Hometown Delights

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for another trip to New Mexico. Although I can get some pretty great tamales from the hole in the wall Mexican restaurant down the street. They also make a mean verde sauce. They warn me every time 'Now, that one is hot!' I'm like, I know, bring it on! But maybe refill my water first :laugh:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Posole...my favorite around Christmas...hominy and pork simmered for hours in red chile and broth/water

Cooked-Pozole.jpg

Yum! Pozole Rojo!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    deonbfit wrote: »
    I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet! Up here in Canada (I'm from the Toronto area) everyone is crazy about poutine. Fries (chips) topped with cheese curds and hot gravy! I like to add ketchup to mine and people think I'm nuts!
    rxx9ck3724k7.jpg

The food is so popular that there is a food chain called Smokes Poutinerie which makes all sorts of crazy poutine combinations (usually open till 4am on weekends haha) Here is their menu.
    lyp8eksztlc6.jpg

This is my favourite poutine from Smokes. It's called the Nacho Grande. Chili, jalepenos, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
    4z728kkdc977.jpg

Best poutine I ever had here in Edmonton was Shawarma Poutine from a local food truck.

I think in Edmonton we may have invented green onion cake?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/green-onion-cakes-edmonton-lets-find-out-siu-to-1.4566603
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Fried cheese curds. Well, anything cheese related. The city I live in hosts "Cheese Days" every two years. A whole weekend devoted to beer, cheese, and music. Our city population grows from 12K to over 100K for the weekend.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    veganbaum wrote: »
    I'm wondering why it is that I don't find most of these "weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!" Most of these don't seem weird at all. Is it just me?!

ETA: I can't think of a dish from my current hometown that might seem odd to outsiders. There might be one, but particularly since I'm vegan, maybe I'm just not thinking of it.

I don't think any New Mexican food is weird, but I've lived here for 30+ years. We have had visitors come and think it's weird that we smother all of our traditional food in red or green chile...and put it on a lot of other things as well...we'll pretty much put that stuff on anything.

Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfast foods, but I know a lot of people not from here who think it's weird to have pinto beans with eggs...

I haven't lived in many states, but I just don't find most of the posted foods weird even though I haven't eaten them.

I suppose everything smothered in chile could be weird to some. But come chile roasting season I'll eat tons of it wrapped in a flour tortilla with just some salt, so maybe I'm not the best judge of what's weird to others.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    veganbaum wrote: »
    I'm wondering why it is that I don't find most of these "weird dishes from your hometown (wherever that may be) that seem odd to an outsider but locals love them!" Most of these don't seem weird at all. Is it just me?!

ETA: I can't think of a dish from my current hometown that might seem odd to outsiders. There might be one, but particularly since I'm vegan, maybe I'm just not thinking of it.

I don't think any New Mexican food is weird, but I've lived here for 30+ years. We have had visitors come and think it's weird that we smother all of our traditional food in red or green chile...and put it on a lot of other things as well...we'll pretty much put that stuff on anything.

Huevos Rancheros is one of my favorite breakfast foods, but I know a lot of people not from here who think it's weird to have pinto beans with eggs...

My husband once ordered a chili burger in NM expecting something like this:
    jab5ab5y9xm1.png

Instead he got this:
    0hh6adx0nmte.jpg
    He said it was good, just not what he expected :lol:

Chili vs chile. I could see that being a common misunderstanding.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    fried cheesecurds, friday night fish frys, brandy alexanders from a supper club
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    And this is what we call kolache. 72lb833lna74.jpg
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ugh. No icing. That is just wrong.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    Sauerkraut balls. ojzuh26fnt19.jpg

Now this is odd. Most of the stuff in this thread is just normal food. This is just... :open_mouth: What else is in them besides sauerkraut?
  • pinuplove
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Sauerkraut balls. ojzuh26fnt19.jpg

Now this is odd. Most of the stuff in this thread is just normal food. This is just... :open_mouth: What else is in them besides sauerkraut?

I was thinking that looks like something I need to try :lol:
  • pinuplove
    Options
    And this is what we call kolache. 72lb833lna74.jpg

Isn't that a Swiss roll or a roulade? :huh: Definitely not a kolache as I know it!
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

southern-pear.jpg?itok=1mXwhSo4
  • pinuplove
    Options
    @mom23mangos OK, that's officially weird! :smile:
  • Ruatine
    Options
    Ding, ding, ding. I think we have a winner. @mom23mangos step right up and claim your prize for the weirdest hometown food item. :star:
  • Ruatine
    Options
    @pinuplove I'd have to know what else was in that sauerkraut ball to know if it's something I'd be willing to try.
  • pinuplove
    Options
    @Ruatine They don't look all that scary! https://www.google.com/amp/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/sauerkraut-balls-13700 (But I grew up eating sauerkraut with hot dogs cut up in it, so what do I know)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Not from rochester, but we have the same garbage plates here haha.