Worst diet advice/misinformation that you have heard

Options

Replies

• PangPangPrincess109
    PangPangPrincess109 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    A student recently told me that in order to lose weight, you should only eat between the hours of 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Anything after that is unhealthy and makes you gain weight like crazy.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Luckily it is always between 7am and 4pm somewhere. How old was this student?
  • PangPangPrincess109
    PangPangPrincess109 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Luckily it is always between 7am and 4pm somewhere. How old was this student?

Mid-thirties.
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Runnermom419
    Please don't stop spinning! I use to spin, but had a health issue and my Dr. told me to stop. Recently, because I've managed to lose weight and my health improved. I asked him am I limited on exercise. He said no!
    Trust me. They're just learning. When I told them I lost weight on IF, all they could say was "Oh".
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    How about swimming isn’t real exercise.
  • Bann554
    Bann554 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Also, worst advice. Went to a nutritionist and she gave me three pieces of paper. Read them to me like I was a child (I'm 66) and said see you in a week. Brought my health info. She never looked at them. I never went back. Worst advice could also be no advice! I started back on IF and exercising.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If swimming isn't a real exercise, why do I feel like death after 2 laps?
    Bann554 wrote: »
    Runnermom419
    Please don't stop spinning! I use to spin, but had a health issue and my Dr. told me to stop. Recently, because I've managed to lose weight and my health improved. I asked him am I limited on exercise. He said no!
    Trust me. They're just learning. When I told them I lost weight on IF, all they could say was "Oh".

Thank you! I still go to class from time to time, but much prefer running outside these days and biking outdoors.

• AmberGlitterSparkles
    edited July 2018
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! If swimming isn't a real exercise, why do I feel like death after 2 laps?
    Bann554 wrote: »
    Runnermom419

Thank you! I still go to class from time to time, but much prefer running outside these days and biking outdoors.

Exactly! I was talking about how I’m doing aqua jogging etc because it’s much easier on my knees and joints etc. First, they went on to tell me how it was a myth that running was bad for your knees and joints ( which may or may not be true but it certainly kills me). Then, that I was actually not doing myself any favors by playing in the pool.
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    When I go to the gym in July I see people with sweat pants with a hoodie, zipped up tight the hood tied tight around their head because...'you sweat more so you burn more calories.', They know this because they weigh themselves after they workout.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    The worst trend is not necessarily the idea of fasted exercise (nowadays I can understand that, albeit reluctantly), but the many messy interpretations thereof. My old friend, as one of countless examples, says that, to be fasted, there can be no food OR DRINK anywhere near you, let alone in you, before, during or for the rest of the morning after your exercise. What, no (at least) snack and water (or better yet, sports drink) by your side during a humid summer run? *fake-faints* :cold_sweat: Uh, honey, (although it doesn’t leave a wound like other methods) that’s SELF-HARM.
  • Keto_N_Iron
    Keto_N_Iron Posts: 5,385 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    That you shouldn't eat carbs.

Shush
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    The worst trend is not necessarily the idea of fasted exercise (nowadays I can understand that, albeit reluctantly), but the many messy interpretations thereof. My old friend, as one of countless examples, says that, to be fasted, there can be no food OR DRINK anywhere near you, let alone in you, before, during or for the rest of the morning after your exercise. What, no (at least) snack and water (or better yet, sports drink) by your side during a humid summer run? *fake-faints* :cold_sweat: Uh, honey, (although it doesn’t leave a wound like other methods) that’s SELF-HARM.

That just sounds dangerous!
  • BrSpiritus
    BrSpiritus Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I remember in the 80's it was the rage for a short while to wrap yourself in cling wrap under your clothes then go on a run... sheesh
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    I do remember that, people would pass out.
  • seanlovegrove
    seanlovegrove Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I guess it’s not advice but I’ve got a friend who’s trying like hell to bulk on a keto diet and isn’t having any success. He can’t figure out why. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤔
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    Options
    LouisTamsi wrote: »
    I remember in the 80's it was the rage for a short while to wrap yourself in cling wrap under your clothes then go on a run... sheesh

People still do that lol!
  • DoubleUbea
    Options
    Right up there with the inverted bars where people would hang upside down.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Sugar-Free Gummy Bear Diet....

To be fair, anecdotal evidence suggests that this one really works, if the Amazon reviews are anything to go by... though I wouldn't recommend it for long-term success. :)
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Kullerva wrote: »
    Sugar-Free Gummy Bear Diet....

To be fair, anecdotal evidence suggests that this one really works, if the Amazon reviews are anything to go by... though I wouldn't recommend it for long-term success. :)

Isnt it like taking a laxative ?