Hometown Delights

Options

Replies

• HealthyTardis
    HealthyTardis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Iowa here, I'd say our maid rites,sweet corn and pork tenderloin sandwiches are the big claim to fame around here. Fish fry every Friday during Lent, and year round at the local diner. Also at every family get together (or for a fast no prep meal) people do summer sausage, crackers, and cheese on a serving platter
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    deonbfit wrote: »
    I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet! Up here in Canada (I'm from the Toronto area) everyone is crazy about poutine. Fries (chips) topped with cheese curds and hot gravy! I like to add ketchup to mine and people think I'm nuts!
    rxx9ck3724k7.jpg

The food is so popular that there is a food chain called Smokes Poutinerie which makes all sorts of crazy poutine combinations (usually open till 4am on weekends haha) Here is their menu.
    lyp8eksztlc6.jpg

This is my favourite poutine from Smokes. It's called the Nacho Grande. Chili, jalepenos, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream.
    4z728kkdc977.jpg

Surely this would help anyone with constipation. ;)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    Sauerkraut balls. ojzuh26fnt19.jpg

Now this is odd. Most of the stuff in this thread is just normal food. This is just... :open_mouth: What else is in them besides sauerkraut?

This is closest I can find to my aunt's recipe. https://thespruceeats.com/sauerkraut-balls-appetizer-recipe-1135621
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

southern-pear.jpg?itok=1mXwhSo4

Our relatives in Louisiana ALL love that "salad"!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I've seen people gag over this one, but it's a staple in Louisiana (and the South in general). Pear salad---canned Pear half over lettuce, filled with mayo and topped with cheese and optional cherry.

That's a little heavy on the mayo and light on the cheese compared to how I had them growing up in AL & GA. Mayo on a lot of things; even peanut butter and banana sandwiches; that's surprisingly good. I was visiting one of my older relatives several years ago and she offered to make hot dogs for the kids. Fried them in butter in an iron skillet. Healthy? Heck, no. Tasty? You bet. Real butter; I don't think she allowed margarine in the house. At least she didn't use bacon grease (there was a coffee can half full of it right next to the stove).
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Sauerkraut balls. ojzuh26fnt19.jpg

That looks like something I have eaten at Irish places. They are called Ruben balls, Sauerkraut. Swiss cheese, corn beef, the dipping sauce is Thousand Island dressing and the breading is a rye based breading.
  • DoubleUbea
    edited July 2018
    Options

Something similar that grossed me out as a child but I enjoy it now is Waldorf Salad; apples, walnuts, mini-marshmallows, orange slices and .... mayo! (we use yogurt to reduce the fat and get some protein)

• walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My hometown is far away....

cz8qpl5ymw2s.png
  • DoubleUbea
    edited July 2018
    Options
    [Real butter; I don't think she allowed margarine in the house. At least she didn't use bacon grease (there was a coffee can half full of it right next to the stove).

I was raised to have real butter, my mother was born on a farm and I didn't know what margarine was until I went to a friends house in Jr. high.

My mother would slice a pocket into a hot dog length wise, put cheddar cheese in that pocket, wrap the hot dog in bacon and bake it until the bacon was done. That was really good. I tried it once as an adult and it was too much but as a kid I loved it.
    Edit: Now that I think about it I used to love a hot dog covered in blue cheese and mustard.

The family still uses butter, especially for baking.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    In NC, there are 3 - seafood, BBQ and BBQ. Seafood down at the coast is fried soft shell crab, hush puppies and shrimp. BBQ in the eastern part of NC is shredded pork with vinegar. BBQ in the western part of the state is pork ribs or sliced brisket in a sweet tomato based sauce.

Winston-Salem, NC here! And, you are correct! I moved here about 4.5 years ago (from Salem, VA) and I kid you not....there is a Lexington Pork joint on every corner....or so it seems! But, I mean, it is pretty dang good! I do not eat it too often but it is good!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Skyline_Chili_Coney_Pack___3_Ways_on_foodydirect.jpg?1473267822

The only way I can post about a 3-Way and get away with it

In Virginia (and a little bit here in North Carolina) they call that "all the way"!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    In NC, there are 3 - seafood, BBQ and BBQ. Seafood down at the coast is fried soft shell crab, hush puppies and shrimp. BBQ in the eastern part of NC is shredded pork with vinegar. BBQ in the western part of the state is pork ribs or sliced brisket in a sweet tomato based sauce.

Winston-Salem, NC here! And, you are correct! I moved here about 4.5 years ago (from Salem, VA) and I kid you not....there is a Lexington Pork joint on every corner....or so it seems! But, I mean, it is pretty dang good! I do not eat it too often but it is good!

Besides the vinegar versus tomato based sauce debate, there is also the debate on whether or not slaw goes in the BBQ sandwich or is a side dish. :) In Winston Salem, you are just about right to get both kinds of BBQ from local restaurants.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options

Besides the vinegar versus tomato based sauce debate, there is also the debate on whether or not slaw goes in the BBQ sandwich or is a side dish. :) In Winston Salem, you are just about right to get both kinds of BBQ from local restaurants.

Yes, sir! I do. There is a really good place down off of 4th Street (which is the heart and soul of downtown) that is really really good. There is another place in the black community that is different from downtown, but just as good (different). Downtown, slaw is on the side. At the other place, you better not ask for the slaw on the side. You would get laughed at and told to get over it (literally!). Love different!
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm curious if anyone has ever heard of chocolate gravy and biscuits for breakfast? My family has always made this on weekend mornings, most people around here have never heard of it and find it bizzare. My mom said my grandma got the recipe from a small town in Arkansas I think. Don't knock it till you've tried it is what I always say! zsb23fm7oloe.jpg
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Another (former) Chicagoan here. As far as I know, no one actually eats a Chicago-style hot dog, but pretty much everyone eats Chicago-style pizza. My husband and children think it’s disgusting.

Now I’m in Silicon Valley, so I guess our weird food is farm to table everything.

Nah, I know plenty of Chicagoans who eat Chicago dogs - poppyseed bun, mustard, onion, pickle, tomato and sport peppers. Not a drop of ketchup in sight! But, I also know a ton of people who wouldn't dare skip out on the ketchup. They eat those hot dogs at home and not out in public.
  • longbranch92
    longbranch92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, cattle country, and when anyone has a branding, there’s always a feast of prairie oysters!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I live in Alberta, cattle country, and when anyone has a branding, there’s always a feast of prairie oysters!

Just no... LOL
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Hands down, Eastern North Carolina BBQ (vinegar based) is the best but my other local favorite is Chicken Pastry:
    gbm8qplmt5ok.jpg
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Brought to you from Pittsburgh, PA would be Primanti Brothers from the Strip District. This one happens to be pastrami. All traditional sandwiches are served with 2 thick slices of French bread with the meat, tomato, fries, slaw and an egg in between. 2nd pic is Pierogies smothered with butter and onions from PGH suburb McKees Rocks. Last but not least a Poppyseed Kolachi for dessert.

r04yiemuww01.jpg

sntldmktq7xm.jpg

0ws1vgh23wmu.jpg

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Hands down, Eastern North Carolina BBQ (vinegar based) is the best but my other local favorite is Chicken Pastry:
    gbm8qplmt5ok.jpg

Isn't that just Chicken and Dumplings?