Protein: Grams or % of Calories?

Options
I am extremely active, running 6-10 mile a day and lifting weights in the evenings. I am wondering if I should stick to the recommended grams per day of 60-100 or a certain % of my calories. The reason I ask is that if I set protein as 25%, sometimes I eat more than 200 grams of protein because I eat so many calories to fuel my activity. If I shift to grams, though, this means I would be eating a great deal more carbs and/or fat, and I try to stay balanced at 40% carb, 35% fat and 25% protein.

I am a 5' 4" 130 pound female.

Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Grams > percentage. In general 1.5-2.2g/kg of weight but it probably is better to be at the 2.2 or higher for an active person
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    Grams. What really got me thinking about was reducing my deficit as I neared goal. The % kept increasing my goal amounts. I didn't need more protein just because I was eating more. Same with fat and carbs. As long as I am getting reasonable amounts of each, I can use the extra calories however i want.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Grams, but view your protein and fat needs in grams as a floor -- it's OK to get more than that. Once you've hit your requirements for protein and fat, you can allocate the remaining calories however it suits you. If I have a protein-heavy breakfast and lunch, it doesn't mean I have to avoid protein for the rest of the day.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I more than meet my protein and fat requirements with my NEAT calories and can burn up 1000 calories a day walking (normally around the 500 mark). They are eaten within whichever macro group I feel like.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Studies show that there is no benefit to over 0.82g / lb of body weight, that being said if you are recovering from an injury or just the older you get your body will naturally use more protein, so going over is definitely better than going under. However if you don't have any pre-existing kidney issues then you can eat as much protein as you like if it fits into your calories allotment.

Personally I probably eat twice as much protein than I need, but most of my favorite food is protein based.

Studies show a range, not a specific data point. I wouldn't say there is no benefit after .82g, especially if one is active and lean.

They do a show a data range 0.5 - 0.82 with no improved benefit beyond 0.82g

And that is taking into consideration activity!

Id suggest that might be light.

https://youtu.be/wC6aG4dlRZg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i do grams - set amount of 145g a day - i'm female, 5'3" and 163lbs...

i will say that 200g a day for your height/weight seems a bit excessive - since you are in the 3.3-3.4g/kg range based on 200g and 130lbs
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Grams (as a minimum).
    My calorie needs vary from about 2000 to about 6500 thousand but my protein needs don't vary that much.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I would say get the popcorn, but I am actually munching 45g of roasted edamame with 19.5g of protein while I read this back and forth....
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Studies show that there is no benefit to over 0.82g / lb of body weight, that being said if you are recovering from an injury or just the older you get your body will naturally use more protein, so going over is definitely better than going under. However if you don't have any pre-existing kidney issues then you can eat as much protein as you like if it fits into your calories allotment.

Personally I probably eat twice as much protein than I need, but most of my favorite food is protein based.

Studies show a range, not a specific data point. I wouldn't say there is no benefit after .82g, especially if one is active and lean.

They do a show a data range 0.5 - 0.82 with no improved benefit beyond 0.82g

And that is taking into consideration activity!

Id suggest that might be light.

https://youtu.be/wC6aG4dlRZg

This was a study done on athletes. I would suggest the average Joe would require slightly less.

However, I think we all agree going over this amount isn't dissuaded and belt and braces on protein consumption is encouraged.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22150425