Working at a bakery ;(

Options
I’m trying to lose weight, I’ve been trying for so long but i got a job at a bakery like 4 months ago, it sucks because I feel like I’ve lost all my willpower, not to mention I’ve gained some weight. How can I stay motivated to work there without eating anything? Pls help I really need to lose this weight

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    why not plan your calories for the day - so you can have one thing that they sell - then you aren't wholely prohibiting yourself, but you are working it into calories
  • april111213
    april111213 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    UGGH I work in an office. Super boring and people bring us treats ALL THE TIME like donuts, pies, and chocolate..can you bring healthy snacks? I make my own mini veg tray with ranch dressing. Also fruit to eat for my sweet tooth. ...that's got to be hard working at a bakery seeing, smelling it all day...but if you want it bad enough...YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • ZephieC
    ZephieC Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I worked at a bakery and they let us eat for free. It was awesome, but it did eventually get old. If you have to buy the treats, can you leave your money at home? I do that at work now with the little canteen. I don't allow myself IOUs so no cash means no junk. Each night I pack my breakfast and lunch and an extra snack just in case and that is it. Are you allowed to have something in your mouth? Sucking on a strong candy like peppermint or cinnamon can put you off the junk a bit (at least until the craving passes) plus trying to eating something after it will definitely not taste the same. Try baby steps. If you have to have a treat, can it be a smaller one? Can you split one with a co-worker? If you can't fit it into you daily calories maybe consider setting your weekly weight loss goal to a slower rate. This will give you a bit more to eat so you can make sustainable lifestyle adjustments and not feel like you are depriving yourself. You'll find your way...don't give up on yourself!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    My only advice is to pre-log everything you are going to eat in a day. That way you know how many extra calories you get and what you can splurge on if you decide to. By pre-logging I've found great success in being able to limit myself to just the stuff I said I was going to eat...and if I go over my calories then I make sure I take a walk or get in some exercise to make up for it.
  • jellybeaner91
    jellybeaner91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I’m a pastry chef and have worked in many bakeries and restaurants for over a decade and you cannot believe how hard it is to have self control the entire time! I totally understand where you’re coming from! I just try to fit something sweet into my daily caloric intake, or replace it with a “healthier” sweet option and you’ll be good as gold ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Mint gum.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Other forums have actually recommended Chew and Spit for chefs and bakers which is disordered eating. Pay as you go and track it. When the bakery items outweigh your proteins and vege, you'll moderate it just by growing weary of them always at the ready.
  • tyktok
    tyktok Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of sweet treats out there that don't include refined sugars. Dates are nature's perfect sweetener! I recently made a wonderful sweet treat for myself that has just THREE ingredients. One cup of nuts (your choice), one cup of dried fruit (your choice), and one cup of dates (must use). Toss them all into a food processor and mix/pulse until a soft ball forms (it doesn't take long). Roll into bite-size balls, or press into an 8"x8" baking dish. Chill for at least one hour, cut into squares, and you have a nice treat to satisfy the need for something sweet. There are a lot of add-ins you can include, too. Things like chocolate chips, shredded coconut, cinnamon and other spices. But remember, the more you add (like chocolate and coconut), the higher the calories.

I really like this easy recipe because the nuts and dried fruit are my choice. The last time I made it, I used almonds and dried apricots. I'm making a batch today with cashews and cranberries. I'll be cutting it into squares and drizzling a little semi-sweet chocolate over the surface. I'll use less chocolate than if I add a handful of chocolate chips to the mix. Remember, though, you must always use dates because that's where the sweetness will come from.

When you're surrounded by baked temptations, ask yourself this question. "How will my body benefit from this food choice?" The mind will benefit, that's a given. In the moment, it feels GREAT! ;) But how the body benefits is the bigger question.

p.s. My last batch with almonds, apricots, chocolate chips, cinnamon and nutmeg reminded me of an Eatmore chocolate bar. Imagine that! :)