Parkour - calories

Options
yirara
yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I joined a 90 minutes beginner parkour session today and really wonder how many calories I might have burned. For a 37 minute interval bodyweight workout with minimal breaks I give myself about 250kcal (of course less for shorter workouts). If I eat them all back my weight stays the same, thus I'm fairly confident with the numbers.

Here I obviously had breaks and the exercises were different: lots of jumping, active swinging, climbing. But also balancing which doesn't do much calorie-wise, warm up and stretching. I feel inclined to also give myself 250kcal. Any better suggestion? I try not to lose more weight, and I'll probably only do this once per week. At least when I can afford it.

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Heeehee! Anything "parkour" brings an image to mind of the guys from The Office flopping around everywhere yelling "HARD CORE PARKOUR!!!"
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

:D:D:D
  • yirara
    Options
    Heeehee! Anything "parkour" brings an image to mind of the guys from The Office flopping around everywhere yelling "HARD CORE PARKOUR!!!"
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Ok, I've not seen the office but I can assure you that my attempt was not graceful, nor very strong :* I did manage to hit my eyebrow on a metal bar when swinging and jumping from one to another :D:D:D
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Oh no!!!!! Well, graceful or not, it sounds hardcore!

• yirara
    Options
    πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚Oh no!!!!! Well, graceful or not, it sounds hardcore!

Haha! It certainly was a lot of fun! <3
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    HARDCORE PARKOUR!

TOTAL RADNESS BURNS ONE MILLION CALORIES!!!

For real though 250 sounds about right!
  • mamasara2
    Options
    Buahahahaha! Right on, @Sp1tfire !!!!

Gotta get me some of that radness...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: Β»
    I joined a 90 minutes beginner parkour session today and really wonder how many calories I might have burned. For a 37 minute interval bodyweight workout with minimal breaks I give myself about 250kcal (of course less for shorter workouts). If I eat them all back my weight stays the same, thus I'm fairly confident with the numbers.

Here I obviously had breaks and the exercises were different: lots of jumping, active swinging, climbing. But also balancing which doesn't do much calorie-wise, warm up and stretching. I feel inclined to also give myself 250kcal. Any better suggestion? I try not to lose more weight, and I'll probably only do this once per week. At least when I can afford it.

Sounds crazy fun, but your guess sounds as reasonable as anything. It's the not the nature of activity where any kind of device is likely to give you an accurate estimate, so probably subjective comparison to other things you do (that are more reasonably estimatable) is the best plan . . . plus applied experience/results, if you keep doing it.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    I would log it as gymnastics.
  • yirara
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: Β»
    yirara wrote: Β»

Sounds crazy fun, but your guess sounds as reasonable as anything. It's the not the nature of activity where any kind of device is likely to give you an accurate estimate, so probably subjective comparison to other things you do (that are more reasonably estimatable) is the best plan . . . plus applied experience/results, if you keep doing it.

Aye. I doubt I'll get enough meaningful data for that as I can only afford it once per week at most while my interval estimates are based on many, many workouts per week over many years :blush: 100kcal off per week won't really show. But I'm a number freak! ugh! :D:s

Aaanyway... I currently have doms I never had before. How is it possible to get doms on your wrists??? (and anywhere else that involves swinging and dangling) :D
  • mamasara2
    Options
    I feel ya on wanting numbers. Mfp helps satiate some of my obsessive tendencies. It's frustrating not being able to be as accurate as possible sometimes.
  • yirara
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I feel ya on wanting numbers. Mfp helps satiate some of my obsessive tendencies. It's frustrating not being able to be as accurate as possible sometimes.

Absolutely! I'm a scientist. I hate pulling stuff out of thin air :D:*