Show or set off your own (fireworks that is)

Options
Keto_N_Iron
Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
In the spirit of the upcoming US holiday. do you prefer to go to a big fireworks show or setting off your own?

cost aside I prefer to set off my own but i'm a bit of a pyro :#

Replies

• optionsguy88
    optionsguy88 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Setting off my own means I dont have to drive thru traffic, find a place to park and find a good seat at whatever venue may have a show
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I generally avoid them. Never got into setting off my own, nor do I get a lot of enjoyment from going to them due to crowds.

Couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to work behind the scenes which I liked:

2iqd6p1.jpg
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    We go to my parents lake house and ride out on the boat to watch fireworks from the water. Its fun and you get to avoid traffic and masses of people. Lots of people with crazy amounts of money set off pretty decent shows from their little mansion's dock. We usually get two nights of entertainment out of it since the Joneses cant do their shows on the same night. Don't want their smoke ruining my show or something like that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can't shoot off anything good in New Mexico legally...all of the good stuff is illegal due to fire danger so doing your own is pretty lame unless you want to take your chances with the illegal stuff. You can get it on the reservations, but if you get caught shooting them it's at least a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

ABQ sets there's off at Balloon Fiesta park...we have an elevated direct line of site from our back patio so we just watch from there.
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My area of New Mexico is in a Stage 2 drought...so not really a good idea to set off your own right now. I usually enjoy doing both actually. Our big show is on July 3rd, and then we would set ours off on the 4th. Not this year though.
  • epr3996
    epr3996 Posts: 2,719 Member
    Options
    I prefer driving to Seaworld in Orlando and enjoy their show it's just amazing! There is also on in St Augustine FL that is considered one of the best in the country!
  • hud54014
    hud54014 Posts: 3,777 Member
    Options
    Setting off your own is fun until you hit your tightly wound neighbors property with a spent tube from an Airborne Troopers firework. Oops
  • Sami488
    Sami488 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    This has really nothing to do with the question but it is about fireworks.

So a couple years ago on the 4th I found myself at home alone (never happens) with my then 3 year old son. As I went to lay him down I heard what I thought was someone knocking on the windows in my house. It freaked me out because no car was outside and I just knew someone had been stalking me and knew I was finally home alone.
    Ya'll, I called the cops out and they searched the area and of course found no one. Why? Because it was fireworks!!

• Keto_N_Iron
    Options
    Setting off my own means I dont have to drive thru traffic, find a place to park and find a good seat at whatever venue may have a show

ha! Truth!! and if it's to muggy or hot you can always take a break and go inside for a bit! plus COLD drinks!!
    I generally avoid them. Never got into setting off my own, nor do I get a lot of enjoyment from going to them due to crowds.

Couple of years ago, I had an opportunity to work behind the scenes which I liked:

2iqd6p1.jpg

very cool!! I would love to be able to do something like that!!

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Confession:

I am absurdly terrified of fireworks
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options
    We go to my parents lake house and ride out on the boat to watch fireworks from the water. Its fun and you get to avoid traffic and masses of people. Lots of people with crazy amounts of money set off pretty decent shows from their little mansion's dock. We usually get two nights of entertainment out of it since the Joneses cant do their shows on the same night. Don't want their smoke ruining my show or something like that.

that sounds like a great situation!! only time I got to see fireworks on the water was when I was in Hawaii. Waikiki put on a pretty decent show.
    My area of New Mexico is in a Stage 2 drought...so not really a good idea to set off your own right now. I usually enjoy doing both actually. Our big show is on July 3rd, and then we would set ours off on the 4th. Not this year though.

what a bummer :/ but i can completely understand!! I think I'd set up a massive water balloon fight instead!
    epr3996 wrote: »
    I prefer driving to Seaworld in Orlando and enjoy their show it's just amazing! There is also on in St Augustine FL that is considered one of the best in the country!

well yeah!
    hud54014 wrote: »
    Setting off your own is fun until you hit your tightly wound neighbors property with a spent tube from an Airborne Troopers firework. Oops

:D:D:D:D yea... well those are the risks!!

• Keto_N_Iron
    Options
    It is illegal in my city, so being naturally rebellious I set them off loud and proud!!!!

hahah we've done that before!
    Sami488 wrote: »
    This has really nothing to do with the question but it is about fireworks.

So a couple years ago on the 4th I found myself at home alone (never happens) with my then 3 year old son. As I went to lay him down I heard what I thought was someone knocking on the windows in my house. It freaked me out because no car was outside and I just knew someone had been stalking me and knew I was finally home alone.
    Ya'll, I called the cops out and they searched the area and of course found no one. Why? Because it was fireworks!!

lol whoops! i'm sure the cops were thrilled :#:D
  • skctilidie
    skctilidie Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I always feel like the minority in this, but I don’t care about setting them off (illegal here anyway) or going to see them. I’m a mosquito magnet - outside at dusk is not a place I want to be.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Options
    skctilidie wrote: »
    I always feel like the minority in this, but I don’t care about setting them off (illegal here anyway) or going to see them. I’m a mosquito magnet - outside at dusk is not a place I want to be.

I understand that. no matter what we do I have to douse myself in bug juice to survive and everyone else is fine... :s:(
  • xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options

2iqd6p1.jpg

very cool!! I would love to be able to do something like that!!

It was a lot of fun. I think I took well over 100 different photos that night, different angles, lighting, etc. trying to get some good shots. I think I came away with three that I liked. One of which I want to frame and put on my wall.