How to deal with impatience?

mutantspicy
mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
Not sure if I'm looking for advice, if you have some please lay it on me. Just want to discuss, my biggest problem in the weight room. When I was young I was football player, and it was no big deal to spend a ton of time in weight room lifting with my team mates, it was competitive and fun.

Over the past few years, I got more into over all total fitness. Was doing circuit training, body weight training, mobility training, plyo, yoga, type stuff. So most of time my workouts were 30 to 40mins, but very little standing around. About 3 months ago, I started getting back into strength training and body building. I love the sense of accomplishment from going up. I love the adrenalin rush, I love whats going on in my mirror. I absolutely hate, I mean cannot stand it at all, just standing around waiting between sets. I hate that my workouts take over an hour, and most of it me standing around waiting for my next lift. I find myself looking at my timer, waiting for that 90sec rest to go by. I don't think there's anything to do about it, because I making some of most significant body changes I've made in years. But damn, I feel like waste so much time.

Replies

• mutantspicy
    LOL!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    stretch between?
    yoga/piyo w/e
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    My program has some supersets written in... otherwise if I am bored I start to lose focus. But yea if you are making progress.. just distract yourself. Take some selfies or something haha.
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    I just people watch which. As my weights have gone up on stronglifts, so has my rest periods between sets and thus so has my people watching.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ...I absolutely hate, I mean cannot stand it at all, just standing around waiting between sets. I hate that my workouts take over an hour, and most of it me standing around waiting for my next lift. I find myself looking at my timer, waiting for that 90sec rest to go by. I don't think there's anything to do about it, because I making some of most significant body changes I've made in years. But damn, I feel like waste so much time.

ditto. superset in stuff that uses different muscles.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    ..although that might require switching some stuff to dumbbells instead of barbell depending on equipment availability.
  • BNY721
    BNY721 Posts: 125 Member
    I superset quite a bit..but when I do compound lifts or isolation on the cable machines..I will switch between some plyo, scanning for the next song to listen to, watch people, or think about what I am eating when I leave. :D
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    OP I feel the same way. I don't set a timer I just go when I feel like going again.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I had squats this morning. Five sets of seven at 6 RPE, then four sets of one at 8.5 RPE. It took me almost an hour and a half. I have to go back this afternoon for bench, deads, pull-ups and rows. That's just the powerlifting life.
  • lindyyy87
    lindyyy87 Posts: 35 Member
    I jog in place between sets sometimes. I see other people walking laps around the gym between sets.
  • mutantspicy
    I do some supersets on my accessory lifts when it makes sense. But yeah overall its just something I have to get used to. I'm focusing more on strength gains right now, so I definitely don't want to be expending too much energy between sets especially on the main lifts. When I'm doing more body building and dumbell type stuff, I tend to do shorter rests and more supersets. But I probably won't get around to that until winter time.
  • Jaiho_Lancs
    Jaiho_Lancs Posts: 1 Member
    Try Brian Alsruhe - giant sets. Basically in between sets he trains the antagonist body part

Bench - to Row
    Dips - Pull up

That way you get more volume in and do more than just standing around... equally it doesn't harm your recovery time as it not the part you are training if that makes sense.

The guys channel is a gold mine of strength and conditioning stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcr-JtlmtVc
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    A giant set isn't a superset but a group of exercises that train one muscle group at a time with 3 or more exercises. Bench to row and dips to pull-ups would be a typical superset.

... and I don't know about you but immediately after a set of pull-ups I'm pretty winded. Jumping immediately to bench press would compromise my intensity. I'll superset some of my accessories, like curls and triceps pulldowns but personally, I'd never superset any of my main compounds unless I was doing very light volume work.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Supersets and/or myo-reps. Read Børge Fagerli's article about myo-reps here: http://borgefagerli.com/myo-reps-in-english/
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Stretch between sets. If you feel up for it, super set. When I'm benching, I usually do shoulder burn outs (t-lift, hammer front lift and "superman lift") between sets. Helps me stay focused and motivated.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited June 2018
    Strategically work in super sets...if doing squats, do something not too taxing (ex) seated calf raise); if doing bench press, do an antagonistic muscle (ex) lat pulldown, etc.).

Personally, I do not even want to look at a cellphone/ipad/etc. while lifting; they steal focus & I have noticed remind myself of all the stresses of work, errands, etc. Maybe bring a notepad/small notebook to record # sets/reps/etc. if you are into that & need something to kill time resting between sets. I personally do not enjoy lifting when I have a cellphone with me (distractions, lack of interacting with others, stress)
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    I find myself looking at my timer, waiting for that 90sec rest to go by. I don't think there's anything to do about it, because I making some of most significant body changes I've made in years. But damn, I feel like waste so much time.

If 90 secs feels like too long, then I'd have to question if you are training hard enough, especially on the compound movements.

Buy hey, if you're making gains, then it's obviously working.