Low Carb help

Options
I have been told by my doctor to go on a low carb diet. I have been doing well for the most part for I am currently down 5 lbs. in three weeks (for me I think that is good). My problem is that I am still craving sweets. Once in a while I cave but I have been trying really hard not to have cookies or candy. Does anyone have any suggestions to get me through these? The cravings usually come when I am at home in the evening.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    To combat snacking in the evening I will often make a point of eating more during the day- some days I will lose my deficit and go into a calorie surplus. It helps me though. I'll often end up less hungry for a few days.

I also find that skipping breakfast and eating a snack instead works. I'd often rather eat at 9pm the before noon.

Another thing that can help when lowering carbs is increasing sodium. Sodium often ends up low when low carbing. If you don't replace it you could get fatigued and tend towards eating more for energy.

When going low carb, sometimes going lower will reduce appetite too. The closer my carbs are to zero, the less hungry I am. The fewer sweets, or carbs in general, that I have, the less I want.
  • SmogoLosesIt
    SmogoLosesIt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Low-carb is often a good amount of protein, which can fill you up quite a bit. Are you still hungry at the end of the day? Can you try something like blueberries, which are not necessarily low-carb, but they are one of the lower carbs in terms of fruits. If that doesn't hit the spot, maybe allow yourself some Halo Top ice cream :) The chocolate flavor has 6g net carbs in 1/2 cup serving. Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How low carb, and why? How large a calorie deficit are you aiming for, and what's your height and weight? Weightloss is simple, eat less/move more. Nutrition is also quite straightforward, get in a range of nutrients every day without exceeding your calorie target. But this, and your doctor's order, does not take into account the psychological issues, that we eat for other reasons than hunger, how food is part of our social structures, and big business.

Sweets taste nice, so you won't magically lose your desire for them. Trying to cut them out will only heigten your desire. Boredom triggers a desire to eat in many people. Some get cravings from a range of emotions and situations. You need a set of reasonable boundaries, mentally and physically. Exactly how to build yours, is something you have to figure out, but for me, regular meals, no eating between meals, meal planning, including planned treats, and scheduled grocery hauls, as well as being flexible and giving myself some credit, are good habits. I still have to tolerate some cravings, but it gets easier to not act on them, with practice, kindness, and good nutrition.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I do not have a sweet tooth and for the last 8 months or so did not have any sweet cravings. But I picked up a very simple sweet pudding idea - just in case: some cottage cheese, sugar free jelly and a bit of cream. Combine cottage cheese and cream, whip it together. Add jelly - any flavour you like - eat it fresh or put it into portions and freeze it. Very tasty.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Has the doctor specified how low he/she wants you to go with your carbs? Anything under 150 grams is usually considered low carb but there is a huge difference between that and keto.
    When it comes to trying to eliminate sweet foods one of two things can happen. Your desire for them wanes with time and you are no longer tempted, or you often feel you are being denied which makes your cravings worse. The second can lead to the binge and guilt cycle. Which one are you? If it is the first then eliminating foods with sugar while being full on extra fats and proteins is much easier, but if you are the second you need to learn to balance your diet to allow a little treat in here or there or you will struggle to experience success. This, of course, depends upon why you need to be on this diet to begin with as medical conditions can give you little choice.
  • stacyhyoung1
    stacyhyoung1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All the doctor told me was go on a low carb diet, cut out pasta and breads. So he really didn't didn't say how low to go. Medically I am fine as of right now. I do have a family history of high blood pressure and diabetes, which I am trying to beat without medication. So basically I need to loose weight. I am 5' 10" at 239lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Most low carbers tend to start out with cutting refined and highly processed carbs. Foods made with flour (baked goods like bread, pizza crust, bagel, muffin, cookie, crackers, cereals and noodles) as well as those with added sugars (flavoured yogurts, candy, soda, syrups, honey... Basically ingredients ending in "ose" or "extrin".

They also tend to cut back on whole grains like oats, corn and rice. Most will limit the very starchy root vegetables too.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    All the doctor told me was go on a low carb diet, cut out pasta and breads. So he really didn't didn't say how low to go. Medically I am fine as of right now. I do have a family history of high blood pressure and diabetes, which I am trying to beat without medication. So basically I need to loose weight. I am 5' 10" at 239lbs.

So Dr's learn very little about diet and nutrition. Losing weight is a great way to improve your health and decrease your chances of getting some conditions - you don't need to cut out bread and pasta or go low carb to do that though. Doing those things may make it easier for you to stick to your calorie goal, but you shouldn't demonise them or think you have to eliminate them to succeed.
  • leannsandy1111
    leannsandy1111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i am using nut flours and whole grains and seeds in baking. lots of good ideas on web with carb subs, and HELPS with sweet cravings the protein in nuts
  • leannsandy1111
    Options
    I have been told by my doctor to go on a low carb diet. I have been doing well for the most part for I am currently down 5 lbs. in three weeks (for me I think that is good). My problem is that I am still craving sweets. Once in a while I cave but I have been trying really hard not to have cookies or candy. Does anyone have any suggestions to get me through these? The cravings usually come when I am at home in the evening.

use nuts and nut flours and bake your own
  • leannsandy1111
    Options

nut flours and whole grains help keep cravings down. use web for recipes. ",healthy living"
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Somebody mentioned blueberries, that would be a good snack to have.

Also dark chocolate (instead of milk chocolate) might help.

If I’m not eating LCHF I can get into the habit of evening snacking (although with me my trigger is generally wine)!

Low carb doesn’t mean no carb. You can still have a candy bar, or other treats if you you want them (just control the portion size)!

Low carb isn’t only about eliminating its about reducing, you can include the food you really like.

Do you log your food? If not you might find that helpful, that way you can track the amount of carbs, some times starting off LCHF without the proper preperation can lead to OVER reducing carbs making the diet model harder to adapt to.

Good luck OP.