One Ingredient "Ice Cream"

Options
sra455
sra455 Posts: 57 Member
I stumbled on this recipe for banana ice cream. You simply slice up a banana into disks. Freeze it overnight. And the pulse in a food processor. You can add in bits of other things for different flavor (I did 1 tbs of peanut butter). Follow the instructions exactly.

I did this for the first time today and OMG IT WAS SO GOOD. I couldn't get over it. I want to make this my sweet snack every day. I'm gonna go buy bananas and prep little frozen bags for the week. Seriously, it was so creamy and sweet. If you like bananas, you have to try this!

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    If you can afford the calories, the addition of some commercial custard is nice. Adding some frozen berries improves the looks.

https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/sweets/ice-cream/quick-raspberry-and-banana-ice-cream
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    saragd012 wrote: »
    Maybe she has dairy sensitivities? I love banana ice cream, I usually make mine with a touch of coconut milk and protein powder. It tastes amazing, doesn't upset my sleep the way real ice-cream can, and helps me reach my protein goals. All wins.

Serious question...how does ice cream upset sleep? Something having to do with dairy?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    If you can afford the calories, the addition of some commercial custard is nice. Adding some frozen berries improves the looks.

https://www.donnahay.com.au/recipes/sweets/ice-cream/quick-raspberry-and-banana-ice-cream

Wouldn't adding commercial custard just make it normal ice cream....?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I picked up a yonanas and throw frozen berries in there for a lower calorie/fat "ice cream" (they recommend a banana for texture but I dislike the taste it adds). If i have the extra cals i'll throw in a teaspoon of mini choco chips. that's it.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    vvake wrote: »
    I love making this ice cream, I throw in a few strawberries too to give it a little color. I also like adding a couple tablespoons of almond milk to add creaminess. It's best eaten fresh and made in small batches since if you freeze it it can become rock hard. But I've found that if you freeze it in single serving containers and then microwave for 15-30 seconds you can get that cream consistency again! If I've got some extra calories I can eat I'll throw in two chopped up peanut butter cups (Justin's dark chocolate pb cups).

You can also get a creamy texture from frozen mango chunks. I pair that with a lot of pineapple usually, also very good.

Sometimes I don't want to wait for my fruit to freeze or process anything so I will go for the dairy-free Halo tops.

True that it doesn't save a lot of calories (it can depending on the regular ice cream you buy, some are loaded down with extra calories from chocolate shavings, caramel, peanut butter etc.) but the fiber of the fruit prevents your blood sugar from spiking if you're watching that. And eating fruit doesn't count toward daily added sugar unlike regular ice cream :smile:

Actually bananas make my bg spike and ice cream doesn't, due to the fats and protein in ice cream. Most fruits are okay for me but modern cultivated bananas are basically sugar in a skin. Other diabetics have different experiences, since carb tolerance for different foods is very personal, but it's mistaken to assume that bananas = good and ice cream = bad.
  • iowalinda
    iowalinda Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    sra455 wrote: »
    I stumbled on this recipe for banana ice cream. You simply slice up a banana into disks. Freeze it overnight. And the pulse in a food processor. You can add in bits of other things for different flavor (I did 1 tbs of peanut butter). Follow the instructions exactly.

I did this for the first time today and OMG IT WAS SO GOOD. I couldn't get over it. I want to make this my sweet snack every day. I'm gonna go buy bananas and prep little frozen bags for the week. Seriously, it was so creamy and sweet. If you like bananas, you have to try this!

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414

Thank you for sharing. I always appreciate it when people share their tips, recipes, etc. whether or not it's something I personally will use :)
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I bet if you added chocolate chips in that would be the bomb !
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,650 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    I bet if you added chocolate chips in that would be the bomb !

I've seen a lot of "recipes" where people stir in some cacao powder into pureed frozen banana.