SW 400lbs GW 250- what should weekly weight loss goal be, and why?

Options
SW 400lbs, goal weight 250. What should my weekly weight loss goal be, and explain your reason. Thanks.

Replies

• asadali317
    asadali317 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    mjc8080 wrote: »
    SW 400lbs, goal weight 250. What should my weekly weight loss goal be, and explain your reason. Thanks.

4 pounds weight loss each week because it will be water weight in the beginning and you can still eat enough
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    have you run your information through MFP and set goal to 2lbs a week (I would do that for your first 100lbs or so) - then adjust down appropriately....what did MFP give you for your goal?
  • Jadub729
    Jadub729 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is very reasonable for you and I think you'll see much more than this honestly. Initially anyways. Reassess in 100lbs. What has worked for me were small goals at first, 5 lb increments. I'm on 13 lbs now.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Whatever ends up proving to be a deficit you can adhere to and implement in a sustainable manner is the one that wins.

You're not doing this for six months or a year. It will take time to lose the weight AND you're also building up your future tool-set and training yourself for... maintenance! <wow: planning for maintenance already! Great move!>

What you can AFFORD to lose with relatively few physical side effects is up to 1% (possibly in the very beginning up to 1.5%) of your total mass per week.

So, in reality, your margins for "safe" loss probably exceed your margins of "smart" loss. In that I agree with the post above about not dropping your calories too low.

In fact, with the margins your have, I would suggest looking up the calories for a sedentary and a lightly active and an active person at 250lbs. Then eat the corresponding number depending on whether you're sedentary, lightly active or active at 400lbs.

While you're at it, look up the corresponding numbers at BMI 24.9. Consider the BMI 24.9 numbers as your lowest desirable number of caloric intake--for the foreseeable future and until you're much closer, if not at, 250.

I would certainly agree with this counsel.

Take the MFP number for losing 2 lbs per week, take estimated TDEE for a 250 lb and 24.9 BMI person of your height.

And the low and high calorie numbers from those 3 methods should give you a wide and comfortable range for daily calorie intake.

It's a long road ahead of you, and you can certainly start off at a vigorous clip, but you can easily become worn out at that pace. The scenic route offers more opportunity for learning and understanding and will set you up for better success when you find yourself comfortably at your destination.