Runner's ideas wanted

Options
I started C25K in February after walking for exercise for 4 months. I was basically doing week 1 on repeat because every time I tried week 2-day 1, I had serious hip flexor issues sending me back. So I've been doing my own interval timing between walking and jogging/running, increasing my time by 20 seconds or so when my runs start getting comfortable. It's not much, but I'm up to 80 second intervals about to move forward to 100 (I've lost lots of momentum listening to my body as I'm incredibly overweight, but steadily decreasing).

My question is: rather than focusing on increasing interval times to become a stronger runner, should I be focusing instead on distance, i.e. jog for 1/10th of a mile rather than for 100 seconds? My ultimate goal is to eventually be able to run full miles with little to no walking intervals, even if I work up to it at this glacial pace I'm moving 😁

Do any of you have experience trying either of these approaches? Did you become a runner by slowly building endurance or did you just go for it and improve as you went? Any input would be appreciated!

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I would stick with the time intervals for running and on your off days gradually increase walking distance.

Since you are increasing in small increments I think it will be easier to manage in time rather than distance.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I had something similar, I had to make my own adaptions at the very beginning of C25k. Like I tried Day one and couldn't walk the next day, even though I could by then walk for over 30 minutes easily. What I did was drastically shorten the jogging intervals and increase the walks in between. Think I started by walking for 15 seconds every five minutes or something. I literally increased those runs by 5 seconds each week, slowly also shortening walks until I reached the initial C25k intervals. Then I did the programme itself, but I repeated a couple of the weeks that I had trouble with. It took me forever but I did eventually complete the programme (on a treadmill) and even went on to do the 10k version.
    Moving on, a couple of weeks away from running over Xmas followed by flu put me right back, I couldn't run for more than 10 minutes without stopping, so I started C25k all over again, this time forcing myself to do at least one of the runs outdoors each week.
    Now I'm running for 30 minutes or more without too much difficulty 3 or 4 times per week, all outdoors, and I'm totally hooked.
    In a nutshell, slow and steady really does win the race. Rather than pushing too hard build up very gradually, your body will thank you for it. Be careful, however, not to let your brain hold you back. I have found over and over again that my brain has been screaming at me "you can't do that!" and my body has thrown it the finger and proved it wrong :-D
    Finally (then I'll shut up, promise), remember every single day you're moving, even if it's slowly or not very far, you're still doing a heck of a lot more for yourself than everyone sitting on the couch watching TV and for that you should ALWAYS be proud of yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you stretching your legs & hip flexors thoroughly after you run?
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    First, you need to warm up BEFORE you walk/run. There are a lot of great videos for stretching and warmups before a run. Also, you may just have to slow down your run, running is about gait not speed. My running speed has only recently surpassed my walking speed.
  • NikNicole7
    NikNicole7 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    First, you need to warm up BEFORE you walk/run. There are a lot of great videos for stretching and warmups before a run. Also, you may just have to slow down your run, running is about gait not speed. My running speed has only recently surpassed my walking speed.

Oooh yeah, my speed is like trudging through peanut butter lol. Although I would love to run a 7 minute mile someday, my goal for now is just moving and the more time I spend running, the better my body feels and the prouder I am of myself. I usually stretch a bit before heading out and walk at least 5-7 mins to warm up.
  • NikNicole7
    Options

I was doing leg stretches and then a good 10 minutes of walking before I hit the start button on C25K (which starts with a 5 min walk as well). Since I've adopted my own program so to speak, I've had no trouble with my hip flexors, thank goodness - that was really setting me back!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    static stretching before any activity is not a good idea, although active movement/warm up is.

I do a variety of things, never enough - walking, skipping, arm swinging, lunges, all of these are good.
  • NikNicole7
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had something similar, I had to make my own adaptions at the very beginning of C25k. Like I tried Day one and couldn't walk the next day, even though I could by then walk for over 30 minutes easily. What I did was drastically shorten the jogging intervals and increase the walks in between.

- I just about DIED the first time I did C25K, it was my husband's idea and I was begging for him to just leave me and get the car lol. Week 1 was good for me on repeat and I ended up mastering it, but every time I tried to move forward it would kill my right hip.. I had a stress fracture in my right foot back in December, so it makes me wonder if that had anything to do with it. But neither bother me now!

Think I started by walking for 15 seconds every five minutes or something. I literally increased those runs by 5 seconds each week, slowly also shortening walks until I reached the initial C25k intervals. Then I did the programme itself, but I repeated a couple of the weeks that I had trouble with. It took me forever but I did eventually complete the programme (on a treadmill) and even went on to do the 10k version.

