Lactic Acid build up after hiking

Options
While I typically walk between 5-9 miles in a weekend, whenever I do a lots of walking in a day or a long hike, I inevitably feel the constant aching of lactic acid in my muscles particularly the hip flexor area.
I'm excited to go on a 9 mile hike Saturday and plan to brings lots of water, but less excited at the thought of aching legs while I sit at the conference Satuday evening and Sunday.

Anyone have any tips of preventing buildup?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    While I typically walk between 5-9 miles in a weekend, whenever I do a lots of walking in a day or a long hike, I inevitably feel the constant aching of lactic acid in my muscles particularly the hip flexor area.
    I'm excited to go on a 9 mile hike Saturday and plan to brings lots of water, but less excited at the thought of aching legs while I sit at the conference Satuday evening and Sunday.

Anyone have any tips of preventing buildup?

If you're referring to DOMS soreness, try stretching afterwards or foam rolling.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    This isn't timely enough to help you Saturday, but the only long term solution is to do it often enough that your muscles get used to it.

Maybe take some Aleve or Ibuprofen at the conference?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Stay below your lactate threshold.

(I don't think lactic acid build up is what your really feeling, though. I think it's just run of the mill soreness from use.)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    It's not lactic acid, but i know what you mean. Stretch your hip flexors every single hour for 30+ seconds. Use a reminder app if you forget to do it hourly.
    Post an update next week. :+1:

• RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options

(I don't think lactic acid build up is what your really feeling, though. I think it's just run of the mill soreness from use.)

It is definitely not regular soreness. Regular soreness doesn't hurt and isn't uncomfortable for me. I've been so sore where it is hard to get up out of the chair, but only occurs when I'm using the muscle. This is a constant uncomfortableness where I notice it even sitting and not using the muscle that is aching. It also is a constant sensation that doesn't build over time like normal muscles soreness.

I've been told it is lactic acid build up but that could be wrong. I just know it's definitely not regular soreness, where getting a good stretch would immediately make it feel better.

I'll try the stretching every hour in hopes it helps.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

It is definitely not regular soreness. Regular soreness doesn't hurt and isn't uncomfortable for me. I've been so sore where it is hard to get up out of the chair, but only occurs when I'm using the muscle. This is a constant uncomfortableness where I notice it even sitting and not using the muscle that is aching. It also is a constant sensation that doesn't build over time like normal muscles soreness.

I've been told it is lactic acid build up but that could be wrong. I just know it's definitely not regular soreness, where getting a good stretch would immediately make it feel better.

That's DOMS. mobility drills on the affected body part are the best treatment.
  • RadishEater
    Options

That's DOMS. mobility drills on the affected body part are the best treatment.

Except when reading up on DOMS (since I hadn't heard that acronym before) I followed the wiki citation to the actual science book it says "there is little or no discomfort at rest, the sensation of pain is elicited when mechanical stimuli such as pressure, stretching, or contraction are imposed on the affected muscle"

That is completely opposite what I am describing. Cause it is a constant pain at rest, but when moving it is less noticeable. There is usually no stiffness either and the time scale is way off too. More like felt the same day as exertion, definitely not a day or so later. Perhaps I have a weird case
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it is not likely to be lactic acid
    it is likely to be soreness from over use.
    stretch and roll and consider taking an nsaid

of course, none of us are doctors
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How old are you? We don’t recover as fast as when younger. It’s the kitten.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I think I know the feeling. Still, the best treatment is to keep moving lightly, remember your stretches and keep hydrated. Remember to add a cooldown at the end of your workout. That helps in removing the acid from your muscles.

OP, I don’t know where you’re from, but I think there might be a cultural difference in how things are approached. I find it weird since they seem to be different things, but in my native language (Finnish) the cause of DOMS is commonly discussed as being lactic acid, and a post-workout ”My thighs are full of lactic acids” is a common thing you hear (well, the Finnish equivalent). In English, people don’t talk that much about lactic acid, just general soreness. There’s some other linguistic oddities regarding bodies and health issues that you really only start to notice when using two different languages daily.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    How old are you? We don’t recover as fast as when younger. It’s the kitten.
    I've always had this problem; I'm now 27 but remember having it when I was backpacking or on long sight seeing days when I was younger
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    hipari wrote: »
    I think I know the feeling. Still, the best treatment is to keep moving lightly, remember your stretches and keep hydrated. Remember to add a cooldown at the end of your workout. That helps in removing the acid from your muscles.

OP, I don’t know where you’re from, but I think there might be a cultural difference in how things are approached. I find it weird since they seem to be different things, but in my native language (Finnish) the cause of DOMS is commonly discussed as being lactic acid, and a post-workout ”My thighs are full of lactic acids” is a common thing you hear (well, the Finnish equivalent). In English, people don’t talk that much about lactic acid, just general soreness. There’s some other linguistic oddities regarding bodies and health issues that you really only start to notice when using two different languages daily.

This is because modern studies have shown that it really isn't lactic acid that causes the soreness, but micro-tears in the muscle fibers.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It could be your shoes, your pack, your hydration or nutrition levels too. It might sound weird but all these can affect how your muscles feel.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This is kinda a weird answer, but I used to have exactly what you're describing. I'd do just a couple miles or a little exercise and be sore for a week. Like it hurt to even sit down sore. Laying in bed just hurt, not even moving. I recently upped my protein by adding in a protein shake 30 g once a day and that pain has completely vanished. I guess I was lacking protein and my body was struggling to really build muscle. It's worth giving a shot at least. How much protein are you getting right now? It feels so much better being able to exercise for once in my life and not be in excruciating pain for weeks afterwards.
  • RadishEater
    Options
    @FL_Hiker I usually eat 100-130 g of protein and I weight ~129 lb. But the problem I am describing happens when I'm not in my usual routine either somewhere doing a long hike or lots of sightseeing where I can only estimate protein eating out or my family tends to eat a lower protein diet, so I'm probably under.