Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

"Dietland" book and AMC series

kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
I downloaded the book from my library after seeing the promo on AMC. Couldn't sleep last night and am 3/4 through the book.

Who has read it? Who is planning on watching? Who is boycotting? :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietland

Dietland was selected as one of Entertainment Weekly's 10 Best Books of 2015.[7] The magazine gave the novel an "A" grade, calling it "a thrilling, incendiary manifesto disguised as a beach read."[11] Kirkus Reviews described Dietland as "hilarious, surreal, and bracingly original," concluding: "Part Fight Club, part feminist manifesto, an offbeat and genre-bending novel that aims high—and delivers."

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I've read it, and didn't like it that much, but I was at an airport during a significant part of my read, which I always think is unfair to the book.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Interesting. I’ll add it to my “want to read” list lol
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    seems like an easy summer read :-) I am downloading from Hoopla/my library.
  • kshama2001
    CTcutie wrote: »
    seems like an easy summer read :-) I am downloading from Hoopla/my library.

I almost never pay for books anymore thanks to having access to three library systems' digital book collections. :smile:

I should warn you, though, that parts of it are disturbing and so I would not classify it as an "easy summer read."
  • kshama2001
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I've read it, and didn't like it that much, but I was at an airport during a significant part of my read, which I always think is unfair to the book.

I really disliked the makeover / blind date parts but haven't finished it yet so don't know if there was a point to that that will become clear.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    I loved the book. I don't know anything about the show. If you are expecting it to be about dieting/body positivity, you may be disappointed. Those are related side issues in a larger commentary about the objectification of women's bodies.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    I just saw the first episode on TV last night. I read an unfavorable review in my local paper so decided to see for myself. I liked it. Great actors! It kept me watching the whole way through. I'm not sure I agree with some of the messages in it, but it definitely speaks to me and doesn't sugarcoat life in this man's world. I didn't know there was a book, too, so I'll have to look for it. (Hubby did not care for it at all, so I will have to watch them without him.)
  • kshama2001
    @lisabinco thanks for the update!

We just ditched regular Comcast for Hulu streaming and I can't get Dietland there :(

I guess it will be my "Watch on Amazon Prime with digital credits" show.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    It is on Roku I believe. Maybe a friend has Roku and you can binge watch the first 3 episodes together?
  • kshama2001
    lisabinco wrote: »
    It is on Roku I believe. Maybe a friend has Roku and you can binge watch the first 3 episodes together?

I'd get a Roku if that was the case, but you have to already have cable :(

https://blog.roku.com/amc-now-available-on-the-roku-platform

...Customers who subscribe to AMC through a participating cable, satellite or telco provider can stay current with full episodes and video extras from your favorite AMC originals, including The Walking Dead, Preacher, Fear the Walking Dead, Better Call Saul and more. In-season full episodes are available the day after they air with your TV provider log in.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Loved this book! I finished it in two days. It is not "light" reading and parts of it are disturbing, but it's worth it. Caveat: I lived through the 70's "I am woman hear me roar", bra burning, women's right era and this is an important topic to me. This reminded me a bit of The Women's Room by Marilyn French, but Dietland was actually much more upbeat. Not ashamed to admit that I felt some admiration for the frontier justice applied to the men that abused women (and the women that enabled that abuse).
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Forgot to add that if you are offended by slang terms for body parts and blunt language, you will not like the tv series. I think they are doing an excellent job with the show and Joy Nash is great as Plum.
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    I read the book, and loved it, when it first came out and I'm enjoying the series now. I don't agree with every aspect, but the overall commentary on how much we women are judged by our appearance and our own complicity in this, was certainly mind expanding.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    I realize it's about much more than the dieting world, but I do think it reinforces the victim mentality. In reality, we are all responsible for what we put in our bodies. The main character doesn't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet. While it might be her perception, it is not reality. But, I do like the show. It shows the reality of an obese woman. Obese women are almost invisible on the screen, despite being nearly 40% of the population. Also, it does show a realistic portrayal of how obese women are treated/ ignored / abused. We almost never see that ugly reality.
  • kshama2001
    I realize it's about much more than the dieting world, but I do think it reinforces the victim mentality. In reality, we are all responsible for what we put in our bodies. The main character doesn't lose weight on a 1200 calorie diet. While it might be her perception, it is not reality. But, I do like the show. It shows the reality of an obese woman. Obese women are almost invisible on the screen, despite being nearly 40% of the population. Also, it does show a realistic portrayal of how obese women are treated/ ignored / abused. We almost never see that ugly reality.

Right, I was picturing her coming to the MFP forums and saying she wasn't losing weight on her diet :lol:
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member

Having just watched Season 1 from the Pilot to Belly of the Beast, I have to agree with walkingtorunning.

Appreciate the plug kshama2001.
  • kshama2001
    I think later this week when I'm out of commission due to my period will be the perfect time to binge watch.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I think later this week when I'm out of commission due to my period will be the perfect time to binge watch.

I did that yesterday, before my period, to distract myself from hunger pangs ... It worked, until I broke my fast with Almond meal porridge with berries this AM.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    I've never seen the show or read the book, but the first snippet I ever watched of the (relatively new, I guess) spinoff/accompaniment show (Unapologetic with Aisha Tyler) was good /interesting. Should I have understood one story before diving into the other?
  • kshama2001
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I've never seen the show or read the book, but the first snippet I ever watched of the (relatively new, I guess) spinoff/accompaniment show (Unapologetic with Aisha Tyler) was good /interesting. Should I have understood one story before diving into the other?

Hmm, I don't know anything about Unapologetic.