Hometown Delights

Options

Replies

• DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Does a Dunkin Donuts Boston Krème Donut count as a local delicacy?

A delicacy yes but they are not local. ;)
    Red Socks! Bruins!

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This one is hard....but the chicken fried steak someone posted above made me hungry!!

As I have lived all over the country, I would say now, in NY, nothing is better then a pastrami on rye (not the white stuff pictured below...yuck!).
    kof1grp02ssa.jpg

Growing up in the midwest however, I have a soft spot for pasties:

96xhpbaypvfa.jpg

and a family favorite (I am Dutch), banketstaaf:

qxt98d0omm2h.jpg

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    As I have lived all over the country, I would say now, in NY, nothing is better then a pastrami on rye

One of the many things I could think of also. Then I also added bagels to the list.

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Not for the lactose intolerant.

c1kkth67m6d4.jpg

Chicago? *drool* IL - my home state.

But I'm in Kansas now and everyone flips over steak and BBQ, neither of which I care for much.

Yep, just a little Lou Malnati's.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options

c1kkth67m6d4.jpg

But I'm in Kansas now and everyone flips over steak and BBQ, neither of which I care for much.

I think this needs to be seen again. I LOVE the Chicago Classic. I don't care if the butter crust adds more calories. So worth it! The last time I had Lou's I ate 4 slices...of a large...

o.jpg
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I'm wondering why it is that I don't find most of these "weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!" Most of these don't seem weird at all. Is it just me?!

ETA: I can't think of a dish from my current hometown that might seem odd to outsiders. There might be one, but particularly since I'm vegan, maybe I'm just not thinking of it.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

c1kkth67m6d4.jpg

I think this needs to be seen again. I LOVE the Chicago Classic. I don't care if the butter crust adds more calories. So worth it! The last time I had Lou's I ate 4 slices...of a large...

o.jpg

Dammit! I must get back to IL again!

• Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Burritos smothered in green chili (either hot, mild or half’n half) and topped with lettuce, tomato and cheese, and guacamole and sour cream. This image is from google but it’s Santiago’s my favorite place in Northern Colorado! Mmmmm....when I go back to visit now I have to get mild and even then my stomach has issues, lol. I used to be able to eat the hot any and every day of the week.

tieago6trjuo.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this. I'm from Colorado and I couldn't think of anything really unique and "local", but yes, green chili smothered burrito!!!
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Another (former) Chicagoan here. As far as I know, no one actually eats a Chicago-style hot dog, but pretty much everyone eats Chicago-style pizza. My husband and children think it’s disgusting.

Now I’m in Silicon Valley, so I guess our weird food is farm to table everything.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!
    I thought it would be fun to start a thread of weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!

I am from Rochester NY and here we have "Garbage Plates". Garbage plates were invented by Nick Tahou at his burger place but are now sold pretty much everywhere in Rochester you can buy a hamburger or hotdog.

A garbage plate traditionally has a base of Macaroni Salad and home fries, although you can customize them to pretty much anything including baked beans, tater tots, etc. Then you either get 2 hamburgers, cheeseburgers, or hotdogs on top. To top it all off there is a spicy meat sauce and onions plus your choice of ketchup, mustard, and/or relish.

Everyone thinks they sound gross until you try one and they are amazing! There is also great debate in Rochester over who makes the best Garbage plate and it can be quite the hot button topic. Everyone has a favorite place to get one and will defend it until the end. My personal favorite place is called Jimmy Z's in the Village of Brockport, where I went to college.

Here is a picture of one for your drooling pleasure:
    7m3pualzbpfr.jpg

Tell us your hometown dish!

Another Rochesterian here to second the garbage plate! A day's worth of calories but SOOOO worth it! My personal fav is Steve T's in Gates.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Slashnl wrote: »
    Burritos smothered in green chili (either hot, mild or half’n half) and topped with lettuce, tomato and cheese, and guacamole and sour cream. This image is from google but it’s Santiago’s my favorite place in Northern Colorado! Mmmmm....when I go back to visit now I have to get mild and even then my stomach has issues, lol. I used to be able to eat the hot any and every day of the week.

tieago6trjuo.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this. I'm from Colorado and I couldn't think of anything really unique and "local", but yes, green chili smothered burrito!!!

It comes to you from your neighbor to the south... ;)
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    I'm wondering why it is that I don't find most of these "weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!" Most of these don't seem weird at all. Is it just me?!

ETA: I can't think of a dish from my current hometown that might seem odd to outsiders. There might be one, but particularly since I'm vegan, maybe I'm just not thinking of it.

I don't think any New Mexican food is weird, but I've lived here for 30+ years. We have had visitors come and think it's weird that we smother all of our traditional food in red or green chile...and put it on a lot of other things as well...we'll pretty much put that stuff on anything.

Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfast foods, but I know a lot of people not from here who think it's weird to have pinto beans with eggs...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Here in my adopted home town Oaxaca, MX, Chapulines (fried grasshoppers) and Chicatanas (a large winged ant that comes out only in June) are all the rage. Lol
    They are actually pretty good. Also. Moles (sauces) that include chiles, chocolate and lots of other ingredients. There are 7 of them, the most popular being Negro, Rojo and Coloradito.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Menudo...

JqLiT3M1MVLD1DWP7DHb7vDu2r587k_B0-QcYvMArhboz12h6qYG-uPebSac_E3tvD3g795EqnHQ81Q7HlR_v1PqrpY81oma9TWnmQ=w600-l68

It's actually the only New Mexican food I don't care for, but most people here seem to love it. I don't do tripe.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't think any New Mexican food is weird, but I've lived here for 30+ years. We have had visitors come and think it's weird that we smother all of our traditional food in red or green chile...and put it on a lot of other things as well...we'll pretty much put that stuff on anything.

Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfast foods, but I know a lot of people not from here who think it's weird to have pinto beans with eggs...

Not a huge fan of red, but I love green chili. My favorite thing to put it on is a spoon. :) I do love it as a topping also, but just a bowl of good green chili and a tortilla or two and I'm good. It has gotten harder for me to have good chili since I gave up eating mammals though. I make some good green chicken chili, but most of it I find out in restaurants is the standard pork chili. Green sauce is not at all the same thing.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

My husband once ordered a chili burger in NM expecting something like this:
    jab5ab5y9xm1.png

Instead he got this:
    0hh6adx0nmte.jpg
    He said it was good, just not what he expected :lol:

• cwolfman13
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

My husband once ordered a chili burger in NM expecting something like this:
    jab5ab5y9xm1.png

Instead he got this:
    0hh6adx0nmte.jpg
    He said it was good, just not what he expected :lol:

Yeah, you don't really see the "cowboy" chili here...though I make it because I'm originally from the Midwest (pretty much only gringo transplants make it here). A lot of people will make something that looks similar, but it's beans and ground beef in straight red...no tomatoes...usually for Frito Pie.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    Tamales...

tamales-1.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Chile Rellenos...

relleno11.jpg?w=1000