What am I doing wrong?

Options
Let me first start by saying I am 47 and got a violet shove into menopause 2 years ago because of surgery I needed. I stay under my calorie goal, I exercise 4 days a week but I am gaining weight. Not much but still gaining. What the heck am I doing wrong?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stalled
    When did you start eating at a deficit, what was your weight when you started and what is it now?
    How are you measuring your portions and are you choosing entries in the database carefully?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you weigh everything solid? How do you calculate your calorie burns?

How much do you weigh now? How tall? Goal weight?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    How long have you been monitoring your weight, what's your calorie goal, are you hitting it consistently, for how long, and how are you logging your food intake?
  • tyismc
    tyismc Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    my goal weight is 168 I am 5'6. Right now I weigh 268. I have not lost in weeks.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    When did you start eating at a deficit, what was your weight when you started and what is it now?
    How are you measuring your portions and are you choosing entries in the database carefully?
    How accurate is your calorie counting? Do you weigh everything solid? How do you calculate your calorie burns?

So when did you start?
    How are you tracking calories?

What is your daily allowance?
  • tyismc
    Options
    I have been stalled for over a month now. My calorie goal is set at 1700
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    tyismc wrote: »

Why is your calorie goal so high?
  • tyismc
    Options
    that is what is gives me when I put in all my infomation. I dont ever hit that. I usually only hit between 1400 and 1600
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Have you put your stats into MFP, selected sedentary as your activity level, selected to lose 1 lb/week, and gone with the calorie amount MFP gives you?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Why is your calorie goal so high?

1700 is really low for someone at 260+ lbs.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I hope this helps you a little...I belonged to a gym but had to quit due to an injury. I just joined back up. It has been about a year. I saw this women the other day whom I had met when i belonged the first time. I did not recognize her. I was like holy crap what did you do? Huge bad I know. Anyway, she looked amazing. She was sculpted, all sucked in, in the right places, fabulous. I asked her what she did. She said in December she finally got serious about her health and fitness. She cleared out her entire kitchen of all processed foods. She cut out lots of carbs and really upped her protein. She said she started noticing changes to her body in a few weeks. She does eat brown rice, vegetables, mainly chicken for protein. She stays away from sugar and lots of fruit. Eggs for breakfast, salads with chicken for lunch. And, she started using heavier weights. She is my fitness goals right now. I have adopted her eating and look better after just a few days. My husband noticed my stomach right away.
    That was 7 months ago. She is 30 lbs down. So, it can be done. I hope this helps motivate you and give you some ideas. Best of luck. You can do it. By the way, she has 4 kids. If she can do it, we all can.
  • stanmann571
    Options

How are you tracking your calories?

When did you start your program, and at what weight?

At 260+ lbs, you should be easily losing 2-3 lbs per week.

Since you're not, the most likely culprit is inaccurate logging.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Food scale? Agree 1700 is not high for 260lbs.

Why are you asking for help but not giving folks who are responding information to work with? Everyone on this thread is trying to drag it out of you.
  • tyismc
    Options
    I have not used a food scale. I measure out everything. and what do you mean not giving information? I have answered every question. Are they not posting correctly?
  • tyismc
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Food scale? Agree 1700 is not high for 260lbs.

Why are you asking for help but not giving folks who are responding information to work with? Everyone on this thread is trying to drag it out of you.

I think I was posting the responces incorrectly. But I have answered all the questions down the thread.
  • tyismc
    Options
    I started faithfully about 2 months ago. at 265 i weighed in this morning at 268. I measure my portions through measuring cups and spoons. I dont have a food scale.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I started faithfully about 2 months ago. at 265 i weighed in this morning at 268. I measure my portions through measuring cups and spoons. I dont have a food scale.

Get a food scale
  • tyismc
    Options

My weight now is 268.5. I dont have a food scale but measure everything else i can with measuring cups and spoons. I calculate my calorie burns through the exercise link in here which i know is never really accurate so I dont use those calories if that makes sense.

• stanmann571
    edited July 2018
    Options

That should be your first step, although, given where you're at, even with the inherent inaccuracies of measuring cups, you should be seeing some result after 8 weeks.

Are you using packaged food? And trusting the label for serving sizes? Serving sizes should be cross checked with weight vs count. Some slices of bread for example are off by 200%-Serving size 55 g actual weight 130 g for example.

What sort of meals are you preparing?