-That's amazing, great job!!! I've considered doing C25K as I work up thru my intervals. Week 2 has 1min,30sec jogs so maybe I'll open the app back up even though it's been months since I've done it. But to finish it.. that is inspiring!!!

Moving on, a couple of weeks away from running over Xmas followed by flu put me right back, I couldn't run for more than 10 minutes without stopping, so I started C25k all over again, this time forcing myself to do at least one of the runs outdoors each week.
    Now I'm running for 30 minutes or more without too much difficulty 3 or 4 times per week, all outdoors, and I'm totally hooked.

-Hooked is exactly how I feel.. here in the humid South, it's awful to be outside sometimes, but the running feeling is just too amazing to stop!

In a nutshell, slow and steady really does win the race. Rather than pushing too hard build up very gradually, your body will thank you for it. Be careful, however, not to let your brain hold you back. I have found over and over again that my brain has been screaming at me "you can't do that!" and my body has thrown it the finger and proved it wrong :-D

-Thank you for your input! Every body is different, so I take care not to compare my times with anyone else's since this is not a race (yet!). About once a week, I set my stopwatch instead of my timer to just see how long I can run comfortably.. for example, last week I made it one time over 3 min before I started having trouble breathing, so I knew it was time to increase!

Finally (then I'll shut up, promise), remember every single day you're moving, even if it's slowly or not very far, you're still doing a heck of a lot more for yourself than everyone sitting on the couch watching TV and for that you should ALWAYS be proud of yourself.

-Absolutely! Thank you so much!!!

• NikNicole7
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I would stick with the time intervals for running and on your off days gradually increase walking distance.

Since you are increasing in small increments I think it will be easier to manage in time rather than distance.

Thank you.. it's definitely working for now, sometimes I just wonder if I'm doing it the right way or if I'm stunting my growth potential as a hopeful-runner. But I feel confident in knowing to push myself further when I get comfortable and when I need to back off so I don't injure myself, so this is probably the best way.
  • JustAnotherOneOfThoseGirls
    Options
    just throwing in my 2 cents, when I began running I played with speed a lot more than time or distance (although time did still play a part in it), for example I would walk (30s), slow jog (60s), walk (30s), fast run (60s), and so on. You could do something like this, mix in some fast/power walking and light jogging and slowly build up to running. It's just finding what works for you, as long as you don't push too hard too fast. And adequately warm up and stretch (dynamic stretching is better pre-workout)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    missnik217 wrote: »

I was doing leg stretches and then a good 10 minutes of walking before I hit the start button on C25K (which starts with a 5 min walk as well). Since I've adopted my own program so to speak, I've had no trouble with my hip flexors, thank goodness - that was really setting me back!

i wouldn't stretch prior to running, just stretch thoroughly afterwards
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    After finishing C25K the first time I went after speed and distance - I thought I wanted to run sub 10 minute miles. Ended with a damaged hip flexor that but me in PT for 3 months and sidelined running for 6. Hence C25K again. Now I run 3 - 5 (slow) miles regularly, am injury free and enjoy this immensely. My warm up is a 1/8 mile walk followed by a really slow first mile. Keep moving incrementally they way you are and you will be at your first mile way sooner than you think. Stretch after. Speed will come as you increase the total miles under your feet. Enjoy and congratulations on joining the running community!!!
  • VUA21
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Thank you.. it's definitely working for now, sometimes I just wonder if I'm doing it the right way or if I'm stunting my growth potential as a hopeful-runner. But I feel confident in knowing to push myself further when I get comfortable and when I need to back off so I don't injure myself, so this is probably the best way.

I just finished the C25K program, when I first started I felt as if I were going to die after about a minute of running. Then I learned something that changed everything: running is gait, not speed - SLOW DOWN! So I decided to try that, and I finally finished week two without too much trouble. My running speed for week two: a whooping 3.2mph (I can walk a lot faster). But, it works!!! I don't know the reason or science for it, but to run faster and further, slow down. My running speed has gradually and without me making any conscious effort, increased over time. Now I cruise 3 miles at right over 5mph.
  • NikNicole7
    Options
    I just finished the C25K program, when I first started I felt as if I were going to die after about a minute of running. Then I learned something that changed everything: running is gait, not speed - SLOW DOWN! So I decided to try that, and I finally finished week two without too much trouble. My running speed for week two: a whooping 3.2mph (I can walk a lot faster). But, it works!!! I don't know the reason or science for it, but to run faster and further, slow down. My running speed has gradually and without me making any conscious effort, increased over time. Now I cruise 3 miles at right over 5mph.

