Goal: Fat loss, Add Lean muscle but not working

Options
So I am 5’7 and just started in March. Great results first two months, dropped 13lbs in fat and added 15lb in muscle. 3rd month limited change so moved from weight loss to adding muscle. Went from 17-1800 calories to 2100 calories.l and hit my macros. I do 2-3 sessions of cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and then 3 sessions with a trainer. One night arms, then one night back, then one night legs. In my first month with the change I moved from 24 to 27% body fat, added 3/4lb muscle and weight up about 3lbs feels like it’s all in my stomach. My macros are 30% protein, 35% carbs, 35% fat. My gut is saying reduce calories slightly to get the balance of having more energy for strength but not enough to put on more body fat.

I am new at this, thoughts?
Searching for females I am lost on what to do!

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How are you measuring your fat loss/muscle gain, because that amount is very unlikely even for men. How much do you weigh right now?

what Im wondering too. 13 lbs of fat lost and 15 lbs of muscle gained? thats more than a 1:1 ratio(which from the posts read here isnt likely either) and in two months? and not sure if thats a deficit or surplus. but if its a surplus its unlikely. and did that in a deficit(says changed weight loss to adding muscle)
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Mmurray000 wrote: »
    So I am 5’7 and just started in March. Great results first two months, dropped 13lbs in fat and added 15lb in muscle. 3rd month limited change so moved from weight loss to adding muscle. Went from 17-1800 calories to 2100 calories.l and hit my macros. I do 2-3 sessions of cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and then 3 sessions with a trainer. One night arms, then one night back, then one night legs. In my first month with the change I moved from 24 to 27% body fat, added 3/4lb muscle and weight up about 3lbs feels like it’s all in my stomach. My macros are 30% protein, 35% carbs, 35% fat. My gut is saying reduce calories slightly to get the balance of having more energy for strength but not enough to put on more body fat.

How can you point exactly how much fat you lost and how muscles you gained? Something is way off when I read your whole thing.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    Mmurray000 wrote: »

How can you point exactly how much fat you lost and how muscles you gained? Something is way off when I read your whole thing.

Magic.
  • Mmurray000
    Mmurray000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know, the measurements are based on a machine at my gym. I started in deficit and had no leg muscle and I believe that was the dramatic change iver 2 months in weight loss and muscle gain. I went from no exercise to dramatic. Anyway I am sitting at:

152lbs
    27% body fat

To add muscle and not just add weight (happened last month) that is the question I have.

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    Dear MFPeops, it doesn't really matter THAT much what the exact measurements of fat loss vs muscle gain or what have you were in the beginning because the OP was IN GENERAL meeting her goal of losing weight and improving her body's composition.

The issue is that on Month THREE this has changed. It has changed based on two "clues". That your weight has gone up AND that you feel it all went to your stomach.

So your "gut" reaction that you should decrease calories slightly is CORRECT, if we assume that adding to your gut is not the goal here :smiley:
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It’s not working because those 2 goals are very inefficient for the body to perform