Easy Keto Prep

Options
Hey Ladies and Gents!!

I need to make a lot of keto lunches/dinners.
July 10th I'll be getting a tendon repaired on my hand. I will be out one handed for a while.

I was wondering what are some easy recipes that would be possible one handed as well as recipes that I could use to meal prep before going under the knife.

I use Pinterest, but I want to know what MFP suggests! ;)

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    You could cook up a big pot of stew or savoury mince and put it in the freezer in single serve proportions. Individual frittatas can freeze well too.
  • Duelltolose
    Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    You could cook up a big pot of stew or savoury mince and put it in the freezer in single serve proportions. Individual frittatas can freeze well too.

That's what I was thinking of doing. I just don't have a microwave.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Maybe open cans like tuna and store them un something easier to open.

I would freeze foods ahead too. No need for a microwave if you thaw it out. Just reheat it on the stove.

I would have on hand some easy foods too like (peeled) hard boiled eggs, pepperoni, precluded cheese, and easy to eat veggies with some dips. I'd do some bbq'ing, and scrambled eggs too.

Good luck. I hope it goes well. :)

As an aside, will you be put on a glucose drip IV? I don't think many hospitals know how to kelp a keep a person keto. If they don't, you may want to consider increasing carbs a few days prior so your body isn't dealing with extra glucose (transient physiological insulin resistance) at the same time as the shock of surgery.

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

That's what I was thinking of doing. I just don't have a microwave.

I don't either. I usually just set them out to thaw 1-2 hours (or the night) before I need them and then heat them up in a pan with a small smidgen of water at the bottom (to avoid sticking). If it's a meal with 2-3 components, I freeze the various components seperately. Other wise it ends up looking a bit offputing (in my opinion).

The thawing helps keep a decent consitency, but is not really necessary. You can just plop the content into and heat while still frozen (just takes longer).

Also important: low heat! warming it gently does a world of good to keep the consistency good.
  • 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Pre-cooked (or cook one handed) chicken legs/thighs
    I cover mine in garlic, salt, rosemary etc
    Burger patties
    Steaks

What do you normally eat?
  • Duelltolose
    Duelltolose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I just started keto almost a month ago so I've been expirementing a lot! I really love tuna and steak.
    Just don't know if I can open a can and cut a steak :(
    It will be extremely interesting to say the least.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would prep Keto pizzas, wrap and freeze. The fathead crusted ones are pretty good.

My sister and I tend to make our own dough ahead and pre-toppings each pie, pre-freezing during meal prep day. We have not been craving pizza in a while, so I don't have pics to snap for you. You would need to defrost the pizza in your refrigerator the night before, set it on your counter for an hour to let it reach room temperature, before adding your toppings (if you'd chosen to do that fresh, pre-baking.

Pre-made fathead pizza crusts are available at Costco, as are Cauliflower pizza crusts.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    I just started keto almost a month ago so I've been expirementing a lot! I really love tuna and steak.
    Just don't know if I can open a can and cut a steak :(
    It will be extremely interesting to say the least.

If you prep and eat the steak at home (provided you can prep a steak one-handed, might want to try ahead of time): Poke steak with fork, and take a bite out of the whole damned thing. Not very elegant but who cares as long as it feeds you :tongue:

Also, buy pre-cut meat for stir fry. Should be okay to prep one-handed.

For the tuna: try opening a can one-handed now. (hold the hand you won't be able to use behind your back to avoid cheating). If you can manage, then it should be good to go :smile: If you can't manage, then at least you'll know.

I don't know where you live, but in some places they have tuna in pouches, which I think are easier to open (worst case you take a scissor to the sucker).

Check your supermarket to see what easy to prep food they might have that fit your preferred diet. It might be worth it spending a couple of hours examining everything :wink: (did that when I had to cook low FODMAP for someone. Pretty hard as pre-packaged foods often contain things like sellerie and onions...)
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I like to do big creamy chicken casseroles. Super easy and after refrigerated it's easy to slice into equal portions and freeze.

- Buffalo chicken casserole (chicken, bacon, cream cheese, mayo, diced jalapenos, bell peppers, shredded cheddar, Frank's Buffalo sauce)

- Chicken broccoli casserole (chicken, cream cheese, cream of chicken soup, broccoli, shredded cheddar)

• 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hahaha a fork is one way - or use your fingers ;) (we won’t tell)
    You can just dice up a bunch of things in advance which will make your life easier
    Prawns are good one handed food too

Buy garlic in a jar to save having to dice if you’re like me and put garlic on everything :-)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    My go to snacks (I’m on the road a lot so I need something convenient):

Boiled eggs
    Nuts
    Blueberries
    Meatballs (no sauce)
    Beef strips
    Mussels - vinegar and pepper
    Prawns - vinegar and pepper
    Chicken pieces (thigh and drumstick meat - drys out less when cold)!
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I make my husband lunches for the week on Sundays. Super easy and with practically no prep except slicing the peppers and tossing it all in a bag:

Bell peppers w/ranch dressing
    Cheese sticks
    Summer sausage
    Almonds

Once a month I make ahead and freeze a couple batches of:
    Meatloaf
    Meatballs
    Burgers
    Taco meat
    Pulled pork

Keep bagged salads, frozen veggies, cheese, nuts, and avocado on hand and you’ll always have an easy meal in minutes with no prep except reheating.

I’ve had both rotator cuffs repaired a year apart from each other. I’m the cook in the house soI stockpiled my freezer before surgery and it made life super easy!