Natural water flavoring without being acidic

Options
mechwd
mechwd Posts: 29 Member
I have Barretts which basically I have to watch what I eat/drink in terms of controlling and avoiding acid. I have been using MiO as a water flavoring, but I have found myself drinking a bunch of it throughout the day and worry about the chemicals in it, so I want to do something more natural. When ever I research what I could add to my water, it's always things that are bad for my condition such as mint, lemons and oranges. Big no no's for someone like me.

So does anyone have any natural flavorings for their water, that won't induce acid or have bad chemicals in it?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just drink water.
  • mechwd
    Options
    While I would love that, I find that I don't drink enough water throughout the day. And since I play hockey, not drinking enough water is super bad for me :)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    mechwd wrote: »
    I have Barretts which basically I have to watch what I eat/drink in terms of controlling and avoiding acid. I have been using MiO as a water flavoring, but I have found myself drinking a bunch of it throughout the day and worry about the chemicals in it, so I want to do something more natural. When ever I research what I could add to my water, it's always things that are bad for my condition such as mint, lemons and oranges. Big no no's for someone like me.

So does anyone have any natural flavorings for their water, that won't induce acid or have bad chemicals in it?

Mio aggravates my reflux. The crystal lite tubes don't.

Not sure if that's going to impact your condition one way or the other, but it's worth considering.

Also, the crystal lite tubes usually are good for 1-1.5 liters as they're fairly potent. even though they're "recommended" for 16 oz.
  • mechwd
    Options

Not sure if that's going to impact your condition one way or the other, but it's worth considering.

Also, the crystal lite tubes usually are good for 1-1.5 liters as they're fairly potent. even though they're "recommended" for 16 oz.

But doesn't the crystal light have the bad chemicals like MiO does?
  • enickma1221
    enickma1221 Posts: 29 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Not an expert here, but aren't you okay to infuse with various melons, veggies, herbs, ginger, apples, pears, etc?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

What "bad chemicals" in Mio are you worried about?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    At OP, are all fruits out? I like to throw frozen strawberries in my water. It gives just a hint of flavor as it thaws, then you get to eat it when your water is gone. ;)
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I would think maybe something like cucumber or apples would be good? Or maybe some berries.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

For the most part, there's no such thing as "bad chemicals" in food. In other words, don't believe the hype. If Mio works for you and doesn't aggravate your condition keep using it.

I also agree with this. I have Crystal Light packets in my desk drawer for when I'm sick of plain water.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    KeriW0323 wrote: »
    Have you ever looked into essential oils for flavoring water? I personally love lemon or grapefruit in my water. It sounds like they would be acidic but oils are distilled from the rind of the fruit and the citric acid is in the pulp, I have actually found these oils to help with my heartburn. It is very important for you to choose a high quality essential oil and do some research to feel comfortable before you ingest. Feel free to message me with any questions. Just want to clarify before anyone responds negatively, I AM NOT TRYING TO DIAGNOSE OR SELL ESSENTIAL OILS WITH THIS POST, JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE.

This can't be stressed enough. Get food grade oils. Not incense or massage grade.

Regardless of your opinion on benefits or application. Don't ingest essential oils that haven't been certified for dietary use.
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love cucumber water!
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I would think maybe something like cucumber or apples would be good? Or maybe some berries.

Cucumber was the first thing I thought of, I think cucumber water is delicious. But berries would be great too. Maybe mint? Cucumber mint sounds nice and refreshing.

Oh, I see you can't have mint. :(

The other thing I'd like to point out is that there's nothing inherently wrong with the Mio. You could also make iced herbal teas, possibly.
  • eve2018eve
    eve2018eve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The berry and fresh herb ideas are great. You can get more flavour from them by squishing them a bit before adding them.

I find it easier to drink more when I have sparkling mineral water (unflavoured and unsweetened).

I've found that the best way to drink more water is to make it a habit. I keep a water bottle with me throughout the day (on my desk, in my bag, by the sofa, etc.) to remind me to drink more water.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are so many herbal teas to try. You could make a batch and add a small amount to your water glass, depending on desired taste.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I have a water infuser bottle my best friend got me for my birthday. I just put in fruit and herbs (strawberries & mint is a great combination) and I get flavored water that I know exactly what's in it.
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I can attest that strawberries in water is delicious! Peaches? Pineapple? An infuser in the jug/cup will help filter out the pulp and such.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Tea bags! Super easy to make a quick iced tea. Grab a tea bag and a bottle of ice water. Drop the tea bag in and massage the bag into the side of the bottle using a straw/knife/spoon etc. It steeps quick in the cold water if you move the bag around. You can then add slices of frozen peaches, strawberries, blueberries etc if you want to make your own tea flavor.