New Hiker!

Options
So I just moved to Tacoma from the Rocky Mountains, and I've fallen in love with the forests here. I have NEVER been the outdoorsy sort - more the speedrun video games and avoid sunlight sort - but I'm starting to see the joy and freedom in the woods, and it's been rad. I don't even own a pair of boots yet (I spent two hours wandering the woods in converse last night) so I was wondering if there are any other new hikers out there? Please add me, if so! Also, if anyone has any tips or advice for the newly adventurous, I'd love to hear it 💕💕

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Don't buy boots unless you plan to hike in snow a lot. A pound on your feet is like ten on your back.

The best hiking around here is in the North Cascades. Go to Artist Point on Mount Baker. Hike to Cascade Pass and Hidden Lake near Marblemount. Do the Heather and Maple Pass loop. You haven't lived until you've seen the PCT from Harts Pass.

Check out wta and nwhikers, especially for recent trip reports.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    ive live in the PNW my entire life and have never hiked. I really want to, but I dont want to go by myself
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    ive live in the PNW my entire life and have never hiked. I really want to, but I dont want to go by myself

@Fflpnari Suggest checking to see if there is a hiking club of some sort in your area. Many communities have them and they are a great way to meet people and learn about hiking trails in your area.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    You only need true heavy and stiff leather boots if you have weak ankles or want the added weight for the additional work out (kinda like loading your pack with excess water...). Or plan on, as was pointed out, mountaineering. lol

What is more important in the PNW is pick something with a excellent traction and/or a sticky rubber sole - like you see with water/rock climbing shoes. Indispensable, imo, for wet rock/trails/water crossings. More so than anything with a waterproof membrane. Slipping and sliding around here can cost you your life (see: the number of recent fall deaths in the Columbia gorge).

My trustiest shoes that carried me with confidence all over WA/OR/ID/NV in all weather (and even fit crampons on a couple occasions) + both above and below ground (lava tubes!) from '08-'12 were the older version of men's 5.10 Camp Four approach shoes. Hoping my feet will shrink to fit them again once the weight is off of them again.

Keens are a distant second favorite, depending on the sole material.

Trail runner tennie-styles like Montrail/Innov8/Brooks/etc. were comfy on dry summer trails but (1) wore out fast (~3 months) on the volcanic rock and, (2), treacherous on wet rock. Generally pretty good in mud, though.

• grinning_chick
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Also: No joke, always take your 10 essentials + a whistle, always have someone know where you went and your ETA to return (and call/text then if your plans change out in the field on the fly...), and be prepared for wet/cold weather at all times. I almost got hypothermia once waiting hours at Moraine lake to see if South Sister was going to clear of being socked in with misty rain clouds. In August. By the time I got back to the trailhead after bailing due to the cold and rain, it had (of course), and it was in the 90s.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    Don't buy boots unless you plan to hike in snow a lot. A pound on your feet is like ten on your back.

That's your advice? Seriously?

Yes, and it's based on years of experience on and off trail in the region the OP is starting to hike in.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite believer in mid weight hiking boots. With many rocky rooty wet trails I use them even on short hikes. REI often has workshops on various activities, so check tbe Tacoma store for any sessions or possibly even group hikes they might be offering. The 10 essentials are no joke and you can never have too much water. I love my camelback pack. Start small and Learn how to be safe and wise. The conditions can be quite variable and change fast especially with any kind of elevation.. Also find a good guide book. Mountaineers has some of tbe best on this area. Have fun!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Not new to hiking but I'd love to add you :) . I live in FL and love our local hiking trails, unfortunately this time of year they are usually too swampy to hike (almost stepped on a water moccasin the other day oops) so I mostly hike in the winter time with my big white wolf looking dog! Happy trails!
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm a definite believer in mid weight hiking boots. With many rocky rooty wet trails I use them even on short hikes. REI often has workshops on various activities, so check tbe Tacoma store for any sessions or possibly even group hikes they might be offering. The 10 essentials are no joke and you can never have too much water. I love my camelback pack. Start small and Learn how to be safe and wise. The conditions can be quite variable and change fast especially with any kind of elevation.. Also find a good guide book. Mountaineers has some of tbe best on this area. Have fun!

Even around here, a lot of trails are dry and dusty. For sure being water unless you know for sure you don't need to.

Consider a water filter. Sawyer Mini for example is 2 oz and costs $20.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Check out Washington Hikers and Climbers on Facebook, too.

But wta and nwh will be your best resources.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    There's nothing you absolutely have to do or absolutely can't do. It's your hike, it's your experience... make it what you want it to be. Enjoy your time in the woods. Dress comfortably, whatever that means to you. Boots or sneakers or anything in between... a backpack, a hand-held water bottle, or anything in between... gym shorts/tshirt, technical hiking clothing, or anything in between - IT ALL WORKS. Hiking means different things to different people and in different parts of the world. So just do your hike and don't worry about the rest of it.

I guess the only "tip" I'll give you is this - do a little research on where you plan to hike, then try to be a little over prepared. That could mean an extra layer of clothing, a headlamp and batteries, a little extra food/water, etc. At least until you have a better feel for what you like/need/what from your hikes.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I guess the only "tip" I'll give you is this - do a little research on where you plan to hike, then try to be a little over prepared. That could mean an extra layer of clothing, a headlamp and batteries, a little extra food/water, etc. At least until you have a better feel for what you like/need/what from your hikes.

I like this^^
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    love the area-go north to the olympic pennisula if you have a chance.
    when i hike hike i like med weight boots
    when i'm on a casual trail, gortex running shoes
    always let someone know where you are going
    bring a whistle
    water, a life straw or something similar might not be remiss
    food/snacks just in case
    i like to have an emergency kit in my car and if i'm going on a trail that requires a pack, emergency kit goes in the pack. better safe than sorry
  • grinning_chick
    edited July 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    There's nothing you absolutely have to do or absolutely can't do.

No. You absolutely, every time, need to let someone know where you went and when you'll be back. You know...so if you don't make it home you don't die from something that otherwise would not have been fatal had people come looking for you in a reasonable time frame. And can mount an effective search for you considering the reality of success in difficult terrain. Which describes anything in the PNW that involves trees or mountains you can't just drive to the top of vs. strolling up to begin with.

Well, okay, I'll concede you are correct under one set of conditions. You absolutely don't have to do that if you plan on walking into the trees around here (or anywhere for that matter) and not back out. Ever.