if i have to strength train on an empty stomach, is it ok?

Options
For the next few days, I will have to strength train on an empty stomach due to my schedule. Is this ok as long as I eat afterwards?

Replies

• steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with that at all.

For most people, meal timing isn't nearly as important as some what lead one to belief and almost entirely boils down to personal preference. Some might say they won't have energy to get through a full workout without eating beforehand, others (myself included) just feel full and sluggish if they eat much of anything before training. I either train first thing in the morning before work or immediately after work so almost always on an empty stomach.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've done it, some days I find that I get pretty shaky part way through other days are fine. Hungry afterward either way. Give it a go and see how you feel.
  • peachvine29
    peachvine29 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I always do this. I skip breakfast and train on my lunch break at work, and eat lunch after. I've gotten used to it and usually feel great! I agree with steveko89, I really don't think meal time is all that important and is just a matter of preference and what works for you.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's not going to ruin you, if that's your concern. Some people find it more doable than others but that is something you have to experiment with and figure out yourself. You might be perfectly fine and you might feel like death warmed over. In general, you'll figure it out very quickly (i.e., not long into the workout) if it is going to be a problem.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try a protein bar, apple, banana, hard boiled egg etc. Easy to take in your gym bag an eat way on the way.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    For cardio: and apple or banana before seems to make things go fine. I would think weights are similar, but haven't tried it as much.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,149 Member
    Options
    It's what works best for you. I see my trainer at 6AM so it's just coffee and water. I did have some extra time once, and ate before my appt. Went to pick up the bar for a deadlift and thought I was going to puke. :neutral:
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I think it’s a personal preference. I like to strength train on an empty stomach and eat a protein filled snack right after, but if you feel your workout suffers on empty try an energy bar or supplement (if I’m doing a long run, I have a gu beforehand because I KNOW I’ll feel depleted if I don’t).
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    As long as you feel fine, it's okay. It's a personal preference, some people prefer workouts on an empty stomach, some with a light snack/meal before.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    I could not as my blood pressure and energy levels only get into levels that really allow me to work out after dinner time. I'm a night person anyway. But if it works for you then why not?
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.
    I prefer working out (running or strength training) on an empty stomach, or at least a couple of hours after eating a meal(small snacks are usually OK) - I feel over full and like my stomach is sloshing around otherwise.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't opt to not train because of it.

Optimally one wouldn't strength train on a empty or full stomach but rather something light and easily digestible such as a banana or steel oats soaking in a protien shake.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I do all my workouts fasted - from 20 min jogs to an hour of strength training to half or full marathon swims. Eating even a few hours beforehand makes me queasy.