Lazy summer days

Options
Since summer started I just can’t seem to get into the groove with a regular workout routine. I don’t want to be indoors, because it’s beautiful out. And I don’t want to workout outdoors because we’re in the middle of a heat wave.
I’m not too worried because overall I’m doing more, moving more and eating more veggies (and I *have* kept a daily yoga practice) I also recently entered maintenance and while I would like to recomp maybe that will wait til fall.
How about you? How do you beat the heat, or do you?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can workout for one hour indoors in an AC gym and then spend 23 hours enjoying the outdoors (in the shade).
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    We just had a heat wave last two weeks.

I either did early morning workouts outside before it got super hot out. Other days I did gym workouts, workouts in my gym in my basement, or at the gym at work on my lunch hour.

Also did walks with the kids after dinner when it cooled off a bit.

But my main workouts are gym based anyways. Its only an hour.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Swimming, swimming, swimming.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    We don't have health concerns (or very young/old), so we embrace the heat wave by going out for walks. We bring water and walk along the river, so that the kids and dog can play in it. For the pup, I keep her on the grass to protect her paws. There's only one larger road that we have to cross that might be hot on her paws, but we run it (that's how I manage the hot sand at the beach lol) and then the river is on the other side. Sometimes we stop at soccer field to run a little bit too.

We also go to the beach. The kids and pup love to swim, so we can easily spend an afternoon outside playing and moving around.

We don't do strenuous exercise during the heat waves.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    I do a workout in the morning as soon as I get up. Then I take my time having coffee, feeding and taking my dogs out. Then, I alternate gym and pool days. Sometimes I go for a walk at the park too because it's shady there. I spend most of the afternoons inside.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Riding a bike is great in a heat wave. Going ,20 mph through hot, still air is like having a nice breeze. I swear the only time I sweat is at red lights.

Swimming is a great option, too.

And you can always shower and put on clean clothes when you finish.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,994 Member
    Options
    Yep ... cycling on hot days is great. :)

Back when I lived in a place where we actually had hot days, on weekends I'd often cycle to a lake or swimming pool, go swimming, then cycle back.
  • AlleriaEating
    AlleriaEating Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I recently moved to the Pacific Northwest and we're looking at our first heatwave of the season at... 80 degrees, but I used to live in a hot climate! Swimming, man. I would just straight up plop into a lake. I also used to go to a zumba class first thing in the morning, before it got hot, so I could scramble home, take a cold shower, board up the house and snooze through the hottest part of the day.
  • sapnamrith2018
    sapnamrith2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Was putting off exercise due to the summer here. Not helping me though and these messages are really an inspiration. I’m getting started tomorrow with the treadmill 😊. At 5’3” weighing 80kgs .. need to shed at least 5 kgs by end of the month,
  • gutsnglory6
    gutsnglory6 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the inspiration. I bought a canoe this weekend, so I think that will help with the summer exercise!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Canoe is a great way to enjoy life. Way better than staying on the couch.
  • mkculs
    mkculs Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I’m in Florida for July. I go for my jog once the sun is fairly low on the horizon. It is still very hot (91 when I went out today) with high humidity. I think of sweat as a badge of honor :) I’m careful to acclimate, drink lots of water/replace electrolytes, and listen to my body. Once I get going, I don’t notice the heat. I wish I could say that about the cold—I live in WI.