CONGRATS!!! And you are exactly right about slowing down! Once I realized how much more stamina I kept at a jogging pace rather than a full-out run, I've been able to do so much more without being exhausted or sore at the middle or end. I love your avitar, it's great to remember that we may not be fast yet, but we're moving and on the rise injury free. I'd also like to think I'm building more sustainable endurance for myself this way too.
  • NikNicole7
    Options
    dougii wrote: »
    After finishing C25K the first time I went after speed and distance - I thought I wanted to run sub 10 minute miles. Ended with a damaged hip flexor that but me in PT for 3 months and sidelined running for 6. Hence C25K again. Now I run 3 - 5 (slow) miles regularly, am injury free and enjoy this immensely. My warm up is a 1/8 mile walk followed by a really slow first mile. Keep moving incrementally they way you are and you will be at your first mile way sooner than you think. Stretch after. Speed will come as you increase the total miles under your feet. Enjoy and congratulations on joining the running community!!!

Oh no, that's terrible that you were sidelined like that!!! But you are incredible for going right back to it once you were able and look at your progress, what a total inspiration! Thank you!
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Either time or distance works fine, just add only 10% per week at most. Slowing down so you can keep going is the key, and never try to build speed and distance at the same time. I am a life long jogger and have had trouble off and on with my Achilles for a few years; nothing too serious but I would stop running for several weeks and then restart too aggressively for my now older and obese body, so I’d get flare ups again. So this year I’ve decided to go back to basics with the 10% rule. I started by counting paces (left foot only) walking 100, jogging 100. I just switched to timed intervals bc it is easier as the jogging distance increases, and I’m doing about 3 min jogging to 1.5 min walking, for a total of 3.5-4 miles. I won’t get to a steady 3 mile jog until March of next year, but I enjoy my workout and the Achilles is doing great at about 9 weeks in. Slowly is the way to go, and never stretch a cold muscle! I only do stretching after my workout, or after the first mile, if something is tight. Good luck and have fun.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started C25K in February after walking for exercise for 4 months. I was basically doing week 1 on repeat because every time I tried week 2-day 1, I had serious hip flexor issues sending me back. So I've been doing my own interval timing between walking and jogging/running, increasing my time by 20 seconds or so when my runs start getting comfortable. It's not much, but I'm up to 80 second intervals about to move forward to 100 (I've lost lots of momentum listening to my body as I'm incredibly overweight, but steadily decreasing).

My question is: rather than focusing on increasing interval times to become a stronger runner, should I be focusing instead on distance, i.e. jog for 1/10th of a mile rather than for 100 seconds? My ultimate goal is to eventually be able to run full miles with little to no walking intervals, even if I work up to it at this glacial pace I'm moving 😁

Do any of you have experience trying either of these approaches? Did you become a runner by slowly building endurance or did you just go for it and improve as you went? Any input would be appreciated!

The way I started to transition from run/walk intervals to just running was to start by downloading an interval timer for my phone (basic gym boss is free). Then I started by setting the intervals to 60sec run/60 sec walk, telling myself if I felt like it I can run through the walk intervals but not walk in the run intervals. Then each time I went out I'd add 5sec to the run interval (leaving the walk the same), this is such a small amount of extra time that you don't really notice it increasing, unlike the 20sec which is a lot more daunting. Before you know it you're running for 3min at a time and forgetting to walk. (the most I'd ever run without walking before I tackled my first chipped half was 2km and I "forgot" to walk in the walk intervals until I got to 20km)

Just to add, I was still over 200lb when I started my running journey and pr
  • VUA21
    Options

CONGRATS!!! And you are exactly right about slowing down! Once I realized how much more stamina I kept at a jogging pace rather than a full-out run, I've been able to do so much more without being exhausted or sore at the middle or end. I love your avitar, it's great to remember that we may not be fast yet, but we're moving and on the rise injury free. I'd also like to think I'm building more sustainable endurance for myself this way too.

We're faster than everyone sitting on the couch! And "jogging" is a term invented by pugilists (slow run with boxing movements in arms). It's either walking (at least one foot on the ground at all times) or running (both feet off the ground at times), speed has nothing to do with it. So you know what that means.... YOU'RE A RUNNER!!!! Yep.
  • NikNicole7
    edited July 2018
    Options
    So I slowed wayyyy down.. I guess I only thought I was going slowly before, but it's hard to tell in this area of miserable humidity. Instead of setting my timer for 1min 30sec like I planned on doing a few weeks ago, I've been pushing play on my stopwatch and jogging just a few seconds past where I can barely control my breathing. With that approach, I'm surprised to say that I can far exceed 1.5 minutes! Here are my interval times from today:

3:21.4
    3:14.4
    1:37.8 (darn cars!)
    4:52.8
    3:04.3
    5:24.0
    5:07.5
    2:36.0

PROUD!