Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Honest opinions on weight loss surgery

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    urloved33 wrote: »
    I'm not opposed to the concept, and I know surgery candidates often have to demonstrate some level of non-surgical weight loss as part of the program.

That said, I only know two people that have had WLS and both of them re-gained the weight - so, it's not a miracle cure and there still needs to be the same level of discipline to maintain results as those that lose weight without surgery.

I thought I read that less than 5% keep the weight off...seems like a failing procedure to me.

Statistics are terrible for sustaining any weight loss long term, including that accomplished without WLS.

while that may be true...when you are going under the knife at phenomenal expense and becoming a high pay out for the insurance company ...you would want the COSTLY PROCEDURE to be viable and it does not sound like it actually is.

What is the source of that 5% figure? The statistics I'm seeing online seem to indicate that it is more successful than that.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    I'm not opposed to the concept, and I know surgery candidates often have to demonstrate some level of non-surgical weight loss as part of the program.

That said, I only know two people that have had WLS and both of them re-gained the weight - so, it's not a miracle cure and there still needs to be the same level of discipline to maintain results as those that lose weight without surgery.

I thought I read that less than 5% keep the weight off...seems like a failing procedure to me.

Statistics are terrible for sustaining any weight loss long term, including that accomplished without WLS.

while that may be true...when you are going under the knife at phenomenal expense and becoming a high pay out for the insurance company ...you would want the COSTLY PROCEDURE to be viable and it does not sound like it actually is.

What is the source of that 5% figure? The statistics I'm seeing online seem to indicate that it is more successful than that.

My 600lb life website. Dr Now.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

My 600lb life website. Dr Now.

The TLC website? I just checked it out and I don't see any statistics about weight loss surgery there.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    anyone that I know that has had any type of weight loss surgery has went through hell one way or another. one thing was the very low calorie diets you have to do for several months after the surgery because your stomach cant handle big amounts of food, some have issues with being able to absord certain vitamins,some have issues with not being able to digest certain food,

one kept having complications from the surgery and died,she was in and out of the hospital over the course of a year the first 3 months she had an issue where a hole opened up in her stomach and she went into sepsis,she was in a medically induced coma for 3 months because she was so bad off they didnt think she would make it. she tried losing on her own and for some reason just couldnt do it.,my hubbys friends has lost a lot of weight but hes not having an easy time.

he isnt losing weight again and hes trying to be more active,but its still not easy he was over 500lbs.(closer to 300 now). in my opinion its harder having the surgery because you are more liable to have issues with things and your health. losing weight withou surgery can have a big impact on health but I think,its more positive impacts and less complications can arise. not saying its the case.most of us work hard to lose weight,but I think those who dont have the surgery dont have to face all the issues those with the surgery do.

only one of them has gained it most of it back and stopped losing only because she thought it would be a quick fix.she obviously didnt listen when they told her she would have to still watch what she ate. most doctors will still make you lose so much weight on your own before you have the surgery especially if you are severely obese,because of safety issues due to the anesthesia.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    IMO, WLS isn't for me. I've never been more than slightly overweight though, so I can't say if I'd still feel that way if I was at the point of qualifying for WLS, since I've never actually been there...
    Anyway, for those at that point, either way they choose, they are making that decision to improve their health and having to commit to that decision to get the results.
    Also, I wouldn't exactly say WLS is an easy way out. Everyone I know who had it still worked very hard after their surgery to continue and maintain the weight loss, including becoming and staying more active as well as following MD advice for nutrition.