Replies

• LeeshaSeal
    LeeshaSeal Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    divcara wrote: »
    Lifting weights will help you increase your muscle mass. Muscle does burn more calories at rest than fat. Take those measurements and track to see if you are losing inches. Are your clothes fitting better?

You are also doing a lot of cardio, so you may actually want to look at your carbs and that you have enough. Protein helps with muscle repair and growth. Carbs (the good kind!) will help fuel your workouts/performance.

Lifting will help you increase your muscle mass in a calorie surplus. You can't really gain muscle in a deficit. Also the difference in how much muscle burns vs how much fat burns is minimal.

Where are you getting that information? Being in a fasted state is being at a calorie deficit and building muscle is quite possible.

From Dr. Brad Schoenfeld: https://www.dymatize-athletic-nutrition.com/en_GB/why-dymatize/blog/intermittent-fasting-fat-loss-and-better-health

Excerpt:
    Is intermittent fasting a suitable method for weight loss in Fitness enthusiasts and Bodybuilders?

Dr. Schoenfeld: “The weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting appear to be solely a function of restricting caloric consumption. By limiting the window in which food is eaten, intermittent fasting helps to control caloric consumption and thus facilitate fat loss. It should be noted that the same results can be achieved simply by controlling calories via portion control in a standard dietary approach. Therefore, the best practice dietary approach for weight loss depends on the individual.”

Through intermittent fasting body fat level can be reduced via energy deficit. But how about the maintenance of valuable muscle mass in athletes?

Dr. Schoenfeld: “Food, dietary protein in particular, is anabolic. Intermittent fasting will put an individual in a state of catabolism for a majority of the fasting day – not an ideal muscle-building environment. Based on applied logic it would be prudent to consume protein more frequently throughout the day to maximize the training-induced hypertrophic response and to support muscle maintenance/growth.”

Starving the body during fasting kick-starts positive health benefits for the immune system - True or false?

Dr. Schoenfeld: “I have seen no compelling evidence to support that hypothesis.”

So I read this article and it says something slightly different than what we're talking about. It says that fasting is not an ideal condition for a body builder or athlete to maintain muscle mass. I also went further to read the study that was cited for reference and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26384657 (related to fat loss not muscle building). I do love gathering information so thanks for sharing!
  • vvake
    vvake Posts: 11 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I know that when I start a new workout program I retain water like crazy because my muscles are recovering! If you're counting your calories accurately (I use a food scale to measure in grams) then you are losing weight but you might have to wait a while for the scale to show it. Recently I started a new program and my time of the month at the same time and I gained 12 pounds in two days! It took over a week for it to come off. I could see it in the tape measure too, my waist went down 1.5 inches after I dropped the water.
    You should not be gaining muscle either since you are in a deficit plus female. (It is very hard and very slow for us to gain muscle even in a calorie surplus.)

Small sedentary people like us have little wiggle room when it comes to calories so you have to be very careful. I would make sure you are counting calories correctly and just give it more time.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    divcara wrote: »
    Lifting weights will help you increase your muscle mass. Muscle does burn more calories at rest than fat. Take those measurements and track to see if you are losing inches. Are your clothes fitting better?

You are also doing a lot of cardio, so you may actually want to look at your carbs and that you have enough. Protein helps with muscle repair and growth. Carbs (the good kind!) will help fuel your workouts/performance.

Lifting will help you increase your muscle mass in a calorie surplus. You can't really gain muscle in a deficit. Also the difference in how much muscle burns vs how much fat burns is minimal.

Where are you getting that information? Being in a fasted state is being at a calorie deficit and building muscle is quite possible.

From Dr. Brad Schoenfeld: https://www.dymatize-athletic-nutrition.com/en_GB/why-dymatize/blog/intermittent-fasting-fat-loss-and-better-health

Excerpt:
    Is intermittent fasting a suitable method for weight loss in Fitness enthusiasts and Bodybuilders?

Dr. Schoenfeld: “The weight loss benefits of intermittent fasting appear to be solely a function of restricting caloric consumption. By limiting the window in which food is eaten, intermittent fasting helps to control caloric consumption and thus facilitate fat loss. It should be noted that the same results can be achieved simply by controlling calories via portion control in a standard dietary approach. Therefore, the best practice dietary approach for weight loss depends on the individual.”

Through intermittent fasting body fat level can be reduced via energy deficit. But how about the maintenance of valuable muscle mass in athletes?

Dr. Schoenfeld: “Food, dietary protein in particular, is anabolic. Intermittent fasting will put an individual in a state of catabolism for a majority of the fasting day – not an ideal muscle-building environment. Based on applied logic it would be prudent to consume protein more frequently throughout the day to maximize the training-induced hypertrophic response and to support muscle maintenance/growth.”

Starving the body during fasting kick-starts positive health benefits for the immune system - True or false?

Dr. Schoenfeld: “I have seen no compelling evidence to support that hypothesis.”

So I read this article and it says something slightly different than what we're talking about. It says that fasting is not an ideal condition for a body builder or athlete to maintain muscle mass. I also went further to read the study that was cited for reference and found this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26384657 (related to fat loss not muscle building). I do love gathering information so thanks for sharing!

Retaining muscle mass and building muscle mass involve the same physiological processes. Just to a different degree.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I was going to say, like the chart above mentions, you may need to see a doctor to rule out thyroid issues that will make weight loss difficult. Also be sure to really look at your macros and sugar throughout the day. Sugar is awful, and I am the worst sugar addict ever, so I know for sure that it packs the pounds on and eats away at your health.

Being overweight eats at your health no matter what you ate to get there.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Good point @nutmegoreo