Exercise is great, but it's all about the food!!

Options
As a lot of you know, I get LOTS of exercise, especially when I'm doing or training for my endurance events. I know another woman that runs more than I do and has even done some 100 milers!! She is also trying to lose weight. We both agree that you NEED to exercise, but if you eat badly, it's hard to lose weight!! Just sayin'.......

Replies

• shantie10
    shantie10 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I so agree!!!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Proper diet is 80% or more of any exercise regimen.
  • memobe
    memobe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I totally and 100% agree! I am a runner, have done a couple of half-marathons, 10K races, I exercise very regularly and actually love it. I have no problem with the exercise part. However, if I don't eat right.....I don't lose. The exercise alone is not enough. A lot of people say to me "with all the exercise you do you should be able to eat what you want". So wrong...for me anyway.
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    You can't WORKOUT a bad diet. :-) 100% agree!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I have to disagree with that statement but would like to see that modified to say: "You can't get good results without proper diet"
  • HappyLuna
    HappyLuna Posts: 112
    Options
    Makes perfect sense. Unless you are fueling your body correctly, how can you expect it to improve? Exercise and a bad diet are a messy combination. Balanced diets include treats too, so your not deprived.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    For me, it's 98% knowing I can,2% diet, and 2% exercise (:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

because you like to give 102%, it's a little better than 100%...

;)
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Although I don't disagree, I know weight-loss is 80% nutrition 20% exercises HOWEVER, to be devil’s advocate if this is the case then why do we all workout extra hard to have a treat and other than the slight increase in fuel required we insist on eating back ALL exercise calories when a deficit of 0-900 is more than safe to lose weight and avoid starvation mode.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Although I don't disagree, I know weight-loss is 80% nutrition 20% exercises HOWEVER, to be devil’s advocate if this is the case then why do we all workout extra hard to have a treat and other than the slight increase in fuel required we insist on eating back ALL exercise calories when a deficit of 0-900 is more than safe to lose weight and avoid starvation mode.

Maybe most MPF's do that, but I didn't, no exercise calories eaten here. Diet was my primary focus :)
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. A huge part of weight loss, fat loss etc is WHAT you eat. Not just how many calories you consume. You need to eat nutritionally dense foods with the right balance of carbs, fats and proteins. Our bodies are complex machines that need a tricky balance of nutrition. Just because a banana and a Nabisco snack pack each have 100 calories, those 100 calories are not equivalent. Read the book Eat to Live for some really great info on this.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Amen! Studies have been done with people who went from normal activity to endurance athletes training for marathons and they only took off 5 pounds in the months of training. Yes you need exercise to keep your heart and muscle mass healthy but proper diet is the biggest part. Exercise especially weight lifting and low level cardio are great for building muscle mass and becoming less fat in body composition but without a good diet the overall weight will not change much.
  • jjgirl76
    jjgirl76 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    100% agree. I actually gained 10 pounds while training for my last marathon. I used the 18, 19, 20 mile runs as an excuse to stuff whatever I wanted into my face.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. I gained weight up to my heaviest - 14 stone (196lb) - when I was training for a marathon as I thought it gave me a license to eat
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Time Magazine had a good article about this is 2009, "Why Exercise Won't Make You Thin."

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1914974,00.html

After I read it, my thought was, "No duh--calories in, calories out."
  • Keemeri
    Keemeri Posts: 74
    Options
    So...since we all agree on diet being very important..

What is everyone's main diet to follow that works for you?? This should be interesting..:smile:
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    My partner rode her bicycle across the USA, from San Diego CA to Ft Lauderdale FL, 3900 miles over 58 days and only lost 13 lbs.
    Everyone ate all sorts of stuff, because they needed energy....right!
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    As for diet.... I try to limit processed foods and rarely eat in restaurants. I work in a restaurant and bring my own food to eat. People ask why. I tell them that if I ate the food I serve everyday, I'd be so fat I couldn't walk!! I try to eat fresh, whole foods. I am not perfect and have my popcorn and ice cream, but I have been consistantly losing over the last 3 months. :bigsmile:
  • Monika135
    Options

because you like to give 102%, it's a little better than 100%...

;)

Holy crap....I'm hysterical right now....