anytime i do any exercise, it shows as negative towards my calories

Options
2»

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »
    thats really strange that it shows i only have 2000 steps, i have 3100 and that shows on the home page...

try going into garmin or fitbit or whatever app you use to track your steps and syncing. When my MFP steps are out of whack, usually syncing the original app and my watch fixes it. :smile:
    While you can constantly or repeatedly sync, the devices/apps aren't actually best used in that manner, when the goal is weight/fat loss.

You will encounter discrepencies as you've seen because even though some of the data appears to sync, it's not actually syncing in near real time. At best it's syncing every 15 minutes(which isn't to say that it's only syncing on the 15s-0/15/30/45 but rather that if it's been less than 15 minutes, it's probably going to show you cached data) . If you're continuously syncing the apps and devices, the primary result is going to be continued frustration, and your data isn't going to be higher quality or more useful)

Not saying to "constantly sync", just sharing an observation. I might manually sync once a day, if that, and it's usually because I see in MFP that it's missing my workout (but my "daily calorie adjustment" is showing calories that equate to my workout), and also notice that my steps are off. So I go manually sync my watch in Garmin Connect, and boom, my workout is now in MFP and my steps/daily calorie adjustment are correct.
  • agoofynut
    agoofynut Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    OP - In the screenshot you posted where you said it fixed it, look at your steps and see how out to the right it gave you a 10 calorie "credit" and then next to the elliptical it says 51. Add the 10 and 51 and that's the 61 calorie credit that shows at the top (giving you more calories to eat, if you wish). MFP has a number of steps that it thinks you should be getting a day (even being marked as sedentary), because barring a medical condition everyone gets in some steps a day. So earlier in the day when it was "broken" it was taking 250 calories away for your steps because you weren't even getting as many steps in the entire day as it expected for a sedentary person. Once your day caught up, it adjusted. (It showed -199 in the "broken" screen shot because the -250(for steps)+51(for elliptical) equals -199)

Personally, I'd turn it off but keep in mind that if you don't have at least 3000 steps, that you may not want to eat all 1450 calories since it looks like that's about where MFP expects you to be for 1450 to be effective for your goals.