Deciding on a "maintenance weight"

Options
How do you all decide on your maintenance weight?

I have a goal based on past experience. it's still on the heavy side for my height but not sure I can (or care to work hard enough) to get much lower than that. 135pds at 5'1 (female). I may see if I can do 130 but i may do that last five pounds more slowly.

Currently at about 151 so I have some time before I get there!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks

yes I am tracking food (measure/weight) and have lost about 15 lbs so far (since let's say April) and I am content with that rate. Sticking around 1300 calories with few "cheat meal" where I allow myself to go over. (few as in once every 2-3 weeks but I allow them as it gives me a breather and motivation to keep going). at 1300 cals it's hard to even enjoy a beer very often unless I really cut on the food (which is hard with exercising)

Joined a 10k training program (run) and looking to improve my running. Had some set-backs due to injuries this summer (it aint easy getting older!) but plan to introduce more resistance training as well (Just need to get my butt in gear again). I was doing HITT training before the injuries. Wary about going bcak to the same program (Orange Theory Fitness gyms) and ending up injured again :P

Just curious as I know the last time I hit 135 (or there abouts) i was happy and active (this was...3 years ago about). And while I know it's still not "healthy" as per my BMI it was a weight I think I could maintain.

But like you said I have a bit of an open mind. will head to 135 and assess once I am there.
  • GOT_Obsessed
    GOT_Obsessed Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am kind of like you. I have picked a goal weight (that I am 2-3 pounds away from) and it's still in the overweight range. The thought of maintaining that seems much more sustainable than a weight in my normal range. I don't want to set myself up to fail.

I saw my Dr. a couple weeks ago and we discussed what would be a good weight for me. He said one that makes you feel good both physically and mentally. I feel I am already there but still want to meet my goal. So what I am planning to do is get there (which seems like forever), then do some maintenance and see how it goes. If I still think I need to lose more then set a new goal. Perhaps my approach is something you want to look at.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Mine has changed, actually a couple of times, since I started. At first, I wanted to get to 150 (from a high of 183) because I had been that weight before and thought I looked pretty good. Got to 150 and took a critical look at myself and saw I still had a *lot* of room for improvement. My BMI was still in the overweight category and I looked it.

I’m 140 now (5’2.5) and while my “new goal” is 125, I will probably still be tweaking that as I lose. It’s “uncharted waters” now, as I’m 62 and haven’t been at this weight or lower since my late teens.

All this to say-I still don’t know......
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am male, 59, 5'8" on a good day (probably 5'7" after next physical) and fairly normal frame. I am a believer in BMI because it seems to be most accurate for men with a fairly normal frame to height ratio that aren't elite athletes or body builders and I am not a special snowflake. It isn't an arbitrary goal I can rationalize; I couldn't decide I was fit enough at a higher weight and stop short of getting really healthy. Also, it is an upper limit; if I want a bigger range I have to lose weight to increase the range instead of giving myself permission to gain weight. 164 is 24.9, so that's my scream weight. The range I am staying in right now is 155-160. I am planning to get down to 149 and make the range 149-154 since I probably really am 5'7" and change right now (159 is 24.9 for 5'7"). One caveat I have about my belief in BMI is that I think healthy shouldn't go below 20. There are a few exceptions - waif like super models and "bean poles" that have a narrow shoulder width for their height - but for most people I think normal/healthy should be 20-25.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I have an ability ultimate goal:
    In one hour: run 10k, do two 90° push-ups, do 20 pull-ups. When I can do that - that will be my maintenance, doesn't matter what the scale says.

I'm still a long way off, but getting a bit closer everyday.

Nice goal. When I ran hard as part of a "get fit" plan (before knee trouble, surgery and gaining it all back) I was 54. I ran a half marathon about 10 months after I started running, but I was a 10 minute miler whether I was running 1, 5 or 12. I did push myself to run 10k in just under an hour a few times and maybe I could have done the push ups; maybe. The pull ups would not happen, even if I tried to do them first. I have shoulder problems also and I do under table/desk pull ups but full body weight, hands over head is asking for trouble (one of my shoulders has also been scoped).

Anyway, I think that is a commendable goal; challenging but feasible for most people. Strong choice!
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    I have an ability ultimate goal:
    In one hour: run 10k, do two 90° push-ups, do 20 pull-ups. When I can do that - that will be my maintenance, doesn't matter what the scale says.

I'm still a long way off, but getting a bit closer everyday.

Nice goal. When I ran hard as part of a "get fit" plan (before knee trouble, surgery and gaining it all back) I was 54. I ran a half marathon about 10 months after I started running, but I was a 10 minute miler whether I was running 1, 5 or 12. I did push myself to run 10k in just under an hour a few times and maybe I could have done the push ups; maybe. The pull ups would not happen, even if I tried to do them first. I have shoulder problems also and I do under table/desk pull ups but full body weight, hands over head is asking for trouble (one of my shoulders has also been scoped).

