Running After Injury

Options
jenf330
jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
I just wanted to share this with a group I knew would be supportive and awesome.

Two and a half years ago, I was in a serious car accident that crushed my right foot and ankle. Even two surgeries later, I was told my foot would never function the way it should and to expect limitations. Even simple things like lunges and yoga have been impossible for me. I never expected to run again.

Last week though, I was walking on the treadmill when a fun, upbeat song came on. I felt like I wanted to run, but all my usual fears came back - you can't, it'll hurt. Then I thought, to hell with it, I'm going to try. And the next thing I knew, I was running. :o

I mean, I ran for approx. 20 seconds, but still - I ran! And it didn't hurt and I was OK afterward. Since then I've been working in short bursts of running into my walks and I couldn't be happier. If I'm able to slowly work my way up, I could do 5Ks again. Here's to trying! (note: you should always follow doctors orders and never push yourself too much with an injury. In my case, the doctors simply told me to expect discomfort, not that I couldn't do it)

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Congrats. I know the feeling.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Wonderful! Keep us posted on your progress :)
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Awesome! :flowerforyou:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Congrats on running again! When a doctor tells me I will never do something again I take it as a challenge generally lol.

About ten years ago I bulged and herniated my L4/L5 disc so badly that it cut off the sciatic nerve going down my left leg. It was a month of excruciating pain and eventually emergency surgery when it got so bad I lost all the feeling below my waist. The unfortunate thing is that an inexperienced doctor sent me home for bed rest for a week when that happened rather than evaluate me for emergency surgery. When I went for a 2nd opinion I was told that if I had surgery when that first happened I would have had a 90% recovery rate. Unfortunately since that nerve was completely pinched off for over a week my chances were only 40-50% recovery. I should have sued but didn't. Anyway, they were able to relieve the pressure with a laminectomy and fix the pain in the process and return feeling to my lower parts but the damage was done in my left leg. I can no longer stand on my tip toes with my left foot. That muscle control and some muscle control in my left calf never returned. I did develop some of the other muscles (the body tends to compensate the best it can) but it has left me with a permanent limp unless I concentrate on walking correctly (if you see me limp it usually means I'm tired), and as you can imagine running is a bit tougher, at least with proper form.

Doctors told me no running, no lifting, nothing over 25lbs the rest of my life. No bending, blah blah blah.

I started out walking but would do my best to run in short bursts like you, and then started running up hills and last year started running. By the end of the summer I was running a 5k in under 30 minutes. It was a dream come true. Unfortunately because of the way the muscles work in my left leg it puts some pressure on my joints unevenly and eventually will probably wear out my knees, hip, ankle joints unevenly. I'm already starting to feel it and this is only the 2nd year running. I slowed down this year, doing 5k's a couple times a week. My times are increased about 5-6 minutes but I still enjoy it. I run shorter distances as well.

Point to my story is you can do it. But be mindful of wear and tear and how your foot operates opposed to the opposite foot. If it begins to give you issues you may need to see an orthopedic doctor that specializes in sports/running. There may be inserts they can give you for your shoes that will help. I'm still looking for a good one to see for my issues so I can stretch my running a bit longer. Although eventually I'll probably have to switch to biking.
  • jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats on running again! When a doctor tells me I will never do something again I take it as a challenge generally lol.

About ten years ago I bulged and herniated my L4/L5 disc so badly that it cut off the sciatic nerve going down my left leg. It was a month of excruciating pain and eventually emergency surgery when it got so bad I lost all the feeling below my waist. The unfortunate thing is that an inexperienced doctor sent me home for bed rest for a week when that happened rather than evaluate me for emergency surgery. When I went for a 2nd opinion I was told that if I had surgery when that first happened I would have had a 90% recovery rate. Unfortunately since that nerve was completely pinched off for over a week my chances were only 40-50% recovery. I should have sued but didn't. Anyway, they were able to relieve the pressure with a laminectomy and fix the pain in the process and return feeling to my lower parts but the damage was done in my left leg. I can no longer stand on my tip toes with my left foot. That muscle control and some muscle control in my left calf never returned. I did develop some of the other muscles (the body tends to compensate the best it can) but it has left me with a permanent limp unless I concentrate on walking correctly (if you see me limp it usually means I'm tired), and as you can imagine running is a bit tougher, at least with proper form.

Doctors told me no running, no lifting, nothing over 25lbs the rest of my life. No bending, blah blah blah.

I started out walking but would do my best to run in short bursts like you, and then started running up hills and last year started running. By the end of the summer I was running a 5k in under 30 minutes. It was a dream come true. Unfortunately because of the way the muscles work in my left leg it puts some pressure on my joints unevenly and eventually will probably wear out my knees, hip, ankle joints unevenly. I'm already starting to feel it and this is only the 2nd year running. I slowed down this year, doing 5k's a couple times a week. My times are increased about 5-6 minutes but I still enjoy it. I run shorter distances as well.

Point to my story is you can do it. But be mindful of wear and tear and how your foot operates opposed to the opposite foot. If it begins to give you issues you may need to see an orthopedic doctor that specializes in sports/running. There may be inserts they can give you for your shoes that will help. I'm still looking for a good one to see for my issues so I can stretch my running a bit longer. Although eventually I'll probably have to switch to biking.

Wow, what a story of inspiration! You are awesome!

I definitely identify with not being able to stand on tip toes - that's actually the main part of my problem. I've had bits of bone and an entire joint removed in my toes, so they don't flex like at all. My balance is shot.

I can already tell that I'm landing a bit funny on my bad foot, so I'll definitely keep your suggestion for a special orthopedist in mind. Thanks for sharing your story!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    jenf330 wrote: »
    I can already tell that I'm landing a bit funny on my bad foot, so I'll definitely keep your suggestion for a special orthopedist in mind. Thanks for sharing your story!

Yup that's exactly what I deal with. Balance is a chore at times and running takes effort for form. Even with that effort I know I am wearing my joints badly out of balance. But I do it anyway. ;)