Need your technique...

Options
How do you guys (as accurately as possible) plan each meal to fit your macro requirement per day?? I always end up short with protein and carbs. I want to do better about planning my meals. Are there resources out there that can plan each meal for you. For example, if I say I want to eat 1500 cal a day using 40% carb, 35% protein and 25% fat...is there some way I can get my meals completely planned out for me for each day and each meal? I hope my question makes sense (and I hope my math was right), I’m totally having a hard time articulating my thoughts here lol! Thanks for any help!!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I prelog...if you struggle to get enough protein, start your planning by adding a protein source for each meal then add other components around it.

Once you've entered your meals for the day, tweak portion sizes and food choices to fit.
  • dersarkissian
    dersarkissian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I prelog...if you struggle to get enough protein, start your planning by adding a protein source for each meal then add other components around it.

Once you've entered your meals for the day, tweak portion sizes and food choices to fit.

How do you add protein without fat? Trying to balance those two is really difficult. I feel like I’ve inadvertently put myself on a Keto diet. Lol
  • zila1397
    zila1397 Posts: 311 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Can you say an example, please?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

How do you add protein without fat? Trying to balance those two is really difficult. I feel like I’ve inadvertently put myself on a Keto diet. Lol

Choose low fat protein sources.

Egg whites, lean meats and seafood, low fat dairy (milk, yoghurt, cottage cheese etc), protein powders, beans/legumes/grains...i dont know about the fat content of tofu/tempeh/seitan etc, but you could look them up.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    zila1397 wrote: »

Meal 1. Egg based - I use 1-2 whole eggs plus extra whites. Add vegies. Add a fat (cheese, avo, oil to cook etc)

Meal 2. Meat with vegies, plus a fat.

Meal 3. Fish plus vegies, low cal noodles. I often use salmon - good for fat too.

Meal 4. Yoghurt. High protein natural yoghurt with extra protein powder for protein, flavour and sweetness. Add fruit and nuts.
  • zila1397
    zila1397 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    zila1397 wrote: »

Meal 1. Egg based - I use 1-2 whole eggs plus extra whites. Add vegies. Add a fat (cheese, avo, oil to cook etc)

Meal 2. Meat with vegies, plus a fat.

Meal 3. Fish plus vegies, low cal noodles. I often use salmon - good for fat too.

Meal 4. Yoghurt. High protein natural yoghurt with extra protein powder for protein, flavour and sweetness. Add fruit and nuts.

Thank you very much
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I would plan to hit my goals is this order:
    Total calories for the day,
    Macros for the day,
    Calories per meal,
    Macros per meal.

But I would also look into
    Is calorie target set appropriately?
    Is macro split chosen wisely?

Then I would aim to get "what I want" to be as close to "what I need" as possible.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on what your needs are. I eat back enough exercise calories to leave 315 in the green. On days I don't exercise, I stick to my minimum. My main priorities after that, are getting enough iron, protein, calcium and vitamin c, in that order.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,539 Member
    Options
    I don't care about macros. Breakfast and lunch is usually sandwiches that I make before going to work. They are easy to log. And dinner: I have a rough idea what I'll cook. I start with logging the high calorie stuff (meat, fish, paneer...), have a rough estimate of how much oil and veggies I'll be using and fill up the rest with potatoes, rice, couscous, pasta, whatever
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don’t pre-plan at all. I just save a few calories for “adjustment snacks”. By that, I mean if it looks like I’m going to be low on protein, I’ll have a protein shake. If I’m low on fats, a handful of nuts and so on.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    How do you guys (as accurately as possible) plan each meal to fit your macro requirement per day?? I always end up short with protein and carbs. I want to do better about planning my meals. Are there resources out there that can plan each meal for you. For example, if I say I want to eat 1500 cal a day using 40% carb, 35% protein and 25% fat...is there some way I can get my meals completely planned out for me for each day and each meal? I hope my question makes sense (and I hope my math was right), I’m totally having a hard time articulating my thoughts here lol! Thanks for any help!!

Maybe you could change your macros as 35% protein could be on the high side. If you get 0.8 grams of protein per pound of goal weight you are getting sufficient protein. If that is the case having a 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat may work better for you.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I prelog my food for the day in the morning. I usually log my planned dinner first then decide on lunch, breakfast and 1-2 snacks.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also/p1
  • TheArchyBunker
    TheArchyBunker Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options

This to a degree as well.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I try to eat balanced meals. Planning my meals out in advance helps me a lot. When I'm putting my meals together I think about where's the protein, where's the fat and carbs. If I'm missing something I'll just add to it.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I don't plan/log ahead, and I don't worry about hitting my macros to the gram. As long as I hit/exceed my protein goal and stay within my calorie goal, it's good enough for me - and has worked well throughout both weight loss and maintenance.

Here's a good list which may help with your food selections:

jgq38c48dzki.jpg