Emotional Eating

Options
To those who have struggled with emotional eating, how did/do you avoid it? This is a relatively new problem for me as I had the opposite problem when I was younger. Did you ever get to the root of the emotions or did you just replace comfort foods with healthier snacks and activities?

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Use the Search button to find many discussions about "emotional eating". It's a widely discussed problem. You may find something useful.
  • mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, identifying the triggers helps me most. Hen I know what sets me off I can avoid it. Just knowing what is going on helps.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I see the exercise to replace rather than avoid emotional eating. Deal with root cause. Find new ways to deal.

Today I spent two hours in telephone hell with call centre personnel working for two separate bureaucracies to sort out some paperwork. To add insult to injury I was put on hold four more times not including the initial queue time. I would have much preferred to send a letter.

I could have ground my teeth but I can’t afford the dentist bill. I could have snarled at the call center folks but they were just as motivated as me to complete the call. Why ruin their day too? I could have yelled at long suffering hubby but what did he do wrong? I could have eaten a full tin of Pringles but then I’d be fatter and still mad.

Instead I used a mindful technique to let the emotions slide by without judgement. I got back to a peaceful place a lot sooner than I had any right to be. I also saved a third of a tin of Pringles for another day.
  • Missyify
    Missyify Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    mamasara2 wrote: »
    For me, identifying the triggers helps me most. Hen I know what sets me off I can avoid it. Just knowing what is going on helps.

Unfortunately, several of my triggers are everyday, required occurrences :( Like getting dressed and driving. There are possibly a few I can avoid, I probably have to dig deeper. Thanks!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Missyify wrote: »

Unfortunately, several of my triggers are everyday, required occurrences :( Like getting dressed and driving. There are possibly a few I can avoid, I probably have to dig deeper. Thanks!

are you seeing a therapist?
  • Missyify
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I see the exercise to replace rather than avoid emotional eating. Deal with root cause. Find new ways to deal.

Today I spent two hours in telephone hell with call centre personnel working for two separate bureaucracies to sort out some paperwork. To add insult to injury I was put on hold four more times not including the initial queue time. I would have much preferred to send a letter.

I could have ground my teeth but I can’t afford the dentist bill. I could have snarled at the call center folks but they were just as motivated as me to complete the call. Why ruin their day too? I could have yelled at long suffering hubby but what did he do wrong? I could have eaten a full tin of Pringles but then I’d be fatter and still mad.

Instead I used a mindful technique to let the emotions slide by without judgement. I got back to a peaceful place a lot sooner than I had any right to be. I also saved a third of a tin of Pringles for another day.

Thanks, that just led to an epiphany.
  • Missyify
    Options

Not any longer. I have seen a therapist from ages 13-24. I live about an hour from anything, now, and none of my emotional issues are really new. Only the coping mechanisms have changed.
  • Missyify
    Options

Not any longer. I have seen a therapist from ages 13-24. I live about an hour from anything, now, and none of my emotional issues are really new. Only the coping mechanisms have changed.

Sorry, that made it sound like things haven’t gotten any better. They have. I didn’t drive for three and a half years, but I can drive now. I just tell myself I’ll get Starbucks as motivation to keep going.