discrepancies in calorie count

Options
While logging food and using the MFP database..... I am concerned!! Often the same foods have calorie counts that are all over the place. Some are lower and others twice that amount. That's quite a difference when you're trying to stay in your goal amount. So, exactly how does one use the MFP database correctly? Help... it's overwhelming!

Replies

• mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Scan the barcode then check the packaging that the food came in. If everything matches then you're good
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Pretty much stick with the packaging.

If you're doing home made or cooked recipes, you'll need to use the recipe builder.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    As a new user I found this strange as well, many of the items are entered by users trying to be helpful, the data may not be the most accurate. Look at the measurements, (weight / amount / serving size) and compare it to what you have.
    Look for a green check mark next to an item, this is suppose to be "verified"

Search the internet for a product and can usually find the nutritional values on an external website.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Scan packages, weigh your food with a scale, check the USDA site for stuff like fruits and vegetables. Don't trust what is in MFP
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When it's home cooked (not by me) or there is no barcode available, I use an "average" calorie count - not too high, not too low. It simplifies things.
  • smusicmom
    smusicmom Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Green check means verified? Great I did not know that. Good deal.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    smusicmom wrote: »
    Thank you all. Green check means verified? Great I did not know that. Good deal.

Keep in mind that "verified" just means that a certain amount of your fellow users have indicated that it is accurate. I've found some inaccurate "verified" entries too -- either because our fellow users were wrong or the item has changed after it was verified.