Different weight in different parts of my home! HELP!

Options
Need advice. So one part of my house is putting me at one weight, the other is putting me at a different one(5lbs up) , and again a new one in a 3rd part(7lbs up) Turns out the place I'm taking my weight has been logging me at my lowest. So what do I do? Stick with what I've been going for and see it as lbs lost rather than the total weight or take the middle one for a nice average, or bite the bullet, go for the highest and have to add a good lbs to my 'progress' (or I guess not so much progress)

Its most likely the issue isn't my scale. Its about a year old and I've replaced the battery in the past couple of months. I assume the issue comes from my flat being older than time it's self and on a slant. I can't afford a gym so do all of my weighing and exercise at home. I don't have any friends who I visit regularly enough to log my weight or really feel comfortable enough doing that anyway.

Thank you!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Stop moving your scale around all over the place...just put it in one place and track the trend. The actual number doesn't really matter.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is a matter of accuracy vs. precision. You don't need this to be accurate, but precise as you track a downward trend.

Pick a stable and level point on the floor - one close to a support wall, on tile, etc. Keep variables down to a minimum as much as possible such as taking measurements first thing in the morning after voiding.
  • emmies_123
    emmies_123 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Stick to one location and go with it, I would recommend continuing to use the spot you have been using for consistency. This way the scale is the same, the location is the same, only variable will be your weight.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    JanesGame wrote: »

Its most likely the issue isn't my scale.

Most likely it IS your scale. And the fact that you are moving it around and re-setting the calibration with every move. Put the scale in one location and KEEP IT THERE.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse1 wrote: »
    STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This. I'm trying to imagine why you have to keep moving the scale, and cannot come up with any good reasons.

Put it down, leave it there. FOREVER. Really. Why on earth move it? You are messing with its inner workings. Floor surfaces change and the affect the scale--hard floors are by far the best. I can weigh 10 lbs less if I want, by weighing myself on a pile of cushy towels.

The exact number doesn't matter--the trend DOES.

I weigh first thing in the am, after I pee, stark naked. I can see a trend over time with that. When I am at my parents' place in Florida next week, for a month, I'll just take the number their scale gives me (it is usually 2 lbs more than my scale, for whatever reason), and make sure I see a downward trend for the month I'm there. When I come back, will I have miraculously lost more weight? Nope, but the numbers will make it appear that way. I'll know what happened.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why did you move your scales in the first place? Why would you not believe your weight the first time?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My bathroom floor is tiled in itty bitty tiles circa 1955 ;) and sightly unlevel. I bought a single square tile larger than my scale at the local hardware store to put underneath it. That's where my scale lives. I usually weigh 2-3 pounds more at the doctor, which accounting for clothes, food, etc. puts my scale pretty much on par with theirs.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    A lot of people here clearly have reasonably large floor space if they're asking you why you're moving the scales in the first place...

As someone who only has one non-carpeted room in the house (the kitchen) where there is not really a convenient place to permanently set up a set of scales (because, strangely I don't particularly want a set of scales in the middle of my floor) I can sympathise.

Pick one spot and stick with it. Weigh yourself 3 or 4 times at once in that one spot. My scales normally take 1 weigh to normalise and then I weigh a couple more times to check that the weight is consistent. It's not the best thing for your scales, but as someone who used to calibrate the scales at work (industrial ones that were constantly moved around) they're pretty robust and do not change that much at all (at least not down to the significant figures you're interned in)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    deviette wrote: »
    A lot of people here clearly have reasonably large floor space if they're asking you why you're moving the scales in the first place...

As someone who only has one non-carpeted room in the house (the kitchen) where there is not really a convenient place to permanently set up a set of scales (because, strangely I don't particularly want a set of scales in the middle of my floor) I can sympathise.

My scales live under the sink, I move them into the middle of the bathroom floor if I want to weigh myself... OP is moving rooms, not the same thing!
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    deviette wrote: »

My scales live under the sink, I move them into the middle of the bathroom floor if I want to weigh myself... OP is moving rooms, not the same thing!

What OP said was that they've been weighing in the same place, and then once weighed in a different place (for whatever reason), and notice a discrepancy. I assume they then tried in different rooms to see how much of an effect that had. I've done the same thing, because I was also curious. And yeah it weighed different in different places (I'm fairly sure that our floor is a bit wonky) which is why I also put my scales on the same tile every time.

At least that's how I read the post, please correct me if I'm wrong OP.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Choose the most level spot and always put your scale there.
    I put my scale away when not in use but always put it on the same spot of floor.

The exact number is less important than the change each time you weigh. If you switch to a new spot or a different scale you have a new starting weight from that spot.