Any vegans out there???

Options
I’m very interested in changing my diet! I would love some advice to stick to it!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Veganism is an ethical choice, so your desire to stick to it comes from within you.
  • shelfinn7
    shelfinn7 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat a Vegan diet and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. My weight will always be a struggle but I feel so much better mentally and physically. I started by basing all my meals by whatever veg caught my eye at the shop so at the moment I’m eating lots of asparagus!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What do you find challenging about sticking to it?
  • roscoe2317
    roscoe2317 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am using the mediterranean diet and really like it. I just went to my doctor and she talked to me about diet. The new recommendation is vegan, or as close as you can get. I found a book, with good reviews, call VB6 - Vegan before 6. After 6pm you eat reasonably. It is easy to follow and I am eating vegan 90% of the time.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Been veggie for decades and vegan now. A few tips!
    (1) recognise the genuine addictive qualities of cheese. I spent the first couple of months looking for a decent vegan cheese (they always disappointed!) but a chance conversation with a woman at a food show taught me that cheese is actually addictive and it's not the flavour you're looking for so much as the high. Milk evolved that way to keep the calf coming back to the mother to be fed and in cheese it's concentrated. I now don't use vegan or any other cheese. I very occasionally miss it when I'm looking to make a quick sandwich but that's just me being too lazy to plan properly
    (2) if you like coffee/ tea, find a decent vegan milk. The barista versions are superior if a little more calorific. I felt really deprived and sad when I couldn't even have a nice coffee or tea!
    (3) Remember why you're doing it. I only have to think of what happens to male chicks to make me never eat eggs again. Same with calves and milk
    (4) If you're not already vegetarian, do that first. Baby steps. Then change one thing at a time when you're ready. The 'all or nothing' vegans who judge the slightest hint of a leather shoe or berate you for having a piece of milk chocolate get us all a bad name. Very few people can be 100% vegan all of the time. You will sometimes crack but just get back on it.
    (5) find a couple of vegan/ veggie friends so you can go out without feeling like the weird one and eat at places your omni friends might not want to try.
    (6) Remember that just because a food says 'suitable for vegans' it doesn't give you permission to eat tons of it :D
    (7) Do a little research so you have cool answers for the 'What about your protein?' 'MMm bacon' and 'We evolved to eat meat' brigade :)
  • spenceeyp
    spenceeyp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The hardest part about maintaining a vegan lifestyle is that you can’t overindulge with carbs. I learned that the hard way. But being vegan is fantastic, not only for yourself, but for the animals and nature around you. Beans are your friend.

Oh absolutely. My diet since going vegan (past year) has mainly consisted of carbs. Not that that's necessarily bad but it may take a while for your body to adjust.

Also as vegan get used to being hungry a lot. I don't know what it is but my god I'm hungry a lot. I'm hoping that's going to change as I've recently started taking soy protein shakes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    spenceeyp wrote: »
    The hardest part about maintaining a vegan lifestyle is that you can’t overindulge with carbs. I learned that the hard way. But being vegan is fantastic, not only for yourself, but for the animals and nature around you. Beans are your friend.

Oh absolutely. My diet since going vegan (past year) has mainly consisted of carbs. Not that that's necessarily bad but it may take a while for your body to adjust.

Also as vegan get used to being hungry a lot. I don't know what it is but my god I'm hungry a lot. I'm hoping that's going to change as I've recently started taking soy protein shakes.

People can struggle with hunger if they're not getting enough protein and/or fat. Since you self-describe your diet as mostly carbohydrates, try getting more protein and fat. It may help.
  • breathefire
    breathefire Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Add me! I have an open diary
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    If it’s dues to health issues and your doctor has recommended you to switch diet go for it.
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been vegan since I was a child and while there is no guarantee that you will end up super skinny or fit simply by becoming vegan there are sooo many health benefits to it. If you like cooking and trying new food, you won't have any problems. I'd be happy to recommend some books or blogs, if useful?
  • pinaycoco
    pinaycoco Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    MsEmmy wrote: »
    Been veggie for decades and vegan now. A few tips!
    (1) recognise the genuine addictive qualities of cheese. I spent the first couple of months looking for a decent vegan cheese (they always disappointed!) but a chance conversation with a woman at a food show taught me that cheese is actually addictive and it's not the flavour you're looking for so much as the high. Milk evolved that way to keep the calf coming back to the mother to be fed and in cheese it's concentrated. I now don't use vegan or any other cheese. I very occasionally miss it when I'm looking to make a quick sandwich but that's just me being too lazy to plan properly
    (2) if you like coffee/ tea, find a decent vegan milk. The barista versions are superior if a little more calorific. I felt really deprived and sad when I couldn't even have a nice coffee or tea!
    (3) Remember why you're doing it. I only have to think of what happens to male chicks to make me never eat eggs again. Same with calves and milk
    (4) If you're not already vegetarian, do that first. Baby steps. Then change one thing at a time when you're ready. The 'all or nothing' vegans who judge the slightest hint of a leather shoe or berate you for having a piece of milk chocolate get us all a bad name. Very few people can be 100% vegan all of the time. You will sometimes crack but just get back on it.
    (5) find a couple of vegan/ veggie friends so you can go out without feeling like the weird one and eat at places your omni friends might not want to try.
    (6) Remember that just because a food says 'suitable for vegans' it doesn't give you permission to eat tons of it :D
    (7) Do a little research so you have cool answers for the 'What about your protein?' 'MMm bacon' and 'We evolved to eat meat' brigade :)

Number 7 made me laugh so much! I would like to add you. 🙂