I just ate 16 fried dumplings

Options
There should be a forum for confessions.

Im doing low carb and cooked dinner for the family. Frozen pork and cabbage dumplings, scallion pancakes, and taro buns. A little bit of freezer clean out and a fun Chinese style dinner.

As I sat down and saw all the carbs, I thought, "I should go make something for myself." But I didn't want to 'diet' in front of the kids. Instead, I ate just the middle out of three dumplings, leaving the skins on my plate. I served everyone else their food, cutting up pancakes and passing out buns. The skins on my plate looked so wasteful. So I ate them. It was like I broke the seal. I then ate 13 more dumplings. Each one was meant to be the last.

So that was about 900 calories in one sitting. So I logged them. But felt compelled to confess or post ... Or something. Not sure waht I'm looking for. I've only been on the wagon for about 10 days. I have a long way to go mentally and emotionally. Food fills a hole.

Tell me yours.

Replies

• Doradarling
    Doradarling Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    if you’ve kept your diary, you haven’t quit. The process is more important than the numbers.

LOVE this. Thank you!

• Doradarling
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    You've logged it, that's not bad. Plus you can learn from it. Why did you choose low carb? Sounds like you enjoy your carbs. It's really not necessary to deprive yourself of them to lose weight. That's something you need to think about.

I used to cut out all the "bad" things. Then when I could only hold it together for a week or two before giving in and eating all the things. Then I would feel guilty, shameful, and give up. The most success I've had is by learning to moderate things. I save a few calories for the end of the day, and then use those for a treat. It made it easier to still to my plan throughout the day, and it didn't leave me craving anything.

Keep track of these things and you will figure things out over time. Keep logging them, and you will see that one off day does not mean guaranteed disaster. You need to allow yourself patience, grace, and forgiveness.

I do love my carbs! Thank you for the advice. I will need to think about this, and like you say figure it out over time. For me, moderation is hard - but maybe a cheat day would help me stave off an unplanned eat-fest. Hm. Thanks for the perspective!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I found certain things hard to moderate as well. It's taken a long time to teach myself. But I knew I didn't want to give up those items forever, so I toughed it out.

One of my weaknesses was ice cream. At first, I stopped bringing it in the house, but would pick up one single serving a week (or would go get a single serving when it fit my day and I wanted it). That way I wasn't depriving myself. Every once in a while I would bring home a small multi-serving container. If I over ate it, I knew I wasn't ready. It took a long time, but I can now have ice cream in the house and have a single serving without worrying that I'll finish the pint in a single sitting.

It takes time to break habits and form new ones. You can do it, but you have to decide if it's worth it for yourself. Others have had less success and simply don't bring those items in the house at all.

Read the forums, there's lots of great advice and differing perspectives.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Think about the long term. Can you follow low carb forever?
  • NikaIris
    NikaIris Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I once ate 6 Magnums in one go. 2 classic, 2 white, 2 almond.
    I don't even know how many calories that was. But I guess probably about 2500? Maybe 3000?
    Here's the fun part though - I still ended up losing weight that week because my overall calorie intake was fine. Even with the Magnums.
    So don't worry about binge eating once.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No confessions here! When I overeat I own it like a champ. I never regret something I enjoy that can't be fixed next day. Even better if it doesn't need fixing, like if it ends up within my calories.
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    It happens. Don't beat yourself up too much. I've been low carb now for quite a while and I didn't feel like picking through my vegan breakfast burrito this weekend because I was hangry so I just ate it and logged it. Then went to my normal way of eating after that. You are human, its not so much about what you would consider a bad meal once in a while it is what occurs after that meal, do you spiral into a mindless eating frenzy for weeks or accept what happened and move on? I think back to when I was a kid where sweets, sodas, and junk food were occasional treats and most meals were a protein, vegetable, some fruit, and a starch. Somewhere along the line the food companies normalized the "occasional treat" and processed food by screwing with the food recipes to hit that human "bliss" point, it made their products somewhat addictive in nature and it made them mountains of cash in the process. I say all of that because knowing what has been done has allowed me to make a conscious decision to eat like I did when I was younger (minus the starch) and not beat myself up if I have a burrito or some popcorn at the theater, just so long as the that is the exception and not the rule.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    From my experiences and reading, is being hyper restrictive can and will lead to a binge.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Logging is half the mental struggle the second part is being able to move on, stay motivated and figure out your triggers.

Maybe once a week should be dumpling night for you, where you save up calories so you can eat a satisfying amount but not go overboard. Or perhaps it's due to restricting too much fatty foods , Carby foods etc.

For me it's peanut butter that is a slippery slope for binge eating, so I eat a small amount every day except for the weekend where i just eat it for breakfast then some radishes later on, but since I started doing that I haven't had an emotional eating spoonfuls and feeling guilty episode.
  • Doradarling
    Options
    Thank you so much for all these responses! They are really helpful and inspiring. I love hearing how other people handle their trouble spots. I do need to make a plan for future setbacks and logging is very helpful.

Anyone have suggestions for handling vacation eating? Later this month, we are spending a week at the beach and between amusement parks and not having a kitchen handy, I know I need to plan ahead. What are things that have worked for you?

My weakness is fried seafood and french fries. Vacation is a tough spot - I want to indulge and there are so many temptations. Especially with the kids. I've started packing them some special vacation foods like chips and Milano cookies. It is be very hard to pass those around during hour 5 in the car and not eat that myself! Oooo.... Anyone with tips?
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all these responses! They are really helpful and inspiring. I love hearing how other people handle their trouble spots. I do need to make a plan for future setbacks and logging is very helpful.

Anyone have suggestions for handling vacation eating? Later this month, we are spending a week at the beach and between amusement parks and not having a kitchen handy, I know I need to plan ahead. What are things that have worked for you?

My weakness is fried seafood and french fries. Vacation is a tough spot - I want to indulge and there are so many temptations. Especially with the kids. I've started packing them some special vacation foods like chips and Milano cookies. It is be very hard to pass those around during hour 5 in the car and not eat that myself! Oooo.... Anyone with tips?

For car trips, I pack celery and cantalope, strawberries too. Basically low calorie density food that I can snack on.
    Also chewing gum keeps me from cravingsall the chips and what not.

However I realized I'd rather just snack on cheese and nuts in the car then have normal meals. I pull over to read or take breaks but I stopped eating during those breaks. Obviously this works alot better when you are the only one in the car because you don't have to sit through other people eating meals, but that's my plan going forward since I'm a snacker.
  • Doradarling
    Options
    For car trips, I pack celery and cantalope, strawberries too. Basically low calorie density food that I can snack on.
    Also chewing gum keeps me from cravingsall the chips and what not.

Awesome. Of course. Pack alternate snacks! I will definitely make a separate safer stash for me! Thanks!

I can predict that "just one taste" will result in many cookies. Better to have a separate snack planned out for me.