Half Runner Question

I run several Half’s every year. It seems like finding the perfect pre-race breakfast is always a challenge. Don’t want to overload...don’t want to skimp.
So, what’s YOUR perfect Pre-Half Race foods?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Protein enriched cereal for me.

Weetabix chocolate protein crunch is my favourite, and then a salted caramel GU or 2 while racing.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I make 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of soy milk and add a tiny bit of honey and dried pineapple. I aim to eat it 1.5-2 hours before my run.
  • Arch799
    Arch799 Posts: 106 Member
    mine was always peanut butter and toast...
  • Dessilicious
    Dessilicious Posts: 12 Member
    50gr oats and an apple/banana
  • BrantleyHope
    BrantleyHope Posts: 12 Member
    wheat tortilla burrito with scrambled eggs, everything bagel seasoning (trader joes) and avocado inside.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    PB&J on toast with a small cup of coffee a couple of hours before the race. And then a couple of Clif Shot Bloks during the race.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Banana with peanut butter.
  • carynlondon
    carynlondon Posts: 7 Member
    English muffin with peanut butter, sliced banana or apple, and about 1/4 cup raisins, a big glass of water. I eat about 1.5 hrs before leaving home for the race. Something about adding the raisins made me feel like i had more fuel for later.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Oatmeal & bagel with jam!! I usually eat right when I wake up before I get ready. Then I have 3 cliff energy chews right at start of race and 3 in the middle about mile 5-6. Great post, nice to see what others eat before a half, sometime I wonder if I am doing it right, but it seems to work.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    After a lot of experimentation, I've found that two Honey Stinger waffles is just about perfect.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    PB on a Bagel and 15 mins before gun ( sounds wierd ) PB Cookie - fat, carbs and a bit of protien
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Frozen waffle with peanut butter and jam
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    When I saw the name of this thread I wondered which half of you was the runner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    nature valley soft baked bar and coffee
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Two hours before - bagel and cream cheese. When I get to the race site - a banana.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Peanut butter and honey on white bread, banana, coffee, and water. Drink, drink, drink until about an hour and half before the gun.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Bagel with peanut butter, breakfast cookie ( https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-everything-breakfast-cookies/ ).
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    A banana and a small bowl (~100 grams) of yogurt with a sprinkle of granola. The sugar in the banana and granola give me energy and the yogurt gives it staying power.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Coffee.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    When I saw the name of this thread I wondered which half of you was the runner.

Mostly the bottom half.