Help needed to understand..

Options

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm very appreciative of your words. I know I'll get to my target and don't think daily weighing is something I'll be continuing with!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    RoyBeck wrote: »
    Thank you. I'm very appreciative of your words. I know I'll get to my target and don't think daily weighing is something I'll be continuing with!

I weigh daily, but I only track my weight once per week in MFP. I consider all other "weigh ins" somewhat of a science experiment so that I understand that weight fluctuations happen. For me, it helps me realize that if my weight bumps up on my actual "weigh in" day it might be just like the fluctuations I have seen on the scale by weighing myself daily (multiple times per day sometimes just to see how it changes from morning to night, etc.) For some people, this habit would be stressful. For me, I like data. Seeing it helps me keep emotion at bay. For people that find it stressful, put the scale in the closet. Hide it until your weigh in day. I've even heard of people weighing in once per month so they can focus on the journey instead of the scale.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Commenting again just to add that I agree wholeheartedly with everything @AnnPT77 stated, expecially that you are doing great.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    2 litres of water weighs 4.4lbs? No way?!
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    2 litres of water weighs 4.4lbs? No way?!

Way.

d3ev70ny752j.png

So how the hell is anyone drinking that expected to lose weight?? It's a losing battle! The body really is very complex.
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    You guys really are great thanks for the responses. I'll watch the video above shortly.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity I weighed myself before and after going to the toilet. I lost 700 grams in less than a minute. Is it relevant to my weight? Not really because I gained it with my next meal. Although my weight fluctuates all the time for many reasons my fat levels don't. This is why trends are way more important than an individual number on the scale.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Your body is made mostly of water. It is the water weight that fluctuates, not your fat.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    OP, sounds like you are still a bit confused. If you drink 2 liters of water a day, you do not gain 4.4 lbs a day--your scale weight goes up, but you have not gained any fat. If you go 7 days drinking that water and creating at least a 500 calorie deficit in the calories in (food) compared to the calories out (what you burn through just living, and exercise), at the end of the week, you will have lost 1 lb of fat. In that same time, you drank 30.8 lbs of water--but you don't gain anything from that water. So, if you are weighing your food, logging carefully, and creating that 500 cals/day deficit every day for many days, you will eventually see the scale drop by roughly 1 lb/week of body fat for however long you maintain that deficit.

What causes the fluctuations that can make it hard to see the loss is that your body is processing out some of yesterday's water and food while taking in some of today's water and food. I weigh very consistently first thing in the morning, after I pee, naked, on the same scale in the same place. I'm very consistent with logging and creating my daily deficit. The scale is all over the place day to day, but roughly every week or two, I see a new low, and the fluctuations happen above that new low. The highest fluctuation goes down, too. So one from week to week I might see this:

235.2 (new low); 235.9, 236. 8, 236, 237, 235.8, 236. 3 (week 1)
    234. 2 (new low); 236.9, 236.4, 235. 2, 235. 8, 236. 7, 235 (week 2)
    233.8 (new low), 236, 235.8, 233.9, 234, 235.9, 236 (week 3)

In the above, my highest fluctuations dropped along with my lowest, from 237 -> 236.9 -> 236.
    What's my "real" weight? It's a range, not a number, and right now all I care about is that I'm showing a 1 lb/week loss of body fat.

Hope this helps!
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Thank you. The scales I use in my gym are to the pound not like 251.6 or whatever it's just 252 or 253. My net this week, without checking, is something like 1900, 2000, 1750, 1800 and today 1850 with 5 miles walked everyday on the treadmill. Also very little sodium and 2 litres of water daily. The scales have read 254, 254, 254 and today 254.

However, as annoying as it is, I've taken on board everything and won't be weighing now until next Friday 6th when I'll update here. Surely it must drop by then????
  • RoyBeck
    Options
    Can I also add I haven't poo'd in 2.5 days!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Can I also add I haven't poo'd in 2.5 days!

That will make a difference! Make sure you're eating enough fiber, drinking enough water (or equivalent), and eating enough fats - no need to go crazy with any of that, just come close to the default nutritional goals. Beyond that, patience.

BTW: I hope you'll see a drop next week, too . . . but remember, a week or two of weight holding steady will happen now and then (especially after you've had a week or two of pretty substantial loss, which you have). It's not really considered a plateau until you've stuck at a weight for a month or more. I know that can be crazy-making, but weight loss does require patience!

Best wishes!