LCHF weight loss and better health strategy

Options
b52ljs
b52ljs Posts: 6 Member
Hi. I’m getting back to MFP after recently receiving alarming update regarding my coronary condition and out of control diabetes. I am starting to follow a LCH(healthy)F eating strategy. I need a surgery but my doctor refuses to perform it until I dramatically reduce my A1C. The MFP tracker seems to promote many more carbs than I can eat and still retain reasonable BGL. Is anyone else following a LCHF plan? Experience? Can you customize this tracker to your personal carb, protein and fat objectives? Thanks.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Mfp makes recommendations, but its not the diet police, nor does it put food in your mouth.

You can eat what you like, and either just ignore the recommendations or change the % macro goals to suit you
  • Danacgilmore1973
    Danacgilmore1973 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also for almost the same thing. Looking for friends and motivation. Thanks in advance.
  • b52ljs
    b52ljs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Saw dietician today who warns against LCHF for those with coronary artery disease. Confused again. I’ve actually lost about 7 pounds in just a few days but I am worried about my heart health. Dietician suggests up to 60 carbs/ meal, with emphasis on lean protein and non-starchyveggies. Another set of labs taken so at least I’ll have a comprehensive starting point to track progress from. Onward!
  • hohey
    hohey Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi b52, that's rubbish info, read Dr Malcolm Kendrick, Michael Mosley, Dr Aseem Malhotra, about lchf and heart disease. They are British Dr's, but well worth a read, they all have websites.
  • resplendencesana83
    resplendencesana83 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i think its not just abt high fat its healthy fat. on lchf u cannot have canola oil for instance but some butters, avocado and coconut oil are great to use also ghee is a good option. this is my day2 on lchf and i think having healthy fats is better than eating non healthy carbs
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    hohey wrote: »
    Hi b52, that's rubbish info, read Dr Malcolm Kendrick, Michael Mosley, Dr Aseem Malhotra, about lchf and heart disease. They are British Dr's, but well worth a read, they all have websites.

Mosely is a publicist and....Dr Oz is a doctor too. Lots of MDs out there who lend their name to sell books.

A registered dietician has taken many more nutrition courses than most Drs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I normalized my pre-diabetic BG within days of going very low carb. I was keeping carbs under 10g per meal. Low carb intake = lower BG = lower insulin and improved IR in the long run. Ymmv of course.

I highly recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Great book. Works wonderfully.

Sarah Halberg has great videos and research on it.

Good luck.