Running and Sunscreen

Options

Replies

• Ninkasi
    Ninkasi Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena Age Shield, SPF 110. It's my regular sunscreen because I'm super fair. I like it because it's not greasy. A lot of people have told me the protection is all the same after about SPF 50, but I'll pay the extra couple bucks just in case. Augment with shades and a hat.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    How long are you out for and how fair are you? Because honestly, if I know I'll be in the sun for an hour or less I don't even bother with sunscreen.

Also, where do you live. Here in New Zealand you can get burnt in just 5 minutes during summer, and I've been burnt on a sunny day in winter before - not enough crap in our atmosphere apparently!! An hour without sunscreen would have me with serious blisters on my face and in a lot of pain. I couldn't believe it when I spent a month in Italy and could wander around much of the day without sunblock, just a hat, and simply ended up with a nice tan.

I hate sunblock when running so always wear a hat, sunscreen below the eyes only, and run early morning or evening during much of the year.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I would just like to say: Judging from your pictures, not one of you has ANY idea what you are talking about.
    Try being a bald guy, with no hair to keep the sweat on the top of your head, so it all comes pouring down into your eyes.
    I speak with authority.
    Wear sunscreen.
    Apply the sunscreen one to two hours before setting out. It seems to get absorbed better and stays out of your eyes better that way.
    Nothing is perfect, however.

I'm a bald guy...
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I live in Arizona
  • happytree923
    happytree923 Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    Asian sunscreens all the way! It seems Asian consumers care a lot more about sun protection than American ones, so they've really perfected sunscreen.

I order a Japanese one off of Amazon: Biore Perfect Face Milk (the white one -- the blue and pink ones are tinted). I recommend it to all my friends, and the 5 that have actually tried it all ordered a bottle for themselves. I tend towards oily skin and this sunscreen is mattefying. It barely has any smell and it goes on very smooth and absorbs well. It doesn't feel or smell like you are wearing anything but maybe a very thin, lightweight moisturizer, and the SPF is pretty high! Plus the cost is reasonable -- $7 for a bottle that lasts me a month (I wear sunscreen every day for anti-aging purposes). I don't make a point of exercising with it on, but I have before and don't recall it ever running into my eyes. It does take awhile to get to the States, so I order 3 bottles at a time and reorder when I'm on my last bottle.

I have never found an American sunscreen that rivals it -- even the very expensive ones are just not as good.

Asian sunscreens are great for everyday wear, but they're not designed to be water resistant. The FDA has strict rules about when a sunscreen can claim to be water resistant on the label, much higher standards than other countries, I would never wear an imported sunscreen for exercise. They're awesome for daily use though!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Neutrogena SPF 100 sport is what I use on my face everyday. Today got to 105° so I sweat while outside regardless of how much physical activity I am doing. I spray an SPF 70 everywhere else every morning as UV does penetrate clothing.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cap and sunglasses, sunscreen only below eye level. Sweatband is a semi-alternative to the hat, if you have plenty of hair. ;)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I would just like to say: Judging from your pictures, not one of you has ANY idea what you are talking about.
    Try being a bald guy, with no hair to keep the sweat on the top of your head, so it all comes pouring down into your eyes.
    I speak with authority.
    Wear sunscreen.
    Apply the sunscreen one to two hours before setting out. It seems to get absorbed better and stays out of your eyes better that way.
    Nothing is perfect, however.

I'm a bald guy...

You win then!
    Er...
    No.
    Lose, really.....
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Bullfrog Marathon Mist in the continuous spray can was my favourite, but it seems to have been discontinued. They make a "land sport" and "water sport" sunscreen now, I suspect it's been rebranded as one of those (I haven't tried either). Coppertone Sport is my second choice.
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Asian sunscreens all the way! It seems Asian consumers care a lot more about sun protection than American ones, so they've really perfected sunscreen.

I order a Japanese one off of Amazon: Biore Perfect Face Milk (the white one -- the blue and pink ones are tinted). I recommend it to all my friends, and the 5 that have actually tried it all ordered a bottle for themselves. I tend towards oily skin and this sunscreen is mattefying. It barely has any smell and it goes on very smooth and absorbs well. It doesn't feel or smell like you are wearing anything but maybe a very thin, lightweight moisturizer, and the SPF is pretty high! Plus the cost is reasonable -- $7 for a bottle that lasts me a month (I wear sunscreen every day for anti-aging purposes). I don't make a point of exercising with it on, but I have before and don't recall it ever running into my eyes. It does take awhile to get to the States, so I order 3 bottles at a time and reorder when I'm on my last bottle.

I have never found an American sunscreen that rivals it -- even the very expensive ones are just not as good.

Asian sunscreens are great for everyday wear, but they're not designed to be water resistant. The FDA has strict rules about when a sunscreen can claim to be water resistant on the label, much higher standards than other countries, I would never wear an imported sunscreen for exercise. They're awesome for daily use though!

That particular one is labeled to be water- and sweat-resistant on the Amazon page, but admittedly I can't read Japanese so I don't know for a fact that that's what it says on the bottle. I do love it for daily use.
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options

I mean, other governments also regulate what can be labeled water/sweat resistant. The US isn't the only one. For Japan specifically, a sunscreen is classified as a "daily/commuter" sunscreen or a "sports/active" sunscreen depending on how sweat/water resistant it is. You can find this info on sites like ratzillacosme.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I have an awesome factor 30 by neutrogena that is so good I forget I’m wearing it. And I hate wearing sunscreen
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Another vote for SunBum - and I do have sensitive skin and have used both the stick and the lotion without incident.

I hope you're ok. It freaks me out to hear about people not wearing sunscreen. Are you young? I find people get more fanatic about sunscreen when they're older and all of a sudden their friends look like very different ages because of sun damage.
  • drbeanie2000
    drbeanie2000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    I live in Arizona

I'll admit I'm paranoid about skin damage from sun, which is helped by the fact that I HATE SUNBURN! It freaking HURTS. It makes me look awful.

Just had my reunion, and I'm in my 40s. Our physical ages varied by a good ten years, mostly based on our skin. Gray hair can be touched up! The leatheriest-skinned ones didn't seem to mind displaying a VERY active outdoor life either in full sun all the time, at high altitude, or whatever. That's discounting the several woman who had died of skin cancer.

My brother-in-law doesn't seem to mind either. Drives around in his convertible all day getting burnt as all get-out. Gets a melanoma, has it removed, wears a hat for a while, then seems to drop that concern.

15 minutes in the sun without sunblock is fine, even according to my pale-as-anything red-headed doctor who's fanatical about skin exposure. Otherwise I worry.

Lecture ends here!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AJB1014 wrote: »
    Another vote for SunBum - and I do have sensitive skin and have used both the stick and the lotion without incident.

I hope you're ok. It freaks me out to hear about people not wearing sunscreen. Are you young? I find people get more fanatic about sunscreen when they're older and all of a sudden their friends look like very different ages because of sun damage.

Sun Bum is a brand name.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=sun+bum&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=241654194902&hvpos=1t3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17914685826798420318&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007544&hvtargid=kwd-296251145880&ref=pd_sl_9dqtmlh3iz_e_p38
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I use the R&F sunscreen
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I don't wear any. Just a hat. I spray some of the sprayable on my shoulders since that is where I typically get burned, and that's it.