at how many lbs lost did you go down a size?

Options
kiela64
kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
This is just out of pure curiosity.

I've lost about 25lbs, and I'm still the same clothing size (18 women's/XL tops), and I'd bet it would be another 10-20 before I could comfortably fit into my old size 16 clothes & L shirts. (I have a little hamper in my closet of them because I was determined to get back there - but that was in 2015 lol :# ) Everyone's body is different, but it definitely seems like a massively wide range for a single clothing size on one person!

I'd be interested to hear about what that was like for you, if you've dropped a size (or more).

I'm guessing it has to do with body shape and where you carry weight - I have wide hips and so even though my pants are looser on the waist and thighs, I've definitely not sized down out of them yet.

Replies

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was a loose size 16 in January lost 21lbs now in a loose 12 (tight 10 lol depending on the jeans)
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 4" and a 16 fit way too well. I have lost about 25 and am a tight 12.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    It's hard in the US because sizes aren't really standardized. I find discrepancies even in the same brand. For example, I have a pair of size 16 pants that are getting loose, and so I bought a pair of size 14 jeans from the same designer thinking they'd be good and I can't even pull them up over my hips. Plus, I also think that the bigger you are, the more you have to lose to go down a size. I'd say on average, for me right now, it's probably 15-20lbs per size. I know having lost weight before that once I got to a size 10 and under that it was more 10lbs per size. Keep in mind though, this is all completely arbitrary.
  • NHDaisy2
    NHDaisy2 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it has to do with body shape and where you carry weight - I have wide hips and so even though my pants are looser on the waist and thighs, I've definitely not sized down out of them yet.

My guess would be exactly this as I am finding the same thing for some of my clothing items. I also think that the cut of the clothing plays a role because a size L in one brand fits, another brand too small, another brand too large.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Cheap Asian sized clothing is ridiculously small.
    I go into better clothing manufacturers I can be a medium depending on cut.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I was a size 18 and in XL tops. I have lost 50 lbs, and I am in L tops. That's the majority of tops that fit me. I probably have another 10 lbs to lose before I will fit into M tops. On the other hand, in losing those 50 lbs, I went from a size 18 in pants to a size 10.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6, 156 lbs and a size 10. I can get into an 8 when I am 145-148.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Cheap Asian sized clothing is ridiculously small.
    I go into better clothing manufacturers I can be a medium depending on cut.

I absolutely cannot wear Asian sized clothing. It's 2 or 3x smaller than regular sized clothing. Cute designs but I'm not even playing around with that sizing bs. Even when I was a size 0 or 2 I would have been a 6 in their sizes.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you're doing to lose the weight. I am 5'3 and have floated between 160 at my highest, and 130 at my lowest for well over 10 years. When I was at my highest of 160 I fit 8's well, and was jamming myself into 6's. When I would lose weight by simply dieting I could get to the lower to mid 140's and my 6's would simply fit better. This time around, I started at 155. All pants were a size 8. My 6's all blew out in the thighs so I have no clue if 6's would fit or not. This time, I am doing strength training AND cardio in addition to eating less. I dropped the same 15ish lbs. that I typically do during the summer. But this time I am down from size 8 to size 4. I'm 6 months in.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    Also, yes sizes from Asian clothing manufacturers seem to run small all the time. I got an XL dress around the new year thinking it would fit well, and it fit more like a Medium at the time I got it. Actually almost all the dresses I got from them were ill fitting all around. I can't even wear them now at a smaller size. I'm sure that has more to do with buying cheap clothes from a cheap online retailer though. Lesson learned there. I won't buy anything anymore I can't try on, or at least easily return.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Asian sized clothing is soooooo bad for the ego!
    Don't even bother getting clothes on line because of Asian manufacturers...unless you like throwing away $$$
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found that the size shifts accelerate the closer I got to normal sizing.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Asian sized clothing is soooooo bad for the ego!
    Don't even bother getting clothes on line because of Asian manufacturers...unless you like throwing away $$$

I stick to Amazon items with reviews from here on out, If I am an ordering online. I can see what people are complaining about, and sometimes people even post pics! I love seeing what they will look like on normal people and not the overly photoshopped stock pics. Then worst case scenario I can just return it to Amazon in the mail.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It depends. I lost a pants size about every 10 lbs. I'm 5'8, 190 lbs, and size 8 now. I don't have big hips and only carry weight there when all other options are exhaused, haha. However, I still haven't lost a shirt size, so I think that is going to take a little longer.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, Asian clothing sizes are much more accurate than US clothing sizes due to vanity sizing. If you've ever picked up a gorgeous Vintage size 10 dress, I can almost guarantee that that size 10 is going to be significantly smaller than any size 10 that you can find in stores right now.

When I was in High School I weighed 135lbs at 5'2" and was a size 8/10. About 8 years ago I actually got down to that goal weight and was a size 4.

Basically, vanity sizing has ruined us all LOL
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I am down 30 lbs so far and have yet to go down a pant size (FYI I am 5'4") but I have gone down from a size Large in tops to a medium so I have that going for me. Pant size still a 12 but I'm thinking in another 10 lbs i'll be a size 10.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm 14lbs down and my pants are a tiny bit more loose, but most of my weight loss has been upper body area so far. Size 16 pants are loose, but 14 is a little snug still. If my next 14lbs comes off my hips and thighs more, I might be able to drop a size in pants.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I found that the size shifts accelerate the closer I got to normal sizing.

I read a good analogy once, can't remember where. Think of it like a roll of kitchen paper and each sheet is a lb. With a full kitchen roll the first sheet might go a third around the tube, so you'd need several sheets to take off a layer. But by the time you get to the last sheet, it's probably going around the tube one and half times so it takes a lot less to remove a layer of paper.

Good analogy. I, too, found that sizes were more pounds apart when I was larger, and progressively fewer pounds apart as I got smaller, in general. With weight loss, I went from around 16-18 women's to 4-6 around misses (US sizes).

Before that, I'd gone from maybe 20W (possibly more) to the 16-18W without losing any significant weight at all, just becoming more athletic . . . took like 10 years, though. ;) (No, not just vanity sizing: I saw reductions in inches, and in the fit of older clothes.)
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The difference between a size 6 & a 4 (US) is less than 10 lbs for me. The idea of wearing a 2 right now is laughable, so I am guessing it would be another 10 if I wanted to be that small.