Does counting calories work?

Options
2»

Replies

• mamasara2
    mamasara2 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a month in and just now starting to see a shift on the scale. But I also take measurements of my bust, waist, and hips at the widest part. The measurements show an inch loss in all three areas, even when my weight was staying the same.
    I work to stay within mfp's recommended 1200 calories and eat back calories I've work off from exercise. I'm sure the weight would come off faster if I didn't eat them back, but I'm usually hungry by the ed of the day and that helps me not freak out and binge eat.

I would rather lose the weight slowly than do the quick loss followed by even more gain that comes with the fad diets.
    Like others have said before- I eat what I want but am learning about what foods are worth it and which ones are not. White rice was always a favorite of mine but I have no problem passing it up now that I know how high in calories it is.

Counting calories has been very empowering for me. It is simple. It is precise. It's way easier than feeling helpless and hopeless about being overweight.
  • premiumhoney
    premiumhoney Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yesss 1000x yes, simple because it’s so easy to over eat and not even know it
  • pcolestock
    pcolestock Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been on WW online and other similar plans and what I like is the journaling, counting calories because it keeps me accountable and helps me to PLAN!! When i don’t plan I fall off plan... I had lost 36 pounds over a year ago with the Medifast program but as soon as I stopped, I stopped being accountable and gained it all back. 😫 So starting MFP and going to get it right this time. 😉
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    zevzev18 wrote: »
    Hey guys! Any success with counting calories? How long did it take you to lose weight with your recommended consumption per day? Thanks!

100 lbs gone in 10 months (but that wasn't quite with the "recommended consumption")
    Maintaining within my goalweight-zone for 2 years now, but this with the recommended (weekly!) consumption.
  • Kwoconnor
    Kwoconnor Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yep absolutely it works. I lost nearly 30kg in 8 months doing calorie counting to a deficit. Give it a try for a month :smile:
  • Emmalovestorun
    Emmalovestorun Posts: 168 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    It's a no brainer, calories in versus calories out, win win situation, and a lifestyle change I'll stand by forever