I WANT TO LOVE RUNNING

Options

Replies

• Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - find something that you do love. You might consider walking or hiking.
  • Mandylou19912014
    Mandylou19912014 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I hate running! I get about 5 minutes in and feel like I’m going to die! Cardio in general is something I hate .. what I try to do is aim to get my cardio out of lifting weights. I’ll lower the weight and increase the reps which ends up leaving me out of breath etc. If you really do want to start running then I’d say start off with power walking and then jogging for say a min and power walk etc until you get to a point where you can just carry on running?
  • hoofman04
    hoofman04 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m Katie! Lately I’ve been struggling a lot with anxiety. I’m being medicated for it but I want to find an outlet when I’m angry/stressed. I really want it to be running! Unfortunately, I always hated running. I want to learn to love it but I don’t know how! I need friends on here to motivate me to run as much as I can! Maybe then I’ll learn to love it! I also use the run tracking app to keep me accountable. Anything helps y’all! Thanks❤️

Heres what you do because i love running and use to hate it to. Start off small like jog a half mile at your own pace and gradually build up your distance. Focus on your breathing to. I can run 3 miles and not even be huffing and puffing or out of breath. Once you can jog 2 miles then focus on picking up the pace. Over time your heart and lungs will become stronger. Pick out a play list that gets you pumped. You can tune your breathing into the rhythm of the the song. You will begin to enjoy the stress jogging and running helps elimate. Give it a shot!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I hate running! I get about 5 minutes in and feel like I’m going to die! Cardio in general is something I hate .. what I try to do is aim to get my cardio out of lifting weights. I’ll lower the weight and increase the reps which ends up leaving me out of breath etc. If you really do want to start running then I’d say start off with power walking and then jogging for say a min and power walk etc until you get to a point where you can just carry on running?

that just means you're going too fast and expecting to be able to do more than you can. no one wakes up and runs a marathon without training, just like you didn't wake up and PB your squat or deadlift, you train so it gets better...
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Why run if you don't want to? However, there are quite a few studies that suggest that running kind of rewires your brain and helps against depression. Not sure how this compares to other endurance type exercises though. I only now that running helped me through a major depression.

If you want to run then start slowly, keep you speed low, so low that you can still talk. if you can't run then run short, slow intervals and then walk again. You'll get better. and chose a nice area, like a park, forest or whatever is interesting, has birds singing, something to see.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    You won’t be able to love it first to run, you’ll have to run first to love it. Does that make sense?

But start small distances, achievable distances, you will enjoy it more if you can fully complete a run, if you set the bar too high and fail then you won’t love running. And when it feels it’s not challenging enough then you increase!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

But, you see, the first five minutes are the worst part of any run.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

But, you see, the first five minutes are the worst part of any run.

And I was going to say, the first mile is the worst part of any run, as you get more fit. I can tell after the first mile if I should stop--I stop if I don't start feeling better in that 2nd mile. This has served me well to avoid overtraining injuries most of my life.

But, you gotta get to the point where the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., mile feel better than the first one, and that just takes commitment.

• aussieintn
    aussieintn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think many people start too fast. If you haven't been running, start barely above walking pace, or even at walking pace. Instead of walking, change your form a little and run at the same pace. You're not in a hurry, 4 mph (15 minute miles) is plenty fast enough, maybe you can even get down to 3 mph and keep that gentle running form. Let everyone else pass you. Make it an easy, relaxed exercise. Just keep that same effort each day.

That's a way to start. Everything else can come later, much later.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey I’m Katie! Lately I’ve been struggling a lot with anxiety. I’m being medicated for it but I want to find an outlet when I’m angry/stressed. I really want it to be running! Unfortunately, I always hated running. I want to learn to love it but I don’t know how! I need friends on here to motivate me to run as much as I can! Maybe then I’ll learn to love it! I also use the run tracking app to keep me accountable. Anything helps y’all! Thanks❤️

I hate running as well. Not because of running, but for the pain i felt during and after a jog.
    I have no problem running when playing football (Soccer). So you may want to make things a little more interesting to change the perspective on running.
    I passed by a group of adults playing tag in Central Park a while ago. It looked like so much fun. People were sprinting and laughing. Every since it became a movie, people have been getting together all over the country to play. This may make it more fun for you.

