Leaving WW

Options
shellyd42
shellyd42 Posts: 1 Member
I just left WW and this is my first day here. I am struggling and need to try something different.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. Read the stickies at the top.
  • longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is similar to WW in that you still need to weigh and measure your food and track it. I’m currently following WW as well and other that I seem to be allowed more food, there’s not much difference.
    What are you struggling with - WW, figuring our MFP or just following any plan?
  • LisaT175
    LisaT175 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am on the fence on leaving WW and just go with MFP or using both,, but either way the I'm looking for support to help me stay motivated
  • harley79
    harley79 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Me to I'm a member of WW which plan is better I like FP counting calories better but I like all the foods u don't have to track with WW
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I am a WW member, but I don’t really follow their “points” program. I go to the meetings for the support and for the accountability of weekly weigh-ins.

I log all my food here. I used to convert the numbers here to points there, but when they made all the lean proteins free and stuff, it’s made things really weird to do that.

I found logging food to be much more effective here anyway because you know your macros - you know the protein, fat, carb, fiber numbers, etc. Data is knowledge. Points don’t offer any knowledge over the types of food you’re having. If I’m hungry, I need to know if it’s because I’ve eaten only carbs for the day, or if I need to have more protein, or more water, or even fiber.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I tried WW twice and was frustrated and disappointed both times. Mostly a big push to buy all their gadgets and stuff at the meetings. Lots of overweight people at the meetings and nobody was really losing any weight. Just when I figured out the point system they changed it. Bye-bye WW. My friends who still belong are still quite overweight, so what's the point other than to commiserate with people in the same boat? I'm sure there are people for whom it is good, but it is a big business owned by very rich people (including Oprah) and their bottom line is to make money not to make you healthy and fit.

MFP is basically just tracking all your calories to the best of your ability. It has worked for LOTS of people. Check out the Success Stories threads and you shall see. There's a really good support system to be found here and it doesn't cost a dime.

ETA (edited to add for the newbies): there are no FREE foods. All foods have calories, so the idea that foods are free to eat at any time is just a silly gimmick.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    Options
    Check out Motivation and Support board fo Non WW & Newbies...

I just made WW Goal and Lifetime after going from 376 to 181 after five years.

Whatever works for better health to your success.

• cwsweetpea28
    cwsweetpea28 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am doing WW online did good the first couple weeks but I may be canceling it at the end of the month.
  • gainer39911
    gainer39911 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    WW and MFP are both calorie counting programs. It's just that WW uses the gimmick of "free foods" to make it appear that you can eat more. In reality, the "free foods" are taken into account by their assumption of how much them you will eat. MFP is more transparent, and makes it easy to also account for exercise calories. But in both programs you need to log everything you eat. Three years ago my wife and I decided to lose weight. She used WW and I used MFP. Over the next 10 months, I lost about 60 lb (210 to 150) and she lost a proportional amount. So both programs work. The advantage to MFP is that it is free and in my opinion gives you a more honest assessment of what you need to do to make progress.
  • angie4752
    angie4752 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for two years at first I lost 50 pounds in a year. But they went to the free style and even if there is free food it doesn’t mean it’s calorie free. I was not loosing anything on WW and still need to loose 20 pounds so I switched to MP and I find I eat more and better foods. I lost 3 pounds the first week. I also switched from the Fitbit to the Apple Watch , you have to earn 30 minuets in activity which is harder than just a normal walk. But I think it should be which ever one works for you. And which one you will stick to. I do miss the post from all the WW members if I could just have that part it would be nice.