Cholesterol confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    You could also ask your Dr or dietician (not a nutritionist because this would be for treating what is essentially a medical condition) about plant sterols. Very basically, plant sterols are the the plant version of cholesterol and may reduce blood cholesterol levels.

[...] cholesterol in the blood can be reduced on average by 7 to 10.5% if a person consumes 1.5 to 2.4 grams of plant sterols and stanols every day. The scientists found that the effect is usually established within the first 2-3 weeks. Studies, which covered periods of up to 85 weeks, showed that the effect could be sustained throughout that period

(Source: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/nda090731)
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    kpsyche wrote: »
    You could also ask your Dr or dietician (not a nutritionist because this would be for treating what is essentially a medical condition) about plant sterols. Very basically, plant sterols are the the plant version of cholesterol and may reduce blood cholesterol levels.

[...] cholesterol in the blood can be reduced on average by 7 to 10.5% if a person consumes 1.5 to 2.4 grams of plant sterols and stanols every day. The scientists found that the effect is usually established within the first 2-3 weeks. Studies, which covered periods of up to 85 weeks, showed that the effect could be sustained throughout that period

(Source: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press/news/nda090731)

Thanks, this looks interesting. I will definitely discuss with my Dr
  • flagrantavidity
    flagrantavidity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Are you on a Keto diet? There are some individuals who’s cholesterol will sky rocket in the short term but level out in the long term.

This particular study was done with children, but adults have experienced the same thing.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/high_cholesterol_levels_drop_naturally_in_children_on_high_fat_anti_seizure_diet

Just thought I would throw that out there. Otherwise it very well may be heriditary.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, how much weight do you have to lose still? And what are your numbers?
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions and information, needed this too!
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I had a family member see if borderline high cholesterol was diet related by letting themselves eat steak, ribs, wings and fattier meats and food for a set time period. They were even exercising more during that multimonth experiment, but their cholesterol shot up.
    Now they are eating healthier than before their experiment and it is taking longer for the cholesterol to come down, but it is slowly.

I think it gave the a bit more inspiration to eat healthier because they saw how quick and big the impact was.