Having said that, i work in a highly competitive, highly stressful environment and I found that a little bit of "violence" goes a long way.
    Been doing Jiu Jitsu for years now and after each class, i am so tired that there's no stress left in my body.
    I sometimes take MMA classes, including Muay Thai and classic boxing, and hitting that bag until your arms and legs are numb is the best *de-stresser* there is. (Well... For me it is)

Hope this helps.
  • EmmaM1997
    EmmaM1997 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way. I started with Couch to 5K and when I started I struggled to run for even a minute! But the more I pushed through and just did it the more results I saw which was really motivating. It's surprising how quickly your fitness improves even from one run to another. Just don't push it a the beginning by running too fast or every day and don't feel bad for missing a couple runs, it'll happen. Just get back on the wagon.
    Good Luck!
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I sucked at running, and hated it too...but as a busy mom, it's a nice excersise because I can do it when i want (have the time).
    I am using the C25K app - and doing all days 2 times before moving on, as I have a tendency to get injured if I go too fast. I listen to audio books while running, and I'm actually enjoying it by now
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    “LOVE” is overrated. Even the best runners have days where they just don’t feel like getting out. After 5 years as a runner I still have that love-hate relationship with running: the toughest part is the first 5 minutes, then you get in the groove. Don’t focus on whether you love it or not - try getting into a routine for a month or two
  • rnamy23
    rnamy23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me, it was training up to running distance slowly. I started with the couch to 5k program, to get my cardio in better shape. From there I just continued to build on that base. I currently am training for my second half marathon. A year and a half ago, I would have laughed if someone would tell me I would be getting up at 5 am to run 10 miles. I think as your cardio gets better, and when your running feels like more of relaxation than a chore, you will find it to be almost a form of meditation. It really does get better if you stick with it!
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Random addition here - I want to love running - or at least be ABLE to run - because literally I have dreams about running - not effortlessly, but amazing!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I would never have imagined that I would like running. I'm a self-proclaimed couch queen and the thought of me running still feels odd an out of character.

When I first started, I hated it. I could only run for a few seconds. Not a minute, not even 30 seconds, but more like 10 or 15. Walking was no longer as challenging so I wanted something more. I built up my time and then discovered how slowing down is okay, that I didn't have to run as fast as I could and that I can go longer and it feels better that way. The first time I ran for two minutes it felt like such an accomplishment. I loved the feeling so much that I continued running several times a week. I built up my time very slowly. I'm talking something like 2 years to be able to run 30 minutes vs the how C25K expects you to run that long within 8 weeks. It was smooth sailing after that.

During a run, I hate it at first, then at some point during the run I like it, there are even a few minutes where I love it, then I hate it again towards the end, then when I'm done I feel so good, accomplished, and elated.

It has made worlds of difference for my anxiety. At first, I didn't even notice it was doing anything, but after about a year I looked back and thought to myself "I've had fewer serious anxiety occurrences than I ever had in any year", which made me want to continue running even more.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you may have to hate it for a while before you can love it. I still have a love/hate relationship with it at times. I've found out that it is A LOT more complicated for me than to just "go running" and become great at it.

At first it was the mental aspect of it. It was all about learning how to power through and keep going. C25k was immensely helpful for this, every day I surprised myself by running farther than I did the day before, even though I didn't think I could. For me it's very much mental, I don't get any better unless I push myself more and more every day.

I also learned that I had to take care of myself a little better. It wasn't only about diet, I also had to stay hydrated, do a lot of stretching, foam rolling, etc. It wasn't just about running, it was also about rest and recovery. I had to push myself but not overdo it and give myself shin splints (again) or plantar fasciitis (or anything else).

I found out the hard way that shoes were very important for me. I got fitted for a pair of shoes at a running store, they fit great and had a lot of cushion as recommended for my suppination. I ran for 6 months in them and saw very little improvement. I tried all kinds of things, more stretching etc. and sometimes they helped but not enough. I'd still run about a half mile before my calves and hips started to burn. I didn't believe shoes had that much to do with it but one day I finally decided I was out of options and got a pair that was more supportive and my first run in them was better than I'd had in months. So it's not about just getting fitted, it's also about finding shoes that work for you.

After all that, it started to get better. Then I had to worry more about chaffing, blisters, and staying hydrated on long runs. There's always a new set of challenges for something that seems like it should be so easy, but I just keep going.
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    The turning point for me to enjoy my running rather than just been glad I’d done it was simply to slow down. After an injury I slowed down one day and enjoyed it so much more. Try it. Throw walks in if needed.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had my first actually enjoyable run yesterday. I started with walk/run intervals and ended with me running for 15 minutes straight which I don’t think I’ve done since jr high. It’s true what they say, that the first 5 minutes or so is hard but after that you kinda get in the groove and feel like you can just keep on going. Of course I was going like sloth pace, but I was still running. I was so proud of myself. Keep up with it and you will get better.