Extreme bulking? Or continue cutting?

Options
So i was about 180 pounds when i didnt even lift or diet and after a year and couple months im 155 pound region. I still feel fat so i was thinking bulking to get more muscle to burn more fat. Coincidentally, the past few months and even yesterday and today, guys at the gym that i sometimes randomly workout with came up to me and just talked about their cutting/bulking and somehow it always ended up to talking about me. They said i need to bulk because i looked skinny (when im sort of not) and so i asked them how many calories you talking for someone like me and most of their responses went like this "At Least 10,000 calories Bro! You gotta force the hell out of those muscles to grow! Thats how you get swole!! I ate about 36 eggs a day and at least 3 pounds of meat!" And then i just keep staring at them at shock. They also mentioned that teens need a **** ton of calories because theyre growing, hence the reason he probably mentioned 10,000 calories.

Is this all true or overhyped and should i continue my cut because my abs arent even visible and i only have a slightly visible 2 pack. And i see a few veins so thats progress but should i be bulking now?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    How tall are you? How old are you? In general, I would consider bulking when you are around 10-12% as a male, you can probably Google a variety of images to see where you are or get an idea from a professional with calipers. Unless you are underweight or close to it then go straight to bulk. That being said if you are a teen just under 20 you are in a prime position to gain muscle.. so either bulk or at least recomp (maintain) I would probably not cut further to take advantage of this time in your life.

I also would not recommend dirty bulking, so eating everything way over your maintenance you will just gain a lot of fat and maybe a little muscle.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »
    As soon as they say the word bro, just stop listening, you do not want advice from that person.

Hahaha :D
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I saw your post on B.B.com too......I didn’t answer cause it almost annoyed me to think people actually assume they’re eating 10000 cals. Unless you’re a strongman, people are exaggerating
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I saw your post on B.B.com too......I didn’t answer cause it almost annoyed me to think people actually assume they’re eating 10000 cals. Unless you’re a strongman, people are exaggerating

He said 36 eggs :(:)
    I would like to think that's an exaggeration as well.

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

He said 36 eggs :(:)
    I would like to think that's an exaggeration as well.

He showed me a video

Cool Hand Luke?
  • Simpyll
    Simpyll Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Advice for bulking -

Google "tdee calculator"

Enter in your info and add 300 to 400 calories to the result. This is your new maintenance calorie intake per day.

Try it for a month. You may or may not gain weight ... If you don't simply add another 200 calories and repeat again the next month. Rinse and repeat until you get the results you want.

Don't eat 10k calories per day lol
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    For reference, youtube some videos on Brian Shaw in what he eats on a DAILY basis (10,000+kcal)...with help from a registered dietician. Brian Shaw = World's Strongest Man (well most of the time at least)...weighs around 400lbs. That's a **** ton of food & a good way to get fat as ****. 10k kcals is considered an "eating challenge" by most
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    Simpyll wrote: »
    Advice for bulking -

Google "tdee calculator"

Enter in your info and add 300 to 400 calories to the result. This is your new maintenance calorie intake per day.

Try it for a month. You may or may not gain weight ... If you don't simply add another 200 calories and repeat again the next month. Rinse and repeat until you get the results you want.

I would but theres that inaccuracy especially for growing teens like me so i dont really know

Bro, how old are you?
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Advice for bulking -

Google "tdee calculator"

I would but theres that inaccuracy especially for growing teens like me so i dont really know

Bro, how old are you?

I agree with what @Simpyll said. At your age, you should set yourself up to gain about 0.5-1.0 lb per week. As long as you're lifting using a progressive overload program focused on compound movements, you should be able to make some good gains. Don't listen to the bros at your gym!
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    Advice for bulking -

Google "tdee calculator"

Bro, how old are you?

I agree with what @Simpyll said. At your age, you should set yourself up to gain about 0.5-1.0 lb per week. As long as you're lifting using a progressive overload program focused on compound movements, you should be able to make some good gains. Don't listen to the bros at your gym!

Ok so just bulk? And should it be like the same clean meals like my cut so that i dont gain fat aka dirty bulk?

Clean vs dirty in terms of bulking is in regard to the amount of the caloric surplus, not the kinds of food you're eating. I'm twice your age, 5" shorter than you, and a woman.... and I bulked on 2800 cals with minimal fat gains. My TDEE is around 2600. I ate pizza, tacos, ice cream, etc. Now I'm recomping and I'm eating the same foods, just slightly less of them.
  • Simpyll
    Simpyll Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Advice for bulking -

Google "tdee calculator"

Bro, how old are you?

Ok so just bulk? And should it be like the same clean meals like my cut so that i dont gain fat aka dirty bulk?

At your age and weight bulking regardless of current body composition is what I'd recommend.