Running: your slowest mile

Options
I ran a 16:36. That's about 3.6 mph. I think I have a talent for slow running without breaking into a walk, although I cheated a little because most of it was uphill. I'm not sure I can do that on the flat, but I can try. How slow can you run a mile?

Replies

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    How slow run I run a mile? How about ZERO?

Never ran a mile in my life. Can't get any slower than that. Have run maybe 1/2 that in gym class and the police academy but only under duress.

I've walked and hiked over 10 miles at a time but run? Not unless my life depended on it and even then I'd have to think about it.

LOL!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cant say i've ever tried to run as slowly as possible, but i'm off out for a run at lunchtime, so i'll let you know! :laugh:
  • Themajez
    Themajez Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I restart at the gym, I always start at 4.0 km/hr for 30 minutes. I can do that when I haven't run or exercised for months. That's slower than walking speed. That's a 24 minute, 10 second mile.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I wish I could run that slow. About 4.5mph is about as slow as I can go and not call it walking. I have really long legs though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The only way to really address that would be average times, rather than a slow mile.

Suspect that my slowest would have been a 17 minute mile average, although that was over 33 miles with a lot of climbing.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Does running in place count? I don't think I've kept it up for longer than about 20 minutes, and the effort was maximum - Kinect games are fun. But how do you determine distace when you're not actually moving? Kinect measures high knees and how far off the floor your feet track. The numbers didn't compare well to running on the road or a treadmill.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I run so slowly that time turns back. :)

I've run some pretty slow miles since being older and obese. Never timed them, though. And now I'm zipping along at about a 12:30 mile, so I guess I am out of the competition.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    My current running speed for anything longer than 2 miles is currently at about 5MPH, took me a few dedicated months to get there. On a really good day I can cruise right under 5.5MPH.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I can get as slow as 17:20 or so but easy runs are around the 16:00 mark. Our dog loves it and doesn't even get tired unless we go 5 or more miles. When I tried to run fast all of the time I was injured a lot; now that I try to run slowly I find that is not the case and I am able to enjoy many injury free miles!!
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    15:45 but it was also straight uphill.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I was running about an 18-20 minute mile when I first started. That was 3.5 years and 100 pounds ago. Now I usually average a little under 11 minutes per mile on my usual run, which is a very hilly 10k. During all those runs, I have been faster than everyone on the couch.

Ain't that the truth!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Slowest mile I've ran was on the trail. Like slower than when I first started running. But so much more fun.
  • mandystar
    mandystar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can run 3 miles in 45 minutes on a treadmill. Not sure about outside. I should try it
  • 0ysterboy
    0ysterboy Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found my weight has a huge effect on my speed. At my top weight I would be a bit under 14:00/mile. If I get my BMI <28, I am at 12:00/mile.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I just started running again after 20 years. I am damn proud of doing three 17 minute miles at a time!! Proud to be slow because I honestly couldn't imagine running even a mile a year ago!