Anyway, I think that is a commendable goal; challenging but feasible for most people. Strong choice!

Thank you,

I find working on part of each goal helps me stay focused. As of now, I am working on maintaining muscle mass and simply increasing endurance to actually run a 10k (not in any specific time, just to run it). When I get there, I'll hold that and work specifically on a second part, and so forth. I know I will drop body fat working towards these goals, and will be in amazing shape whenever I reach them. Yeah, I picked things that are definitely very challenging to do, but also achievable.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was aiming for 125 at 63 and 5’2”. I stopped at 129 for 8 months. Then I got to thinking that my maintenance calories would be the same, at 129 or 125, but I’d lose some unwanted belly fat at a lower weight. So, I’m back in weight loss mode to get the last 5# off (am currently 130#). If you can maintain at 135 you can maintain with the same calories, at 130. You just need to get there.
  • peppermintcaroline
    peppermintcaroline Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I aimed for 115 first, then decided to go for 110 after a winter between 115 and 120. I am 5' and 30, with an active job, so reasonable for me. I wish I could run 10k under an hour! Working on it... last 10k took me 1:23:06, so pace of 12 min/mile. Currently working on 10 min/mile pace. I'll see how the 5 mile goes in August.

Good luck!
  • Panini911
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess one step at a time and I may have more questions once I hit 135 ;)
    fiddletime wrote: »
    I was aiming for 125 at 63 and 5’2”. I stopped at 129 for 8 months. Then I got to thinking that my maintenance calories would be the same, at 129 or 125, but I’d lose some unwanted belly fat at a lower weight. So, I’m back in weight loss mode to get the last 5# off (am currently 130#). If you can maintain at 135 you can maintain with the same calories, at 130. You just need to get there.

interesting point about maintenance calories! Though i've always been terrible at maintenance so that will be a challenge in itself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I guess one step at a time and I may have more questions once I hit 135 ;)
    fiddletime wrote: »

interesting point about maintenance calories! Though i've always been terrible at maintenance so that will be a challenge in itself.

you should have a maintenance range not one single number, seeing as your weight will fluctuate.

130-135 may be a good range for you?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    When I was at a BF% I was good with and ok with what I saw in the mirror. 15% BF is my sweet spot for easy maintenance with my lifestyle choices. That turns out to be around 180 Lbs @ 5'10"
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I have a maintenance bf range between about 12-15% which puts me about 200lbs at 6'.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I chose a weight that was around the middle of an "optimal" BMI for my height. Once I started maintenance I gradually lost a few more pounds, but I've now stabilized slightly under my original goal weight. I am just under 5 feet tall, original goal was 115 lb., currently weigh 112-115 lb.
  • Panini911
    Options
    I guess I am way of having a goal lower than what my "lowest past weight" so that was my goal (espeically as I am not older than back then). I have spent most of my life quite overweight even as a child. Makes sense to revisit once I am there though. I am well aware that goal is a BMI of overweight and that it is by no means a "slender" body type (which I never see myself achieving)

I am curious what my maintenance calories will be. I assumed no more than 1500, I did do a few of the calculators though which showed higher (but I take that with a grain of salt)

A range also makes sense
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think 135 is a good first goal and then reassess when you get there. I'm 5'1" and started at 195. My first goal was 140, then my next goal became 130 and hitting a healthy BMI. I'm 131 now and planning to settle closer to 120. It's primarily because of aesthetics. I'm on track to maintain above 2000 calories when I get there based on my activity level. I'm in no hurry to get there, at our height it takes a while. I will also say that composition plays a big role in how things look at a higher weight. I lifted weights throughout my entire weight loss and even at the higher end of a healthy BMI, I'm moving into a size 4 with a 28 inch waist and 34 inch hips (I don't really have much of a waist to speak of, I think this is a short person thing). It's possible to maintain at a higher weight and have a more slender body type but it takes effort to change body composition.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5"1' and generally maintain at around 130. I started at 257 with a goal of 150 for no particular reason other than I couldn't imagine weighing that little.

I hit 150 and decided to keep going. Got down to 125 at one point but I really thought I didn't look good at that weight and went back up to 130 and stayed in that general area for a couple of years. I think I look my best at that weight and it's an usually an easy weight to maintain (except for the 20 pounds I put on last year dealing with medical issues and feeling sorry for myself!). I've lost all but about 5 pounds of that 20 and am slowly working on it.

Once you get to 135 assess how you feel about it and decide from there. Or maintain at that weight for a bit and then decide if you need to go lower. There's no big rush, you don't have to make decisions right this minute.