Losing 1 Pound a Day

Options
Ezaleon
Ezaleon Posts: 18 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Is this normal for someone who was 382 pounds? I've done a complete 180 on my eating habits. Going from whatever I want whenever I want to eating healthy. Boneless, skinless, breadless, baked fish and chicken, broccoli, mixed veggies,lima beans, no added salt, no added butter, putting mrs.dash on a lot of stuff, cinnamon in my oatmeal, and eating under 2,000 calories every day. Usually under 1,500 if I am honest. I'm not starving myself and I am eating the recommended daily fat, protein, and carbs that myfitnesspal suggests pretty much every day along with drinking at least 8 cups of water. Is losing 1 pound a day normal for someone my size for the first month or two? I am 368 pounds now, on the 17th I was 382, 376 on the 25th, 372 on the 28th, and 368 today on the 1st. I can't see a doctor until mid or late August so I am hoping this is normal for someone my size. Last time I checked I didn't have diabetes and this only started happening after I completely changed my diet. I'm supposed to be adding exercise on the 9th.

EDIT: I have no clue what my calorie intake was before all of this.

Replies

• dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    A 180 on your diet alone could result in quite a bit of water weight loss at first and coupling that with a huge calorie deficit and I can see how you're losing a pound a day. Consider increasing your calories, though. Especially when you start exercising. You will likely start to feel fatigued because you aren't giving your body enough fuel. How many calories did MFP advise you eat?
  • Ezaleon
    Options
    MFP suggested around 2,100. I have been eating anywhere from 1,100-2,000. I have just been eating when I am hungry. I have not felt tired or anything, I feel completely normal. I do see a fitness coach on the 9th as well at planet fitness where I will be exercising. I knew it might be water weight but I have no tried to lose weight in a while, so it's good to know it's most likely very normal.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Ezaleon wrote: »
    MFP suggested around 2,100. I have been eating anywhere from 1,100-2,000. I have just been eating when I am hungry. I have not felt tired or anything, I feel completely normal. I do see a fitness coach on the 9th as well at planet fitness where I will be exercising. I knew it might be water weight but I have no tried to lose weight in a while, so it's good to know it's most likely very normal.

Eat the 2100, or close to it. 2000 is probably fine, but 1100, if you do it often, risks being a problem waiting to catch up with you: Could be a health problem, could be a binge problem, could be a fatigue/weakness problem, could be hair loss, could be dragging through your days to the point where your daily activity calorie burn drops materially, could be various other problems. A rare day at 1100 might be OK, but you should be hanging out close to the MFP recommended level most of the time. If you told MFP you want to lose 2 pounds a week, that's built into the 2100.

It's normal to lose more at first, through some combination of water weight and reduced average digestive system contents. It should only last a couple of weeks at most, and may be followed by a pseudo-plateau period where there's a lesser scale drop than you'll average over the longer haul. Most people, over a longer period, should be aiming to lose no more than about 1% of body weight per week on average.

Please stay strong and healthy while losing weight - eat your goal calories, or pretty close, on average!

^^^ This! All of this!
  • Ezaleon
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    A 180 on your diet alone could result in quite a bit of water weight loss at first and coupling that with a huge calorie deficit and I can see how you're losing a pound a day. Consider increasing your calories, though. Especially when you start exercising. You will likely start to feel fatigued because you aren't giving your body enough fuel. How many calories did MFP advise you eat?

Fuel is not really the issue here. She has 200 pounds of extra fuel.

OP: Well done for finding the path of a healthier lifestyle. You have a long way ahead of you, and some days will be harder than others. You know this, so when those days arrives, remember why you are doing this.

There will be days that you feel you screw it all up. Thats ok, just pick yourself up the next meal, and dont feed yourself with nonsense ala "I'm done, I *kitten* up, I may as well just be fatter again"

As for your way forward: Dont deny yourself all the food you love, anything can be eaten in moderation, its all about balance. Its a long journey and it will probably be easier if you find a way to include food you actually like.

As for your questions, I wouldnt worry about a one pound per day loss. 1500-2000 calories a day is perfectly fine as long as you get the micronutrients your body needs.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you very much ^_^ I'm not afraid of hitting 2,000 calories or going over even, I always make sure to at least hit 1,000. I just only eat when I am hungry.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've lost 117 lbs and it's still not uncommon for me to show a loss of 7 lbs/wk, though it typically averages out around 4 lbs/wk. 1,700 cal/wk gross.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I'll also add that when you have a lot to lose your weight losses initially will come very quickly and in larger numbers. This will taper off after a few weeks. And don't stress out when you reach a week where you have a slight gain. That's normal too. Congratulations on taking steps toward a healthier you!
  • Ezaleon
    Options
    I'll also add that when you have a lot to lose your weight losses initially will come very quickly and in larger numbers. This will taper off after a few weeks. And don't stress out when you reach a week where you have a slight gain. That's normal too. Congratulations on taking steps toward a healthier you!

That's what I am thinking it is, this is only the first week and a half I have changed my diet. I'm thinking it's the calorie cut but I am attributing this to water weight at the moment.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    If you feel good, keep doing what you’re doing. And don’t be disappointed when it slows down.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Ezaleon wrote: »
    Everyone, I'm not going to eat 2,000 calories just to eat 2,000 calories. I'm eating when I am hungry and sometimes I am eating even when I'm not. I'm just not over eating and making myself feel stuffed after eating like I used to. I'm not TRYING to eat under 2,000 calories, just been eating healthier foods that keep me full longer. I was not asking for tips on how to lose weight, I was just asking if this is normal for the first few weeks is all. I'll be seeing my doctor soon, I will take guidance from them if that is alright with you all haha.

Looking forward to hearing what your doctor has to say because, yeah, at almost 400 lbs, you're not eating enough. At least eat some calorie dense foods to get the fuel without having to actually eat more.
  • ServusChristi
    ServusChristi Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ooops I wrote 1,700 cal/wk gross when I obviously meant per day. I agree with everyone who says 1,000 isn't enough. It will doom you to failure.