• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    From the CDC: "Eat breakfast every day. Eating breakfast is a common trait among people who have lost weight and kept it off. Eating a healthful breakfast may help you avoid getting "over-hungry" and then overeating later in the day."

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/keepingitoff.html

I think the National Weight Control Registry is a great thing, but it's still just correlation. Everyone I know in real life who has lost weight and kept it off has just a cup of coffee for breakfast. I think because there has been so much press for so many years about eating breakfast being good for you, it's possible that all that quote means is that people who are paying attention to their health are eating breakfast, whether it actually helps them or not, because TPTB told them to, along with an on-point reason that sounds better than "because it's the prevailing wisdom".

Breakfast helps some people control hunger throughout the day, for others it causes hunger throughout the day.

Any facts and data other than personal observations regarding your point about just a cup of coffee for breakfast to lose/keep weight off?

I didn't say that was what caused their weight loss. Just presenting a little context for my doubt that eating breakfast universally helps people lose weight.

What data does the CDC provide to show that eating breakfast causes weight loss, other than statistical correlation?

If you read the study you will find eating breakfast is one of the factors that successful weight loss maintainers have in common. It did not say eating breakfast causes weight loss.

Yes, that was my point. So if you didn't post it as proof of advice to eat breakfast, what were you trying to say? I guess I misunderstand. It told people to eat breakfast, because most people they are tracking who lose weight eat breakfast. All I was saying is that I think that is misleading, since all they are providing is statistical correlation with a guessed reason for that correlation.

Just because a majority of successful people do something, it doesn't mean that the something contributed to their success. It could be inconsequential, or in fact some people may succeed despite choices that make it more difficult.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Have not had breakfast save for the odd brunch out since I was 16yo; I'm 37
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    eshorts1 wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea to eat something. Even if its a breakfast smoothie you can drink in the car on the go. It's my understanding some people who skip breakfast tend to over eat other times of the day. I also think it's completely up to how a persons body burns calories. If you find yourself trying to loose weight with no success, start eating a small breakfast to see if the weight starts coming off.

Everyone is different. If I eat breakfast, it "starts" my hunger for the day and I end up eating more calories overall.

This is my experience as well. I accredit my not eating until lunch time as what helped me lose (by helping me stick to my calorie goal) and keep it off.
  • JDtheM
    JDtheM Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Complete myth. Your metabolism is quite fixed and little more than a series of biochemical reactions. Timing has no detectable influence in weight management.

• FrostysHouse
    FrostysHouse Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I generally have just a cup of coffee first thing, and it works for me. I find I'm actually hungrier by lunchtime if I've eaten breakfast than if I wait.
  • AlanaVolskaya
    AlanaVolskaya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've never been a fan of eating before lunch - however, recently I've noticed that when i have a small cup of oatmeal in the morning (about 200 calories), I survive until lunch much easier, and I get full faster. When I skipped breakfast, I'd be starving around 11am, and then craved snacks all up until dinner, when I'd once again be starving. So for me personally*, i think it has helped satiate my cravings. I'm able to have a lunch under 500 calories, and a few fruits between lunch and dinner.

It all depends on how your body responds. I've gained a lot of weight in the last 2 years because of my afternoon snacking (i never ate breakfast), and I dont feel the craving as much now that I've started eating oatmeal.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Since this is the debate section, I'll throw in my hat for the defense of breakfast.

78% of successful losers (that is, they took it off and kept it off) eat breakfast.

http://www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm

OOPS. Someone beat me to it.

Besides, breakfast is a great way to start the day. Absolutely necessary for diabetics.

78 percent is not 100 percent. 22 is a decent number suggesting that it is more than doable. That could even be the percentage of people, like myself, that will eat more due to increased hunger if a morning meal is consumed making it a terrible way to start the day.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Like the others said, there is little to no evidence that meal timing and frequencies have any impact on weight management. It is all about how many calories you eat and how many you expend. I personally am a big breakfast eater. I’ll sometimes take in half my daily calories and then not eat until supper time.

But that is me; it works for me, helps me avoid cravings and suits my lifestyle. IMHO a big issue in this area is someone finds what works for them and then tries to tell everyone that it is the absolute best for absolutely everyone; to which I say absolute BS.

Everyone has different needs, wants and lifestyles so it logically follows that everyone needs to find what works best for them and stick to it, whatever it is.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    jmr5681 wrote: »
    I never skip breakfast. It's part of my morning routine. If I do it feels that I am missing something. I rather cut back on snacks.

Very good. Lack of routine is one of the things that's contributing to the downward slide in family life and in society generally.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    From the CDC: "Eat breakfast every day. Eating breakfast is a common trait among people who have lost weight and kept it off. Eating a healthful breakfast may help you avoid getting "over-hungry" and then overeating later in the day."

https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/keepingitoff.html

Here is the abstract of that article. You have to click on research findings then look for the link.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11836452?dopt=Abstract

Long-term weight loss and breakfast in subjects in the National Weight Control Registry.
    Abstract
    OBJECTIVE:
    To examine breakfast consumption in subjects maintaining a weight loss in the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR).
    RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES:
    A cross-sectional study in which 2959 subjects in the NWCR completed demographic and weight history questionnaires as well as questions about their current breakfast consumption. All subjects had maintained a weight loss of at least 13.6 kg (30 lb) for at least 1 year; on average these subjects had lost 32 kg and kept it off for 6 years.
    RESULTS:
    A large proportion of NWCR subjects (2313 or 78%) reported regularly eating breakfast every day of the week. Only 114 subjects (4%) reported never eating breakfast. There was no difference in reported energy intake between breakfast eaters and non-eaters, but breakfast eaters reported slightly more physical activity than non-breakfast eaters (p = 0.05).
    DISCUSSION:
    Eating breakfast is a characteristic common to successful weight loss maintainers and may be a factor in their success.

My comments:

The number of participants was good, almost 3,000 but these were self-selected they were picked from people that voluntarily identified themselves in the NWCR. We can assume that anyone participating in this registry is already motivated to lose weight and be concerned with their diet.

There is no indication that there was any correspondence between amount of weight lost and breakfast eating, It deals with people who had lost 30 lbs or more and kept it off for over a year. Nothing to indicate any correlation between the breakfast eating behaviours while they were losing weight.

The study was also a recall study, people were not observed at their behaviors but were asked what they did. A common hazard in these studies is participants will tell the researcher what they think the researcher will approve of. Since these are diet aware people and the researchers are also knowledgeable in the diet area, it could also be used as proof that 78% of people who self-identified as interested in participating in a study and lost weight have fallen into the myth that eating breakfast is important.

• lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    In the summer when I often sleep in until 9ish (I'm a SAHM and my kids sleep in until around 10 most mornings in the summer) I usually skip breakfast and just eat an early lunch around 11. Then I eat some fruit or veggies for a snack mid-afternoon. On days like today where I was up before 7 am I do eat breakfast because I feel like it's too long to wait for lunch. Either way I'm still losing weight doing it both ways.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I’ve never been much of a breakfast eater. I prefer an iced coffee when I wake up, and then lunch around 11.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I’m gonna say - If you’re not hungry, don’t eat. Like other(s) have said - breakfast is your first meal whether it’s at 6am or noon.
  • ThereAreManyNames
    ThereAreManyNames Posts: 54 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The whole 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' thing was created and pushed by advertisers in the 40s anyhow, and the whole idea of three square meals a day is entirely a social invention to begin with.

If you're not hungry, don't eat. Look at it as being able to eat a more filling and satisfying meal later when your body is desiring food.

e: beaten by ContraryMary. That's what I get for skimming the second page.