Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Half Runner Question

I run several Half’s every year. It seems like finding the perfect pre-race breakfast is always a challenge. Don’t want to overload...don’t want to skimp.
So, what’s YOUR perfect Pre-Half Race foods?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Protein enriched cereal for me.

Weetabix chocolate protein crunch is my favourite, and then a salted caramel GU or 2 while racing.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    I make 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1 cup of soy milk and add a tiny bit of honey and dried pineapple. I aim to eat it 1.5-2 hours before my run.
  • Arch799
    Arch799 Posts: 106 Member
    mine was always peanut butter and toast...
  • Dessilicious
    Dessilicious Posts: 12 Member
    50gr oats and an apple/banana
  • BrantleyHope
    BrantleyHope Posts: 12 Member
    wheat tortilla burrito with scrambled eggs, everything bagel seasoning (trader joes) and avocado inside.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    PB&J on toast with a small cup of coffee a couple of hours before the race. And then a couple of Clif Shot Bloks during the race.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Banana with peanut butter.
  • carynlondon
    carynlondon Posts: 7 Member
    English muffin with peanut butter, sliced banana or apple, and about 1/4 cup raisins, a big glass of water. I eat about 1.5 hrs before leaving home for the race. Something about adding the raisins made me feel like i had more fuel for later.
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    Oatmeal & bagel with jam!! I usually eat right when I wake up before I get ready. Then I have 3 cliff energy chews right at start of race and 3 in the middle about mile 5-6. Great post, nice to see what others eat before a half, sometime I wonder if I am doing it right, but it seems to work.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    After a lot of experimentation, I've found that two Honey Stinger waffles is just about perfect.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    PB on a Bagel and 15 mins before gun ( sounds wierd ) PB Cookie - fat, carbs and a bit of protien
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Frozen waffle with peanut butter and jam
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    When I saw the name of this thread I wondered which half of you was the runner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    nature valley soft baked bar and coffee
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Two hours before - bagel and cream cheese. When I get to the race site - a banana.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Peanut butter and honey on white bread, banana, coffee, and water. Drink, drink, drink until about an hour and half before the gun.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Bagel with peanut butter, breakfast cookie ( https://minimalistbaker.com/vegan-everything-breakfast-cookies/ ).
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 597 Member
    A banana and a small bowl (~100 grams) of yogurt with a sprinkle of granola. The sugar in the banana and granola give me energy and the yogurt gives it staying power.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Coffee.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    When I saw the name of this thread I wondered which half of you was the runner.

Mostly the bottom half.