why am I feeling hungry?

Options
annbobby
annbobby Posts: 2 Member
Hi everyone - I am a newbie and am finding it hard with calorie counting .... cannot understand why I always feel hungry both before and after eating... any help please - I have also increased the water intake

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    We'll need more information to try to help. To begin, how did you choose your calorie goal? Did it come from MFP? How much weight do you have to lose and what did you choose as your goal rate of loss per week? Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • annbobby
    annbobby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Jane

MFP gave the calorie goal of 1200 per day. I have chosen to lose 20lb. However, I am more than 4st overweight - so thinking small for now... I have not chosena goal loss per week ... just happy with anything at present. not as active as I would like to be.. will be working on this
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    annbobby wrote: »
    Hi Jane

MFP gave the calorie goal of 1200 per day. I have chosen to lose 20lb. However, I am more than 4st overweight - so thinking small for now... I have not chosena goal loss per week ... just happy with anything at present. not as active as I would like to be.. will be working on this

How did MFP give you a calorie goal if you didn't choose a rate of loss?

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    annbobby wrote: »
    Hi Jane

How did MFP give you a calorie goal if you didn't choose a rate of loss?

^ this! You had to have given MFP the information to go on to get 1200. MFP may have given you this calorie goal but only because of the information you put in. I would take a look at the guided set up again and make sure you have it set to "lose 1lb per week" or ".5 per week" if you want to go slower.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Also - make sure you have your activity level set up right - at 1200 I suspect you may have it set to sedentary which is fine but if so, you do really need log any activity you do on top of just breathing and eat back at least 50% of any calories you earn that way. Otherwisw you will not be fuelling your body, you will get very hungry and most stop under those conditions. This is not a race - slow and steady is a wise approach as we all need to unlearn those habits that made us overweight and learn to eat in a way which will keep us slim forever.
    Some really good advice in teh stickies at the top of each forum - a good one in the link provided above by @diannethegeek

It is normal to feel peckish as meals draw close but you shouldn't still be hungry having just eaten - nutrient dense and filling foods help. Good Luck
  • LisaMC1R
    LisaMC1R Posts: 34 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have the same problem! I can stay on task all day and maintain my goals, but then I get home from work and I finally eat dinner and it unleashes a monster in me. I can't stop eating and craving food! It's the hardest to overcome/deal with since I've started to make these food changes in my life. So I totally understand your pain and frustration. I'm there with you.
    Since you say you are new to the site are you also new to changing your food lifestyle? For me, it was a solid three weeks of feeling like I was absolutely starving before my body got used to the changes I was making. Try to muscle through the cravings. You are going to be hungry and it's no fun. It's the reality of it. But, it gets better. Much better. If you falter go right back after it the next day. Don't get discouraged. This site really helps with tips and the people here are very supportive. I have just started here myself and the scale hasn't budged after initially losing 15 lbs. It seems like I'm doing everything I'm supposed to. It can be very frustrating but I keep focusing forward and I don't let myself get down. At some point, I will find what works for me. I just have to keep up the good fight. Success is out there!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    Experiment with different types of food, and maybe have small, low calorie bites at the times you feel most hungry.

I had a real eye opener the past week. I usually have paprika and cucumber on my desk to get over the after lunch to dinner period. Works, kind of. But found that nibbling on radishes works much better. No idea why to be honest. maybe because they are less watery.