Preworkout KETO

Options
Hey all,

I am looking for a new preworkout that would be good to have on keto. That means no artificial sweetners like sucralose, aspartame etc.
No carbs
No sugar

I am not looking for exogenous ketones. I want a good preworkout with L Citrulline Caffeine Arginine etc.. but without the useless added junk.

Any recommendation or should i buy all seperately and mix my own?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    My go to is coffee.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Coffee or caffeine pill. Cheap and effective.
  • jaycam1989
    jaycam1989 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    Coffee or caffeine pill. Cheap and effective.

Thanks but i already take that. Like my post said i want the other ingredients as well.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Can you buy the ingredients and make your own? That's what I would do. I am sensitive to sweeteners so I make my own shakes and stuff all the time.
  • jaycam1989
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Can you buy the ingredients and make your own? That's what I would do. I am sensitive to sweeteners so I make my own shakes and stuff all the time.

Thats what i think i will have to do. Even some "KETO" preworkouts have sucralose in them which clearly is not keto.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I don’t think 1-2g of carbs pre workout
    Is going have any impact on Keto
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jaycam1989 wrote: »

Thats what i think i will have to do. Even some "KETO" preworkouts have sucralose in them which clearly is not keto.

Do all sweeteners kick you out if ketosis even if there are no carbs? I don't know anything about keto
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

Do all sweeteners kick you out if ketosis even if there are no carbs? I don't know anything about keto

from what I have read the keto websites and communities say that some sweeteners raise insulin and blood glucose
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2887500
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2887503
  • tziol
    tziol Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    why not to buy L Citrulline Caffeine Arginine separate and mix together before workout? :)
  • jaycam1989
    Options
    tziol wrote: »
    why not to buy L Citrulline Caffeine Arginine separate and mix together before workout? :)

No choice i guess. Even the ones i have seen marketed as Keto have junk in them. It doesnt have to be sweet, just a good mix.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited July 2018
    Options

You are supposed to avoid these bad sweeteners unless you do a lazy/dirty keto. They have a bad impact on your body and can stall a weightloss by triggering your insulin response.

I doubt thats true in a calorie deficit. maybe @psuLemon or another can provide links to studies and so on. I consume foods with artificial sweeteners and it has not caused a stall in weight loss
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    tziol wrote: »

No choice i guess. Even the ones i have seen marketed as Keto have junk in them. It doesnt have to be sweet, just a good mix.

even protein can trigger an insulin response. its a normal bodily function. if you are diabetic though it may not be so great.
  • jaycam1989
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You are supposed to avoid these bad sweeteners unless you do a lazy/dirty keto. They have a bad impact on your body and can stall a weightloss by triggering your insulin response.

Lazy keto is not even a thing. Its a made up term. There is really only theroputic and modifed ketogenic diets.

Also, sweeteners don't stimulate insulin. Also, just so you know protein stimulates insulin, so does that mean you are going to avoid protein? And the role of insulin is to shuttle nutrients into the cell. So its a normal hormonal response.

You should look at legion pulse. Its a great pre workout that is properly dosaged with caffeine, Citrulline Malate and Beta Alanine.

Edited to clean things up.

Some sweeteners do have an impact and are higher on the glycemic index than others. Its been proven by science. But not everyone reacts the same way to all the artificial sweeteners. If i can avoid them, i do.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Lazy keto is not even a thing. Its a made up term. There is really only theroputic and modifed ketogenic diets.

Also, sweeteners don't stimulate insulin. Also, just so you know protein stimulates insulin, so does that mean you are going to avoid protein? And the role of insulin is to shuttle nutrients into the cell. So its a normal hormonal response.

You should look at legion pulse. Its a great pre workout that is properly dosaged with caffeine, Citrulline Malate and Beta Alanine.

Edited to clean things up.

Some sweeteners do have an impact and are higher on the glycemic index than others. Its been proven by science. But not everyone reacts the same way to all the artificial sweeteners. If i can avoid them, i do.

It wouldn't be the sweetener, it would be the bulking agents (largely maltodexrine). Nutritional sweeteners are generally less than a gram, so even if there a response, it would be so mimiscule.

You are probably better off buying bulk compounds and making your own; essentially, you would want Caffeine (300-500mg), Citrulline Malate (6-8g), and Beta Alanine (3-5g). And i dont think there is sufficient evidence that Arginine does anything at this point.

Having said all of this, they will still probably have a few grams of carbs which doesn't really matter since you are managing them in total anyways.

And this doesn't even get in the discussion that insulin isnt scary and that fat storage occurs regardless (i.e., dietary fat suppresses HSL via ASP).